Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 07-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #21
johnblommers
The Architect

Use the Force

Originally posted by Polcamilla:
Typically the fish run 4-6 days before dying. How do I check for the number of threads they've generated? Also, how do I get 1.0.2, to see if that fixes the problem?  
You can display the number of threads in the Activity Monitor program located in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. To home in on the Goldfish Aquarium application just type a few characters of the application name into the filter.

The actual v 1.0.2 application can be downloaded from the force^H^H^H^H source here

- John
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #22
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

GA 1.0.2 is the current download from the LifeGlobe site.
You can use the activity monitor to look for the number of threads.
The threads would be zombied when the Screen Saver panel would spawn new aquariums for the preview and the "test" mode and each one would create 2 threads which would then not be terminated.
Polcamilla, the test to see if this is the problem is pretty easy -- turn off the "use multiple CPUs" preference. Then we don't thread at all.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #23
Polcamilla
Registered

You must groan every time you see a new post from me.

Alright, I turned off the 'use multiple CPUs' option and let it run again for a while. The fish again died and I carefully examined the Activity Monitor and didn't see an abnormal number of threads (and *none* for GA specifically, but that could be a function of how it runs as a screensaver).

I let them stay dead for a while and noticed a couple interesting things:

1) When the actual screensaver came on, *those* fish behaved just fine.
2) The "dead" fish in my wallpaper did bob about a bit (as I mentioned before) and would occasionally flicker and change from having the mouth completely closed to completely open. This makes me wonder if they're not dead, but somehow running extremely slow (and halted) relative to everything else. Shimmers still run across the plants, rocks, etc. at a normal rate while the fish are dead. It really just affects the fish themselves and the plants.

By the way, I keep giving updates simply because I find it interesting. Occasional dead fish resulting from using GA in an unapproved way aren't a big problem to me. I'm amazed at how responsive you guys have been, but if it's a choice between getting GA 2.0 for Mac out or banging your heads against your desks over my dead fish, I'd rather you spend the time on GA 2.
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The screen saver is probably running in a completely separate process from the desktop, so it would get a fresh and clean environment.

Well, I sorta have an idea now for another possible cause, but I don't think I'll try to explain it.

Thanks for the update.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X