Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-21-2001, 03:32 AM   #1
ajlaban
Registered

Fish Icons

Dear Jim and Morgan,

Forgive me for starting a new topic on this. Some time ago Morgan uploaded an icon library with all of the fish in the tank. I saw it yesterday and downloaded it but in looking for the topic just now I could not find it.

The icons are great but are 32 x 32. I use and prefer 48 x 48 icons and I do quite a lot of icon creation. I immediately converted the icons to 48 x 48 true color but the results were blocky as I expected. So, I am currently creating 48 x 48 true color icons for all of the fish in the tank directly from the bitmaps found in the "in the tank" and "wish list" sections of this site. So far I've done my favorites: the Clown Trigger, the Percula Clown and the Powder Blue Tang and am quite pleased with the results.

I would be happy to upload them if someone tells me how. The thought occurs to me that 48 x 48 true color icons might be just the ticket for Jim to include in his fish selection menu when he gets to that part of his wonderful project.
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:50 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Fish Icons

<font size=+1>FISH ICONS</font>

My 32 x 32 (regular size) icons for Windows:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/Sachs99G.icl

Hooters' 48 x 48 icons (must have large icons turned on):

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/Sachs99Jlarge.icl

Tiny's 32 x 32 (regular size) icons for Windows:
(these include some Wishlist fish too)

http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85826205/i...0FishIcons.zip

and the older archive...
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/Sachs(256col).zip
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-26-2002 at 12:37 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 04:06 AM   #3
ajlaban
Registered

Morgan,

Windows98. I've used 48 x 48 icons since Windows95 came out. The detail possible in a well designed 48 x 48 true color icon vis a vis the 32 x 32 is amazing!
Old 03-21-2001, 04:42 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

After screwing around for 15 minutes, I realized that maybe you're talking about "Use Large Icons" under Display properties. Of course, this makes EVERY icon huge. Even in 1024 x 768, these icons are just too big. Wish I could use this for some icons but not all...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-21-2001, 05:36 AM   #5
ajlaban
Registered

Morgan,

It takes a short while to get used to it but soon, particularly in 1024 x 768 or higher resolution, its very liveable. I limit my desktop icons to 4 columns and use the Microsoft Office task bar for the rest (the icons there are the size of those in the system tray).

On a quality rather than quantity basis, I'm quite proud of my desktop and every icon has a transparent background, is personally crafted, and the text boxes underneath are transparent to minimize any appearance of clutter.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:44 AM   #6
hooters
Percula Clown

RE:fish icons

i also use the transparent code for my desktop icons but seeing this post made me look at the fish icons and now there seeming pretty small compared to ur average app, icons - i cant figure out how to resize them withought messing up there apearance - so if u can make them a little bigger so they match size of a (normal) desktop app, icon go for it; if u nead a place to upload them let me know i have a 25MB acount just sitting empty if u want to put them out for dload
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 01:08 PM   #7
ajlaban
Registered

Re: RE:fish icons

Hooter,

Actually the fish icons you have are standard size. They use the complete 32 pixel width but since most fish are wider than they are tall, in transparent mode they take up only a fraction of the vertical 32 pixels. Since realism is what we want we certainly can't resize the vertical without the horizontal.

That is my whole case for using 48 pixel icons. The fish now are 48 pixels wide at their longest but in transparent mode take up only a fraction of the 48 x 48 screen real estate and as long as you use only transparent "large icons" on the desktop it does not appear to be cluttered. I do avoid, like the plague, using 48 x 48 non transparent icons because they appear huge on the desktop. But the 48 x 48 icons show incredible detail versus the 32 x 32. Think of it in terms of viewing a monitor with the respective pixels converted to inches!

I would be happy to upload these to your site. When they are done I'll let you know. I wish I could post a sample here of the few I've done but converting them back to bitmaps would show the whole 48 x 48 frame and defeat the purpose. Actually, I would like to use my Clown Trigger 48 x 48 image with background transparency under my name to the left of my posts but I don't know how to do it. If anyone does I would like to hear how.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:32 PM   #8
ajlaban
Registered

Re: RE:fish icons

Hooters,

Sorry I omitted the "s" on your screen name.

In scrolling up in this thread I noticed the image of the Percula Clown that Morgan uses under his name on his posts.
I did a quick capture of it in a 48 x 48 frame. The fish itself is exactly 51 pixels wide. My capture left off one pixel on the right and two on the left. His image is from the "in the tank" section of his site and that is the same image I used for the 48 x 48 icon of the Percula Clown sans the background. Of course I used other capture means so that I had the whole fish in my image to work with. The point is that the detail of the Percula Clown in Morgan's signature image is virtually what you see in my icon -- this will give you some idea.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:04 PM   #9
hooters
Percula Clown

Re: Fish Icons*(ajlaban)*

HTML Comments are not allowed
Old 03-21-2001, 03:35 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't know about HTML not being allowed, I switched it on a while ago and haven't bothered to switch it off, since nobody is abusing it.

As for having a 48x48 pixel graphic with transparency, unless EZBoard supports a GIF, I don't think you'll be able to do this. Check out your Control Room.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:47 PM   #11
hooters
Percula Clown

I dont know what happened there with the HTML thingy i dont have it checked ; and just typed out a message to ajlaban
and that came out instead it happ, once before
Old 03-22-2001, 06:30 AM   #12
hooters
Percula Clown

*ajlaban- no prob- just drop a post when there done if u nad an upload space i'll give u my user/password for my online storage.
2./ i tried to respond to ur post on how to get ur pic to show up but it didnt come out in the board - however Feldon posted about it .
TTYLater
Old 03-22-2001, 06:51 AM   #13

icons

I'm fairly new to this site, so can anyone tell me where I can download the icons and perhaps how to go about switching icons?
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:03 AM   #14
ajlaban
Registered

Hooters,

Thanks. I have 7 fish done so far. I'll be working on both items you indicate.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:09 AM   #15
ajlaban
Registered

Re: icons

Solarcircle01,

Write Morgan about the icon file he uploaded. I forget which topic it appears in.

As to changing icons, etc, I would be happy to help you if you write me at my own email address: ajlaban@adelphia.net. I do not think that topic is appropriate to this forum.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:59 AM   #16
hooters
Percula Clown

Ajlaban that cool ive emailed ya my user info ok have a good one
Old 03-24-2001, 02:31 AM   #17
ajlaban
Registered

Hooters,

Just uploaded the 48x48 true color icon library file to your site under the file name: 48x48fish.icl.

As with everything in this world this too is a work in progress. I'm probably 85% satisfied with the library. A few of the fish, particularly the Royal Gramma and the Regal Tang would not cooperate in the tank by taking the correct upward or downward angle for screen capture -- due to their length they need to take a sharp diagonal position to maximize their size in the icon field. The still pictures I could find of them elsewhere were too horizontal. Also, a few of the other fish, like the Powder Blue Tang could use more size by a capture in a diagonal position but it is one of the first I did and I like it for now.

As to your request to increase the size of the Clown Percula vertically, I would prefer not to distort the realistic image. I did include in the library a total of 4 Clown Percula images. Two are captures of the newer more orange clown in the tank and since the captures were taken at sharper diagonal planes they are a bit larger. If they are still not big enough for your purpose, I included a mini-school of two clowns in one icon that gives you "more" fish!

I will leave it to you to extend the invitation to the forum generally to download this file since it is your site. Also, I extend to you and the forum members generally all rights to download and use the contents of 48x48fish.icl for any purpose whatever.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:50 AM   #18
hooters
Percula Clown

FISH ICONS FROM (Ajlaban)now out for dload

Ok great work Ajlaban that 2 fish group of clowns is just what i wanted - it did the trick perfectly thnx for ur hard work and time on this .
It's much appr, have a gr8 day ..
any-one interested in these icons can go to my online storage and dload them the url is www.MySpace.com
my user/password is hooters/hooters
once u click on the icon file to dload them a window warning will pop up and ask if u want to instal what it says -U must click yes in order for ur dload to start - all it does is activate the java applet that is neaded to start the dload - have fun and drop aljaban a thnx

Incase any-one neads a reminder how to install icons from an (ICL) file -heres the lowdown...

*Installing Icons (stored in ICL or DLL icon library format) in Windows 95/98/NT/ME*

Right click the Windows 95/98/NT shortcut file whose icon you want to change.
Select properties from the drop down menu.
Select "Shortcut" tab
Select "Change Icon" button.
IMPORTANT! - Set the "Change Icon" dialog to show all files by setting "Files of Type" drop-menu to "All Files"
Select "Browse", choose the ICL (or DLL) file which contains the icons and open it. Now you can view the contents of the icon library.
Double click the icon you want, select "Apply" from the properties menu.

HOOTERS.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:57 AM   #19
hooters
Percula Clown

typo in ur name lol sorry bro his name is ajlaban

somewhere in my post i mixed the spelling up -Ill learn to turn on my lights or get a biger key-board lol
Old 03-25-2001, 06:24 PM   #20

myspace

Hi,
I went to www.myspace.com and filled in the username as hooters and the pass as hooters - and was told that was incorrect. Then I tried username as hooters/hooters and pass as hooters/hooters.
Perhaps you gave the wrong username and pass?
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive