Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-17-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:54 AM.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim hasn't said anything about this, not for lack of asking.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Shinsa
Registered

"We could simply use CTRL ALT DEL to remove the tank..."

... or possibly just double click the window. Many apps allready have this feature. Double click the window, and the title bar goes away. Double click to bring it back.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 04-17-2002, 09:17 PM   #4
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:08 PM   #5
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I should be able to do it without a degree in computer programming from MIT!
Why is the customer (you) always right if you want to use it in a fashion not intended or supported by the manufacturer (Jim)? If you bought a blender and wanted to use it as a ceiling fan, would you expect the company that made it to perform the conversion for you?

/Tiny Ego
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:41 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

just some guy,

No one said that we didn't understnad your request. But Tiny has a point. If Jim was selling Ferrari's and you bought one, would you feel justified in being upset if you tried to use it in a 4x4 race and lost, or tore it up in the process.

Jim works hard to view this site everyday and take requests and fulfill them. But he never said that every request would be accomplished, just that he would try to include the ones he thought would fit, and fulfill his dream.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #8
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I'm sure Leonardo never envisioned this. Jim has, and doesn't want it to happen to his work. I wouldn't either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mona1.jpg (74.2 KB, 310 views)
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 10:07 AM   #9
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:16 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

and please don't delete or lock this thread as you've done in the past - that only shows that you're scared, threatened or otherwise not willing to hear my discussion on the topic which IS the ENTIRE REASON this forum exists in the first place!
It has nothing to do with being scared or threatened.

It has to do with Jim's wishes.

You can talk about running the Aquarium as a wallpaper anywhere you want except here.

If you want to start a war, we'll just shut down the forum to only registered members. The rules, as few and as relaxed as they are, will be followed, otherwise the forum will turn into a free-for-all like most other forums have become.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 04-29-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:50 PM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Whoa, people! Let's not start any kinds of war, OK? (There sure are too much of those out there as it is.)

What do you mean you "don't agree"? I asked you a question (two actually), would you care to answer?

I agree that Mona Lisa comparison is pretty sucky and I'd like to never see it again.

About the "belongs to me"-part. That's just forcing an EULA (End User Licence Agreement) of some form to accompany the Aquarium since Jim (evidently) isn't too fond of the (your) idea. Just beacause some other programmers thought it was OK doesn't make it mandatory.

What's with the Admin thing? Isn't everybody on a first name/handle/whatever basis here?

/Calle

Last edited by Tiny Turtle; 04-29-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:06 PM   #13
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Just some guy,

Look, we are not trying to be rude to you in the least. But, you are expecting someone, ( Jim ) to spend his valuable time trying to figure out how to do something that you want done, that he never stated would be done in the first place. The bottom line is that Jim is the one who is doing all the work here, and since it is his creation he gets to set the paramaters that the licensed version will contain. In this instance he doesn't agree with your assesment, and chooses not to offer that option in the official version.

As an Administrator here, it is my duty to follow the wishes of Jim, and Morgan, and to support and help anything that I can in the official capacity of the screen saver. I have stated this on numerous occassions, I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE TO DATE ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR. IT IS NOT, NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN DONE BY ME, MORGAN, OR JIM.

Now, since you have purchased this, if you wish to try and figure out a way to accomplish what you want on your time, with your version, that is your right. But it is unfair to expect everyone here to devote time to something that you want done with your version, when it isn't something that was ever stated was going to be an option in the first place.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #14
Swede
Registered

just some guy wrote
I am CONVINCED that there is a way that Jim or the admin of this board can find a way for me to use the tank like I WANT TO!

I want the tank as my "wallpaper"!!!
/--/
Why can't the customer be right?
Hm... Yes, anyone who want's to use Sachs screensaver as a windows background, they should be free to do so... BUT, coming here demanding Jim or anyone else to develop or implement the function is a totally different thing. Jim doesn't like icons on his aquarium, so at the moment I doubt it's even on his "to do" list. Respect that!

Try a smother approach next time just some guy. If you can't program, find someone who can and treat him well. Maybe it can be done, maybe not. In this forum you can request or politely ask for changes to be made but you can't demand changes to be made. And don't get angry if no one here makes it their main task in life to comply to your wishes.

If it was something wrong with the program, you could demand something to be done, but in this case the program does just what it was supposed to do, and that is (among other things!) to not work as a background to icons...
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 04-29-2002 at 02:22 PM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:30 PM   #15
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:00 PM   #16
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Unhappy

just some guy said:
and please don't delete or lock this thread as you've done in the past - that only shows that you're scared, threatened or otherwise not willing to hear my discussion on the topic which IS the ENTIRE REASON this forum exists in the first place!

Sure, you could ban me from the board, I guess, but we all know there are ways around that one...
You've just expressed that you will make attempts, if you feel it necessary, to get around a forum ban. That's threatening to break a rule, and it would force me to put the forum on 'approval-only'. Which is a shame because the last time I had to do this, the amount of discussion was cut by 1/3rd.

Tiny Turtle said:
I agree that Mona Lisa comparrison is pretty sucky and I'd like to never see it again.
Jim originally made the comparison between the Aquarium and the Mona Lisa. So you'll have to take it up with him if you disagree.

just some guy said:
Let's not discuss whether or not we can discuss it anymore. That point is mute. Let's discuss why the application should or should not be considered and leave the "corrupting Jim's creation" argument out of it. That is also a mute point.
Actually, the point is NOT moot. Do you really think that little of myself, Michael, Jim, and the others on this forum that you can simply ignore the rules and talk about whatever you want? I have to wonder what they're teaching in schools anymore.

Until the "corrupting Jim's creation" issue changes, this discussion ends here and now.

Jim's opinion on running the Aquarium as a wallpaper hasn't changed since you tried to get this thread going last time ( https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=598 ).

just some guy said:
I'm not making a big deal out of this - my request is simple.
It's the other garbage thats clouding what should be a very easy thing to accomplish that you can't seem to look through. ...cannot see the forrest for the trees comes to mind.
So now forum rules/guidelines and the wishes of Jim are garbage?

We've had at least 3 other threads about this topic with a dozen or so people asking how to run the Aquarium as a wallpaper. Jim's FINAL statement on the issue can be found here on page 2: https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=540

just some guy said:
CAN it be done? (I believe it can) If so, how? It's simple.
Of course it can be done. At least one person has written a loader that makes it work pretty well.

How? Ask on another forum, or start your own. Or try to contact the people who have successfully done it (that's what that Search button at the top is for).

Jav400 said:
Look, we are not trying to be rude to you in the least. But, you are expecting someone, ( Jim ) to spend his valuable time trying to figure out how to do something that you want done, that he never stated would be done in the first place. The bottom line is that Jim is the one who is doing all the work here, and since it is his creation he gets to set the paramaters that the licensed version will contain. In this instance he doesn't agree with your assesment, and chooses not to offer that option in the official version.
Actually, Jim has gone a step further by saying that he does not want to see the Aquarium run as a wallpaper, whether it's a feature added by him or by someone else.

Jav400 said:
I have stated this on numerous occassions, I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE TO DATE ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR. IT IS NOT, NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN DONE BY ME, MORGAN, OR JIM.
Actually, a couple of people have successfully run the Aquarium as a wallpaper, which is what brought up a huge explosion/flamewar last time. Jim came forward and made it clear that because people will run the Aquarium with icons and other crap on top, he does not want the Aquarium run this way or any solutions on how to do it listed HERE. This is official policy. Now, whatever you discuss on some other venue is your business.

just some guy said:
The unaccptable answers were coming from the people that think the IDEA is bad, wrong, and has no merit because it's is their OPINION.
That's not what was said. The fact is, the idea, right or wrong, may not be discussed here. It's policy, not opinion.

This, to me, is very strange - wanting to use a product MORE, in a slightly different way, and having the creator frown on the idea.
Jim has taken a stand. It is certainly very *interesting* to watch, as we have had several people over the last year say that Jim's approach to the Aquarium and other screen savers, aka a very closed system, will be his downfall. So far he's doing pretty well, financially! I guess time will tell. He's made his decision and he seems to be sticking to it. If Jim ever changes his mind about the Aquarium being a closed system, I've got two dozen fish I want to add.

just some guy said:
Why can't the customer be right?
The customer is not always right. If you feel strongly enough about this, you can get a refund here: http://www.SereneScreen.com/

I hate when threads like this explode, because it drags down the forum. I know what people want. And I know what Jim wants. Usually they coincide, but there's always that exception...

Does it seem like we are running this forum in a heavy-handed fashion? Possibly. But I've been told that it's a pleasant place that people like to come visit. I've seen some loosely moderated forums that are fun for about 5 minutes. Then you realize when anything goes, it's not an enjoyable place. As unofficial as I might call this site, we are pretty official. SereneScreen tech support refers a LOT of people to my Help page and this Forum. And we are directly linked from the front page of SereneScreen. So I have a responsibility, whether a few disgruntled users like it or not.

The #1 feedback I get from this forum is that people really like that the artist/programmer participates directly and answers questions individually. I am not willing to let things go if we'd lose Jim as an active participant!

If you have a comment about this topic, read this entire thread first:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=540

Then think about what you're writing.

Last edited by feldon34; 04-29-2002 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:42 PM   #17
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Jim originally made the comparison between the Aquarium and the Mona Lisa. So you'll have to take it up with him if you disagree.
Why would it be to desecrate Mona Lisa by using it as a desktop wallpaper? Jim's original point was – if I remember correctly – that people shouldn't expect that it's OK to alter someone elses work. But comparing this program to that painting as has been done a couple of times since is pretty weird. I can agree with Patscarr that de Vinci probably never envisioned the wallpaper situation, but I can't vouch for that he would dissaprove (sp?). Mr. Sachs on the other hand has clearly expressed his opinion and perhaps we can leave it at that. (Please?)

You've just expressed that you will make attempts, if you feel it necessary, to get around a forum ban. That's threatening to break a rule, and it would force me to put the forum on 'approval-only'.
Oh, please. Stop rattling your guns, will you?

/Calle
Old 04-29-2002, 03:45 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

By the way, Michael (Jav400) went back through the logs and found that Darrell had not completed the wallpaper/active-desktop loader before Jim asked him to stop. It had some bugs in it, so it cannot be considered a full solution.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:50 PM   #19
BeefJerky
Registered

Well, I decided to post my opinion, which of course my opinion and only mine. As far as Jim's position on the wallpaper issue, it's of course 100% in his right not to make it officially available and I support that. Now as for trying to stop others from doing it on their own, along with some discussion, I have to disagree with that. Really, it's a lot like over-sheltering a kid, and doesn't help things. They'll still find a way if they want it, and will spread the word somehow. I understand how Jim feels like it's his "baby", but as with a real kid, you gotta let go a bit here and there. I wouldn't consider this something horrible (more akin to your child making friends with a new kid). Now, of course you do have to draw the line somewhere, (ie disassembling and editing your program), but I'd consider this far from that line. Again, this is just my opinion, and mine only. Over and out.
--BeefJerky
BeefJerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:45 AM   #20
nicksteel
Registered

May I suggest a poll to determine how many forum members would like to see this tread dropped? Question was asked and answered. The screensaver is unique and was created within specific design parameters. If it doesn't fulfill one's desires, use something else. I am quite pleased with it as it is.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive