Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
mikeneal
Registered

Marine Aquarium (trial version) crashes PC when WIN-TV is activiated

If Marine Aquarium (trial version) is active AND WIN-TV launches to record a program, the entire PC crashes and WINXP-PRO reboots. My system info:

Processor: GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 2 2.4 GHz Stepping 4
Math Support: Present
BIOS: INTEL - 20020529 BIOS Date: 05/29/02 15:48:51 Ver: 08.00.00 BIOS Date: 05/29/
Bus Type: PCI, ISA, USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Memory: 511 MB (25% Utilized)
Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
Hard Disks: 111.79 GB, 111.76 GB, 111.79 GB, 76.33 GB
Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
Video: Processor: GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 2 2.4 GHz Stepping 4
Math Support: Present
BIOS: INTEL - 20020529 BIOS Date: 05/29/02 15:48:51 Ver: 08.00.00 BIOS Date: 05/29/
Bus Type: PCI, ISA, USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Memory: 511 MB (25% Utilized)
Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
Hard Disks: 111.79 GB, 111.76 GB, 111.79 GB, 76.33 GB
Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 Ver. 6.13

< Operating System >
Windows: 5.1 (Build 2600)
Net Clients:
Microsoft Terminal Services
Microsoft Windows Network
Web Client Network
WIN-TV-PVR - PCI II
mikeneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

WinTV is competing with the Aquarium for DirectX resources. Can WinTV be programmed to run a task before launching?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sounds like WinTV doesn't know what to do if the video card is already busy. If the Aquarium tries to launch and the resources are tied up, it simply exits with a message that it couldn't create the DirectDraw Surface. WinTV should handle it the same way.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:47 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

/me *hugs* his TiVo.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
mikeneal
Registered

Feldon:
Win-TV cannot be programmed to run a task before launching. I presume one would do this to kill the screensaver before the WIN-TV Launch, right?

Jim: It seems like it should be the other way around to me. If a screen saver is running, it should get out of the way of any activity, be it a mouse move or key stroke or of a scheduled task launching. I have several scheduled tasks that run (nightly tape backup for example). If any of them would compete for Direct X resources, as Feldon suggests, they would be gonners, as would the entire system!

I have tested this problem with several other screen savers included with WINXP-PRO and none of the others crash the system, but rather exit when WIN-TV launches for recording a program.
wannabe Marine Aquarium user
Old 03-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

I don't know how this would be done, But maybe Prolific does. Crashing seems like a rather severe reaction to the hardware being busy. It seems kind of like this: When I use the restroom on an airliner, I turn the little knob that displays an "Occupied" sign. I have no idea who looks at that sign while I'm in there, but I assume that they will wait, not jump out of the airplane.

Are you sure that the Aquarium is running as a screensaver when this happens, and not as an app (double-click)?
Jim Sachs
Old 03-02-2003, 04:38 PM   #7
mikeneal
Registered

Jim:
I have it running as the selected screen saver in windows XP. I did't even know it could be run as an .exe (app). Now, I am talking about the demo version here - I have not bought it yet as I am trying to sort out it's compatability issues.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:27 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

The demo version is the real version - all it needs is a Key Code to unlock it. This is the main reason we encourage people to download and try it before buying.

Ironically, in the early days of the program, most of the customers had just the opposite complaint -- that nearly everything would kick out the Aqaurium. These have abated since Prolific took over the code. There will soon be a 2.0 version which uses an entirely different code base, so maybe you'll have better luck with that one. In the meantime, I'll ask Prolific about it and report back with any news.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-03-2003, 09:58 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

More details on 2.0 to come... If you purchased the Aquarium between Sept. 2000 and Aug 2001 (before 1.0/1.1) it is, of course, a free upgrade.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #10
mikeneal
Registered

Feldon:
Regarding upgrade to 2.0 when it is available, am I given to understand that if I buy the current version, I will NOT be able to get the free upgrade to 2.0?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:35 AM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

mikeneal,

I hate to tell people to wait, unfortunately it is still being determined how this upgrade will go forward. Hopefully Reichart will reply to this topic.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive