Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #1581
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Glad you saw it too Cliff, thought I might just be seeing things.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #1582
Jim Sachs
Developer

It won't be finished by any means, but it should be stable enough to start testing on a variety of computers. I need to make sure that some of my off-the-wall techniques are going to work, or if I need to go in a different direction.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #1583
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I can't wait.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #1584
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
"... within the next few days." ? - - Did that really say what I think it did? ...  
October comes early this year...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #1585
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yeah, but I think Jim counts days as being 96 hours long each.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #1586
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I plan to release it to the Beta testers at about 60%. That will happen very soon, within the next few days.  

Wow! Cool!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #1587
Highlander
Registered

Smile

If Jim needs a beta tester on a Vista x64 quadcore machine....I am the man
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #1588
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

Regarding the 80-20 rule, I plan to release it to the Beta testers at about 60%. That will happen very soon, within the next few days. Yesterday I added the feature that Beta testers love most - an expiration date

The price of MA3 will probably be the same as MA2 was before the price reduction - $20. Current owners will be able to upgrade for a small charge.  

Don't want to spoil the party before it begins but the price surprises me (you must think I'm mad). I would rather see investment & development and my take is that happens quicker when there's more incentive.
I guess you know the market for MA3 better than me, however I am not complaining!
Andrew Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #1589
Jim Sachs
Developer

Pricing is always tricky. Though I consider the Aquarium a simulation, people think of it as a screensaver. I had to resurrect the concept of paying for a screensaver, which was totally dead when I came out with the product. I picked $20 as a price because it seemed to me that it's something that most people could afford -- the price of dinner, or a movie for two. But it's high enough to be taken as a real purchase and not just a throw-away. People could consider it a real gift for birthdays, Mother's day, etc.

The price was just a shot-in-the dark, but quickly became standard for many other programs that copied my business model. Though it worked out extremely well for me, it didn't for anybody else. I was hoping that someone would try different price-points so I could use them as a test-case, but most either gave up or continue to limp along with the same plan.

A few months ago, I lowered the price for MA2.6 to $14.95. This was done so that people who recently bought the program wouldn't feel cheated if they get charged $5 to upgrade to MA3. When the price was lowered, the volume went up a proportionate amount so that revenue was virtually unaffected. But when you increase sales by lowering prices, you have a lot more customers to deal with and need to pay more people to deal with them.

I'm always open to suggestions, but it would be difficult for me to change a formula that is already known to be successful.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #1590
nytiger73
Registered

Hi Jim,

I think your price point works very well. I personally can't think of anything that you could change to make it work out better. As you said, it's proven to be very successful. You basically have it all. A gorgeous screensaver / simulation. Very reasonably priced upgrades (such as the forthcoming creature packs and the discount for upgrading to the latest version of the product).

In regards to the Freshwater Aquarium, I know that you have said that you might want to return to developing it after MA3 is released along with the creature packs. You have also stated that the Dream Aquarium is a wonderful product and that if you hadn't already put so much time into the Freshwater product that you would just turn the market over to him. Has there ever been any thought or discussion with Alan to perhaps integrate some of your artwork / backgrounds into his product? I would love to see what you have done with the Fresh Water Aquarium and would love to see some more backgrounds for Dream Aqaurium.

Just a thought, however I think logistically it might be impossible, because I would imagine you both use different programming and art methods which would make compatibility a big issue.

Can't wait to see the beta of MA3!

Keep up the great work.
nytiger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #1591
johnblommers
The Architect

Pricing is always tricky.....I picked $20 as a price because it seemed to me that it's something that most people could afford....I was hoping that someone would try different price-points so I could use them as a test-case......When the price was lowered, the volume went up a proportionate amount so that revenue was virtually unaffected. But when you increase sales by lowering prices, you have a lot more customers to deal with and need to pay more people to deal with them....  
You've described the Economics 101 (that is where I learned about it) ideal supply-demand model perfectly. So if revenues remain constant when the price is dropped then I'd recommend increasing the price to $25 since you will make more money.

Let me preface my next comment by noting that your behavior in the marketplace demonstrates one of the highest ethics I have seen. We need more such business people in the country.

But I did not feel cheated when Apple dropped the iphone price from $600 to $400, I did not feel cheated because I got no upgrade credit for Leopard, and I would not feel cheated if you charge $25 for MA3, because IMHO it is a new product, not an upgrade. Adding fish to a tank, that is an upgrade.
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #1592
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

Originally posted by johnblommers:
You've described the Economics 101 (that is where I learned about it) ideal supply-demand model perfectly. So if revenues remain constant when the price is dropped then I'd recommend increasing the price to $25 since you will make more money.

Let me preface my next comment by noting that your behavior in the marketplace demonstrates one of the highest ethics I have seen. We need more such business people in the country.

But I did not feel cheated when Apple dropped the iphone price from $600 to $400, I did not feel cheated because I got no upgrade credit for Leopard, and I would not feel cheated if you charge $25 for MA3, because IMHO it is a new product, not an upgrade. Adding fish to a tank, that is an upgrade.  
Agreed $25.00... Still a snip.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #1593
Enigma
Registered

16 Highscores

I would gladly pay $25.00 as well. I will be buying several copies for friends & family as soon as MA3 launches.

My customers are still highly impressed with the current version. We sold quite a few retail boxed copies back in the day at $19.95 and are still sending folks to the website to purchase it as a download. I can't see my customers getting in a snit over an extra $5.00 for the new version.
?
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #1594
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

I appreciate I'm getting off the subject here- not exactly my SereneScreen Aq WISHLIST, but come to think of it wouldn't it be nice if every time you purchased a new upgrade to your laptop you got a 50% + discount from your current manufacturer, or software supplier for that matter (microsoft & apple please note).
New product, new purchase.
I am all for rewarding loyal customers but the reward should be comensurate with the risk of losing that custom if you don't. From my perspective
1/ I have had the enjoyment of the product I bought for the last 12mths.
2/ Nothing else that I see that might persuade me to buy elsewhere.
Jim, I think you should re-visit your pricing- your are more than generous.

...and before anybody suggests that I am on the SereneScreen payroll can I just clarify for the record that I am not.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #1595
Jim Sachs
Developer

Whenever I come out with an update, several things happen:

It creates a lot of buzz, which spurs a large number of new sales.

Existing customers can updgrade for a small fee, which makes them happy and adds to the positive word-of-mouth (which is our only advertising).

A lot of existing customers have lost their Key Codes, switched computers, or forgot they even had the Aquarium, and simply buy a new copy.

Each new update disables all the illegal Key Codes that have cropped up since the last update. Eventually, even hackers will catch on to the fact that by creating or searching for a new code for each update, they are working for far less than minimum wage. Much more efficient to just buy the thing, and spend their time in other nefarious pursuits.

So, thanks for your concern, Andrew, but you needn't worry. Marine Aquarium will be just fine.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #1596
cohiba420
Registered

Thumbs Down cant wait!

Yay for progress!!! I'm doing the happy dance!
cohiba420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #1597
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #1598
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

Whenever I come out with an update, several things happen:

It creates a lot of buzz, which spurs a large number of new sales.

Existing customers can updgrade for a small fee, which makes them happy and adds to the positive word-of-mouth (which is our only advertising).

A lot of existing customers have lost their Key Codes, switched computers, or forgot they even had the Aquarium, and simply buy a new copy.

Each new update disables all the illegal Key Codes that have cropped up since the last update. Eventually, even hackers will catch on to the fact that by creating or searching for a new code for each update, they are working for far less than minimum wage. Much more efficient to just buy the thing, and spend their time in other nefarious pursuits.

So, thanks for your concern, Andrew, but you needn't worry. Marine Aquarium will be just fine.  
Enough said. I promise not to mention again.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #1599
raygan
Registered

Cool

hello everyone
i stop by and lurk here once in awhile and discussion in another forum made me stop by and check:
--I used the search button before I posted

Q: Is the company looking into Blu-Ray btw?
---reason: wife bought a 50" LCD flatscreen and a PS3...was wondering if the company has anything I can pop in the PS3/Blu-Ray so I can show SereneScreens awesome work

Q: finally bought the Dell UltraSharp 24" Widescreen---been saving for 3yrs will the new-soon-to-be-release (just adding pressure Jim ) j/k support widescreen?
raygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #1600
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Blu-Ray: Nothing public so far, though ther has been previous suggestions. The DVD version was a disaster, but that was greatly due to poor production. A BR-version could look really cool IMHO. Probably a pretty popular thing to pirate though.

MA3 will most definately support widescren. the tank is actually two widescreens wide and will pan slowly left to right (unless you rather want it stationary of course).
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows