Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
srelliott
Registered

Screen Saver Mode Not Working (4 Screens)

Hi Jim, Just want to preface this by saying have loved the aquarium for years. I'm running version 3.1 and just recently acquired 4 monitors. I'm running on Win 7 64-bit. When I launch SSMA3 either via a double click on the icon or by previewing from the screen savers tab, it spans all 4 screens flawlessly. (Just have to saw it look awesome spanned across 4 21" monitors!!) Here's the rub. When the screen saver launches after 10 minutes of inactivity it displays the SSMA3 logo on all 4 screens then goes wacky. Monitors 1 & 3 are blank and 2 & 4 flicker very quickly the aquarium. Please let me know if you need any more information. Thank you, Shannon
srelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've never tried it on four screens (or even three), but there are several members of the Forum who have. Hopefully, they will chime in with some helpful suggestions.

There really shouldn't be any difference launching it from the icon or letting it come up automatically.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
philosopher
Registered

I've seen this

I've seen this same behaviour, but with only two monitors and have reported it before. I've had it go away with certain graphic card updates and then reappear with new graphic card updates - back and forth over the last two years.

I have no idea what the actual cause is, but I only see it when the aquarium starts as a screen saver. The specific behaviour is that one monitor is black - the other monitor flashes again and again black then image, black then image.

One interesting thing is that if I leave it flash it eventually starts working properly. Another item of interest is that if I press the space bar, click into the display settings or fish settings (not changing anything) and then click the "OK" buttons to return, that sometimes sorts things out right away.

I don't know if any of that gives a hint as to what might be happening?

It would be interesting to see if the screen saver starts working on four monitors by waiting or accessing the settings as I find it does on my two monitors.

If you really can't live with those two "fixes" then you may want to try different graphic card driver versions. I always install the latest and greatest, but like I mentioned earlier some of the drivers I've used have this problem and some haven't.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
srelliott
Registered

Hi Justin, Thanks for your response. I actually tried the space bar fix and played with settings to no avail. I also have tried leaving it over night (twice no) to no avail. I suspected a drive incompatibility, unfortunately, I'm currently running the latest driver versions. I just find it very odd that it should do this only when launched as a screen saver. It would seem the API(s) is/are called differently (from a different memory space, perhaps ) when launched via automatic screen saver, which in itself is surprising.... well, perhaps not, after all, it's M$.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
srelliott
Registered

Solution Found

Hi Jim and all, I figured out what is causing this.... It happens only if I ask the screen saver to lock the computer ("On resume, display logon screen"). If I uncheck that, the problem goes away. Also, if I lock the computer (Windows Key + L) and let the screen saver launch, the problem crops up again. I'm joined to an Active Directory Domain, so I use a domain login. Not at home to test if this problem occurs on a non-domain machine. -- Shannon
Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Great - thanks for your perserverance in trouble-shooting this. I'll take a look at the code, but this may be a Windows thing.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I believe Alan over at DA put a fair bit of work into this and concluded that it is indeed a Windows thing. Not to say you shouldn't have a look Jim, fresh eyes and everything...
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
philosopher
Registered

Non-Domain

Originally posted by srelliott:
Hi Jim and all, I figured out what is causing this.... It happens only if I ask the screen saver to lock the computer ("On resume, display logon screen"). If I uncheck that, the problem goes away. Also, if I lock the computer (Windows Key + L) and let the screen saver launch, the problem crops up again. I'm joined to an Active Directory Domain, so I use a domain login. Not at home to test if this problem occurs on a non-domain machine. -- Shannon  
I have had this happen on both domain and non-domain machines.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
geomath49456
Registered

I just bought the SAMA3 and when the screensaver kicks in on my quad monitor setup, it just flickers and nothing happens, exactly as what srelliott described on his post. The only way is to double tap the spacebar during the flicker and it starts working. Not sure what is going on in the background, has anybody come close in finding a resolution. Thanks.
geomath49456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
geomath49456
Registered

The computer is in a domain environment and the only way it works is to uncheck "On Resume, display logon screen". But if it is turned on it is back to the flickering.
geomath49456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I'm sorry, I can't help you.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sounds like a heavy Windows thing. Edgar is the Windows expert here, maybe he has some ideas.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #13
sca
Registered

Screen Flickering

Was there ever a fix for this? I am seeing the same thing - just built a new machine nvidia card - dual HDMI monitors.

won't run if the "lock on resume" is checked... if I uncheck it, it works fine.
sca is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows