Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-21-2001, 02:29 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

SERENESCREEN mention on TechTV

Hey folks,

I don't know how often they're repeating it, but I just caught a short piece on the SereneScreen Aquarium on TechTV (check your cable or satellite service).

There were some factual errors on the show, and unfortunately they didn't show the widescreen version on their 16:9 flat screen TV, but it was nice to see the Aquarium running on television and to hear lots of things said about it.

Some of the errors/omissions:

One of the guys said that a fast 3D card is required and that a GeForce is fine, but a TnT card won't do the trick. I am quite happy with the Aquarium on my TnT Riva 16mb, and it works even better on a TnT Riva 2.

He mentioned 7 fish. If he scrolled up he'd note there are 20 fish total, 7 on screen at once.

He once said that the program is $15. It is in fact $20 for the full version.

Also, it says SereneScreen in the notes at the bottom of the screen, but he mentioned Fish-Byte.com as the address to download it.

For anyone curious, they were demonstrating version .99Lb2 of the Aquarium and they showed wireframe mode, which will certainly sell a lot more copies.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 02:39 PM   #2

Cool!

Dang, someone beat me to telling them about it ! I like that show, 90% of it is useless information, but sometimes you catch something that makes you go, "Hmm I did not know that".

Well I bet this will make Jim happy, minus the shows info errors .
Old 08-21-2001, 08:04 PM   #3
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

Cool!

well you have hit the big time now!!
next it will Entertainment Tonight!!
congratulations!!! you guys deserve it!!

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

:rollin:

ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:59 PM   #4
asprague
Regal Angel

Re: SERENESCREEN mention on TechTV

And even with the much put-down ATI Rage 128, xpert 2000, 32MB, the SS will come in at 39 fps at 1024x768x16.
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:45 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

We had a lot of e-mail correspondence with the TechTV coordinator last week, so it's amazing how much they still got wrong. At least here was a slight bump in sales today due to the mention, unlike the TV interview I did with Jeff Levy on Adelphia.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 AM   #6

Geforce With Saver

I have a Asus Geforce3 Deluxe, and the aquarium looks great. I haven't tried it with my 3D glasses yet, but I am looking forward to it.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:03 AM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: Geforce With Saver

eef97,

3D glasses are absolutely awesome, I use them myself to look at the aquarium on occasion. The background isn't true 3D yet, but soon , and when that happens it will be even better.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 03:06 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Here's the link to the TechTV article:

www.techtv.com/products/s...28,00.html
Jim Sachs
Old 08-22-2001, 03:14 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

In light of their overall negative comments towards the Aquarium, I'm tempted to remove the link from the new site.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 03:37 PM   #10
nicksteel
Registered

I thought the TechTv article was positive in regards to the screensaver and feel that it will encourage potential users to try it out. I would try out any screensaver described in such complimentary terms. Given the noted free demo and $20 total price, who wouldn't?
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 12:03 AM   #11

tech TV

I think most of what they had to say was positive but when they gave the aquarium only 3 out of 5 stars and then gave Milk Drop 5 out of 5 I knew they were idiots. This is so obviously 5 stars and Tech TV needs to stop hiring mental defectives.
Sorry for being so negative but come on, really!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:22 AM   #12
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Re: tech TV

Uh Oh, I hear a stampede!

Jim, it sounds like you need to educate them about the 16 bit thing!

You would think that TechTV would realize that not everyone has a GeForce video card. Then again, all they see is the biggest newest hardware that is out.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 02:05 PM   #13
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

tech tv

I like how they bitch about the "lack" of 32 bit, T&L only goes up to 1600 x 1200, ext.. then at the end they say that it is to video card/CPU intensive what are this guys smoking?
Old 08-23-2001, 02:25 PM   #14
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Re: tech tv

Yeah, the video card matters most with the aquarium. The CPU matters very little.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 03:06 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

I sent them an e-mail (which they published just below the review) explaining that the banding was not due to 16-bit, but was probably due to the use of FSAA.

I was a little taken aback at the 3-out-of-5 stars thing, given the glowing text in the review. The Aquarium has never before failed to get the maximum number of stars, skulls, or whatever in any review I've ever seen before.
Jim Sachs
Old 08-26-2001, 03:24 PM   #16

I've been reading this forum for a while now and i really do think this is the most *AWESOME* screensaver, even at it's current semi-final stages. But something is bothering me.... on this thread someone mentioned 3-D Glasses? What is that about... where do i get that?

thanx.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:49 PM   #17
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Koreshfool,

3D shutter glasses are something that you can purchase to enhance the 3D effect of any program that is rendered in 3D. They are about like going to an IMAX theater and watching a movie in 3D. Depending on the type you deceide to purchase they can cost anywhere from about $40 - $200+.

For more information look here, this site will inform you about the choices and how they work. www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive