Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
ant
Fishy

Question Beta 9k (2/25/2009)'s screen saver logo settings crash a lot!

Is anyone else having problems with beta 9K's logo settings (configuring) crashing the screen saver? I am using updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 with the latest critical updates, latest ATI Catalyst v9.2 driver, etc. Easy to reproduce is to change the time, and boom a crash. I attached a screen shot of the crash.
Attached Images
File Type: gif screenshot.gif (127.4 KB, 32 views)
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by ant:
Is anyone else having problems with beta 9K's logo settings (configuring) crashing the screen saver? I am using updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 with the latest critical updates, latest ATI Catalyst v9.2 driver, etc. Easy to reproduce is to change the time, and boom a crash. I attached a screen shot of the crash.  
8K doesn't crash when I "change the time" in settings, on my WXP Pro SP3 system. Catalyst 9.2

Having said that, there are lots of ways to have MA3 loaded on your system, and several ways of starting it and/or getting to settings. So, where is your MarineAquarium3.scr file that you're using, and is it "installed", and did you previously use the Installer version?

And then, exact step by step description of what you do to make it crash.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
ant
Fishy

Originally posted by Dale:
8K doesn't crash when I "change the time" in settings, on my WXP Pro SP3 system. Catalyst 9.2

Having said that, there are lots of ways to have MA3 loaded on your system, and several ways of starting it and/or getting to settings. So, where is your MarineAquarium3.scr file that you're using, and is it "installed", and did you previously use the Installer version?

And then, exact step by step description of what you do to make it crash.  
I installed MA3 screen saver with the downloadable zip file and extracted its .scr file into c:\windows\system32\ directory/folder. I don't recall having this problem in an older version from over a month ago (don't remember what version it was).

I used display properties to configure the screen saver. I just pick clock and mess around. Easy to reproduce is clicking on the time to change default 10 seconds to something else.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by ant:
I installed MA3 screen saver with the downloadable zip file and extracted its .scr file into c:\windows\system32\ directory/folder. I don't recall having this problem in an older version from over a month ago (don't remember what version it was).

I used display properties to configure the screen saver. I just pick clock and mess around. Easy to reproduce is clicking on the time to change default 10 seconds to something else.  
I changed both analog and digital clock times from 10 seconds to 8 seconds and then to 12 seconds, and nothing crashed.

Of course, that doesn't help fix your crashes.

Note: there are about 5 meanings for "installed". I suggest you try using the "Installer Version" from SereneScreen, and then after that putting the Beta in system32.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
ant
Fishy

Question

I changed both analog and digital clock times from 10 seconds to 8 seconds and then to 12 seconds, and nothing crashed.

Of course, that doesn't help fix your crashes.

Note: there are about 5 meanings for "installed". I suggest you try using the "Installer Version" from SereneScreen, and then after that putting the Beta in system32.  
I will try that later.

Try this as shown in my second screen shot. Click on the number (thought I could type a number in) and see if it crashes.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tryhere.gif (68.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Well, I can crash it as well.. although this is only a bug... if Jim expects people to change the settings from the settings dialog box in Windows..

Copy the latest MA3Beta.scr to Windows\System32 (No installation routine)
Right click on desktop select properties
From Display Properties select Screen Saver
From Drop Down select SereneScreen Marine Aquarium
Select settings select Clock & Logo
Click on the time displayed for any of the selected logos (or Clock)
Error message MarineAquarium3 Beta9 has encountered a problem and needs to close xxxx More information gives this.. with an option for a few pages more
AppName: ma3beta.scr AppVer: 0.0.0.3 ModName: ma3beta.scr
ModVer: 0.0.0.3 Offset: 0000ee1f

Edit.. if one selects Preview instead of Settings.. then one can make changes the normal way while the SS is running in the preview mode
Ralph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
ant
Fishy

Originally posted by Ralph:
Well, I can crash it as well.. although this is only a bug... if Jim expects people to change the settings from the settings dialog box in Windows..

Error message MarineAquarium3 Beta9 has encountered a problem and needs to close xxxx More information gives this.. with an option for a few pages more

Edit.. if one selects Preview instead of Settings.. then one can make changes the normal way while the SS is running in the preview mode  
Thanks for reproducing my issue.

Also, user should be allowed to input numbers instead of using the arrow buttons. What if they want to enter 60 seconds? That's 50 clicks or so.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Dale
Banned

Oops - posted in error. I went through reading the postings ONE MORE TIME, and confirmed the problem.

It turns out I can't read clear instructions. :-)
Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
ant
Fishy

ant, I followed your instruction and it didn't crash.

Ralph, thanks for supplying complete step-by-step instructions.

I followed those instructions precisely and did not experience a crash. Now, having said that, please note the following probable difference between our systems:

I have used the SereneScreen Installer version (available at): https://prolific.s3.amazonaws.com/Ma...eAquarium3.exe This actually "installs" MA3, and sets up the correct environment.

So, I'm not able to reproduce why you are getting the crashes, without uninstalling a bunch of stuff, etc. Perhaps Jim can figure out why you are getting the crashes.

There are two other differences of note:

1. The "Installed Version" names the file in \system32 "MarineAquarium3.scr" - so I normally rename the MA3Beta.scr file to that name before placing it in \system32. [I did not rename it for the test you specified, of course]

2. In the Screen Saver dropdown, the MA3Beta.scr version is as you say shown as "SereneScreen Marine Aquarium Beta". The installed version (even when the file is replaced as above) is shown as "MarineAquarium3". (As you specified, I selected "SereneScreen Marine Aquarium Beta").

In some way, the crash that you folks are seeing is (probably) related to the fact that you have not yet used the "installer" version. It's also obviously a "bug", because what you are doing (copy MA3Beta.scr to \system32) is supposed to be one of the "right" ways to test.  

Yeah, I never used the installer for MA3. I did use MA2's installer a few years ago though. Is https://prolific.s3.amazonaws.com/Ma...eAquarium3.exe 9k beta?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Ralph:

Ralph, thanks for supplying complete step-by-step instructions. ant, your illustration allows me to duplicate this. Both of those postings clarified what "click on time" meant.

It looks like clicking almost anywhere at the bottom of the Clocks and Logo selection screen (anywhere around where it says "Show this logo for ... n seconds") causes the crash.

It's not dependent on whether the installer version has been run, or the name of the .scr file, etc.

Probably akin to the previously-squashed bug.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
Dale
Banned

No, the SereneScreen installer version is not Beta9k - you'll need to do the installer (once only, I hope), and then repeat copying (and I recommend renaming) the MA3Beta.scr to \system32.

The information that I posted (quoted by Ralph) is a correct description of the file names, etc, that the installer uses. It just wasn't germane to the bug.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Quick Death
Registered

crashed for me as well in the same area.
Quick Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Dale
Banned

Not surprisingly, confirmed bug on Vista-32.

In a brief test on Vista-32, I believe the crash also occurs in preview mode (but that is not the case with WXP).

Also, and not surprisingly - the same crash happens if you click in the blank space at the bottom of the "Music Settings" dialog box.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I'm on it. It's obviously related to that last bug - caused by accessing the Settings without actually starting the program.

edit: Try version 9L: http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip

Note that using the Settings screens without actually running MA3 is not really recommended. It may not be able to find the same playlists you have created, and some features won't work (music Play, for example).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-28-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
ant
Fishy

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
OK, I'm on it. It's obviously related to that last bug - caused by accessing the Settings without actually starting the program.

edit: Try version 9L: http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip

Note that using the Settings screens without actually running MA3 is not really recommended. It may not be able to find the same playlists you have created, and some features won't work (music Play, for example).  
Thanks. I just tried it. Much better. HOWEVER, I removed two clocks and it crashed again! I tried to reproduce it, but it didn't work. So I think the bug is still there somewhere but minor. I cannot seem to find the new pattern.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

Please let me know if you find a way of reproducing the bug.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
ant
Fishy

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Please let me know if you find a way of reproducing the bug.  
Will do. If anyone else can reproduce it, then please kindly let us know!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

I just found another place where the logo count wasn't getting set properly when using the Settings without running the program. The fix is in Beta9M:

http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip

Just as a caution - if you ever notice that a listbox is showing, but none of the items is highlighted, don't click on anything which will modify the highlighted item. It WILL cause a crash if nothing is highlighted. Just make a note of how you got there, and exit the box.

(And please don't repeat all this back to me if you want to make a comment.)
Jim Sachs
Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just FYI, most programs by default have all the options/checkboxes/settings GREYED OUT until the user highlights a listbox item. I don't know if that would make your life easier than having all kinds of checks and trying to make sure an item gets highlighted.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

Greying-out. Great, more programming.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows