Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #1
DyzfunktionDazz
Registered

Smile Skinnin Fishies!!!

I was just wondering if the fish in the Aquarium ScreenSaver have SKINS? I know you can get more fish and all... but thats not what Im talkin about. Anyone that is an online gamer knows what I mean by skins.... I am wondering if there is a way to take the Skin file for one of the fish and edit it to look a certain way in the screensaver.
I wanna customize these fish with like a logo on the side or sumthin like dat! I just thought it would be fun.. plus there could be tons of freakish species going around that could be traded between forum users!!! Thatd be FUN! ... If anyone knows about this... let me know.. I wanna tweak my fish!!!
~Dan
Old 02-09-2002, 03:43 PM   #2
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Angry

Sorry DyzfunktionDazz , Mr Sachs has said from the beginning that we will not be able to change anything in his tank .
Old 02-09-2002, 04:41 PM   #3
HellBound
Registered

WElp you can make the skins then edit them in by using a hex editor. I recommend hex workshop.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

"freakish species going around that could be traded between forum users!!! "

My worst nightmare come true.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Old 02-09-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

why in the world would you want to skin a MASTER PIECE!!
whoa!!
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

Old 02-09-2002, 07:33 PM   #6
Socrates
Sage

You know it just occured to me that I ought to recolor that Picasso I have laying around in the garage.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Old 02-09-2002, 08:37 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

"Welcome to the Louvre, Monsieur. Here's your complimetary can of spray paint. The Mona Lisa is straight ahead."
Jim Sachs
Old 02-09-2002, 09:08 PM   #8
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Angry

hehehehehehehehehehe go for it .
Old 02-11-2002, 02:28 PM   #9
hpman77
Blue Angel

"Welcome to the El Prado museum. You'll enjoy the Velazquez master pieces better if, just for 1 euro more, you can buy a nice box full of crayons"

Anyway, I must say I woul love to skin some fishes (actually the picasso triggerfish scares me, it's like a ghost fish) and I bet some fishies have almost the same shape, and you could make more fishes... but anyway, Jim will give us more fishes, so it's no problem

About museums and crayons... I would consider a crime to paint over Velazquez's art, but I would buy 2 boxes of crayons for the Miro's museum for sure. Those drawings are uglier than any you can see at a kindergarten!
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:51 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim Sachs quipped:
"Welcome to the Louvre, Monsieur. Here's your complimetary can of spray paint. The Mona Lisa is straight ahead."
At least Jim isn't depressed about his own work.

So when are your fish going to smirk like Ms. Lisa?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Old 02-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

They may not smirk, but the Lionfish pouts.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-18-2002, 03:51 PM   #12
Goose
Registered

modifications of screensaver

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
I will agree that your screen saver is pretty impressive. However I think it is pretty vain to compare your work to the Mona Lisa and other works of arts.

I know you don't like modifications of your program but I personally don't see the harm of it as long as it is for personal use only.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You and I both may not like a paritcular mod. However I think if the person who made it thinks its cool, then it's cool in my opinion as well.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:55 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

As we have discussed many times before, the trouble is that these modifications made for personal use always manage to find their way onto the Internet. Then they are suddenly associated with my name, which for me is the worst thing that could happen.

I am not greedy. I've carved out the tiniest niche for my products, and left everything else in the world open for other developers to explore. There is probably a huge market for customizable fish and aquariums, so go for it!

Since Morgan has closed the other thread on this subject (probably rightly), I'll just make one more comment. To all those who think that I should happily endorse the modification of my creation by anyone who feels like it, please read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand so you'll know my position.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-18-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:09 PM   #14
gregzbobo
Registered

It'd be like taking a sharpie marker and drawing a moustache and goatee on the Mona Lisa. da Vinci would roll in his grave. The man worked his tail off to make this screensaver, I for one would not want anyone to go doing all kinds of changes and then say hmmm, this looks cool, I'll post it on the usenet and let every tom dick and harry in the world download it. I would imagine you wouldn't like if some creation of yours was messed with in a similar fashion and distributed to everybody and their dog. I know I wouldn't. The screensaver is fine the way it is. I say if you want to skin some fishes, go write some code and make your own screensaver and put whatever skins you want on the fishies. I don't mean to sound harsh, apologies in advance.
Athlon XP 1600+
512 megs PC2100 DDR RAM
Gigabyte GA-7DXR
dual 40 gig Maxtor in RAID 0
Windows XP Professional
GeForce 4 ti4600 with nvidia 40.41 BETA reference drivers
Getting up to 80 fps in the saver at 1152 X 864 @ 75 hertz screen resolution.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:32 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim has made his position clear. Closing the thread.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Closed Thread
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive