Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #21
Hotkey
Registered

I have same issue with new Dell Win 11 laptop. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU. I hate to not be able to use this terrific screen saver!
Hotkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:31 AM   #22
Hotkey
Registered

Any updates on fix?
Old 05-25-2023, 07:05 AM   #23
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Hotkey:
Any updates on fix?  
Unlikely, with software as old as this... it's a credit to Jim's programming that it works at all on the latest versions of operating systems and computers

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:08 AM   #24
Hotkey
Registered

Sad....its a great product....
Old 05-29-2023, 04:52 PM   #25
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Hotkey:
I have same issue with new Dell Win 11 laptop. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU. I hate to not be able to use this terrific screen saver!  
Can you use another program like a Screen Saver randomizer to trigger the Aquarium?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #26
aprilr41

Fish Trail Bug

Originally posted by feldon34:
Can you use another program like a Screen Saver randomizer to trigger the Aquarium?  
Hi, I'm here with the same problem, fish trails on the background, running Windows 10 with AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. I'm currently looking for a screen saver randomizer, but just out of curiosity I installed marine aquarium 2.6 +time, and it works perfectly. Downside is no pan, no cave with eel, not nearly as pretty or as many fish, but hey, it's way better than the nothing I had before.
aprilr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:35 AM   #27
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by aprilr41:
Hi, I'm here with the same problem, fish trails on the background, running Windows 10 with AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. I'm currently looking for a screen saver randomizer, but just out of curiosity I installed marine aquarium 2.6 +time, and it works perfectly. Downside is no pan, no cave with eel, not nearly as pretty or as many fish, but hey, it's way better than the nothing I had before.  
Marine Aquarium 2.6 was based on a codebase Prolific wrote.

Marine Aquarium 3.0 was a complete rewrite by Jim. Awesome program but the way it initializes the graphics card in screensaver mode causes these background trails issue on certain cards with certain drivers.

I don't know the best screen saver randomizer program that isn't full of malware. If someone finds one please post it!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

v2.6 was written entirely by me. I also wrote v3, but Prolific helped with a few of the Windows-interface calls (like the one in question).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:44 AM   #29
Vinz Clortho
Servant of Zool

There *is* a kind of workaround for this, but it's not going to be for everyone.

You'll need to purchase the android version of MA3 and then run it on your PC in an android emulator. I find Nox Player is the easiest to use. The drawbacks are 1) You have to purchase MA3 for android if you don't own it already 2) You can't change the background colours 3) Running the aquarium as a screensaver is possible but not practical.

You could always run the aquarium on an Android box or sideload it on a firestick if you just want to see it on a screen that's not your PC monitor.
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #30
hclarkjr
Registered

jim, would you consider fixing these trails for us radeon users? i would be willing to give you a donation to do so. i am sure some others would be willing to help too.
hclarkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's in the Radeon drivers. I wouldn't have any idea how to fix it on my end.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-25-2023, 11:37 AM   #32
F34R
Registered

Yeah, the trails don't show up in the wireframe mode. Also they only appear behind the scene layer, i.e. clock, shells, coral, etc. If you go from regular to wireframe, it disappears, but will continue after you leave wireframe mode.
This is on the Asus ROG Ally.

It works 100% on all my other systems since 2005 lol. Even my newest Lenovo laptop runs it perfectly.
F34R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:24 AM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Radeon drivers are simply not refreshing the frame buffer. All my code can do is ask, it's up to them to grant the request.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-27-2023, 01:34 AM   #34
F34R
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The Radeon drivers are simply not refreshing the frame buffer. All my code can do is ask, it's up to them to grant the request.  
Yeah I saw your other reply about that, after I had already posted the picture lol. I do appreciate it though.

Still love checking in here every now and again. Always having the hope of a new release. A kickstarter campaign. Who knows, right?
F34R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:02 PM   #35
hclarkjr
Registered

happy to report that i just bought a new computer with a radeon 7800xt and it runs without fish trails!!
Old 11-04-2023, 11:42 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

Glad to hear it!
Jim Sachs
Old 11-05-2023, 12:32 AM   #37
hclarkjr
Registered

sadly it only lasted 1 day then went back to trails
Old 11-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #38
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by hclarkjr:
sadly it only lasted 1 day then went back to trails  
It's the automatic drivers installed by Microsoft. Windows 10 and 11 automatically install the WHQL Microsoft approved drivers when let to sit for a few hours. Those drivers seem to have particular problems. I always suggest going to the official drivers from AMD or nVidia.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:41 PM   #39
Bardobaby
Registered

I have a surface pro 9, Windows 11 and the Iris Xe gpu, and I get the trails too. So this isn't limited to any particular installed graphics card. Its seems its either something to do with Windows 11, or, if your computer natively has Iris XE built in (someone else mentioned the Iris XE in this thread I believe.)
Bardobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #40
hclarkjr
Registered

i got the fish trails to go away again, there is setting in the newer drivers called HYPR-RX and once i enabled it they went away. running fine now
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows