Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 05-30-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
Unregistered

Soecial "startup file" doesn't work--file not found!!! Help!

I have MA 2.0.4 for my Blue/White G3, and am having some trouble. when I first install it, it asks if you want it to place a "special" file in your startup folder. I choose create, and it places one as stated. However, the next time I start up the computer, a message appears stating that the MA startup file cannot be used because the "original program cannot be found". I have neither changed nor moved the application from where it was when it created this "file".

I tried making an alias of the program icon itself and placing it in the startup folder, but this seems to be hit and miss. It worked once, but I can's seem to get it to work again (automatically, that is...)

Also, I cannot get the "hot corners" to work properly. No matter which corner I select with a "+" sign, it has no effect. In other words, I cannot get the screensaver to start by placing my mouse into the corners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I would love to actually use the software I have paid for.

-JR

p.s. I am running OS 9.2.2, with a 350 mhz machine. When I start the program myself, it works beautifully (not that it does me any good if I have to fire it up manually everytime!)
Old 05-30-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
Michael Babin
Mac Development

To address the start-up document problem, try rebuilding your desktop database (hold down Command-Option keys when restarting). The start-up document has a creator type that matches the creator type of the MA application (different creator types for MA 1.1, MA 2, and MA Time; different names for the start-up documents for each of these as well). The "original program could not be found" message indicates that the Finder can't find an application in the desktop database with a creator type that matches the document's. Launching the application directly does not involve the desktop database, so it works without problem.

As to the hot corners problem, make sure the hot point of the cursor (the very tip of the pointer, for instance) is in a 10x10 pixel square at the corner of the display and leave it there for at least 10 seconds. The delay is to prevent a momentary pause in regular cursor movement (if it happens in a hot corner) from activating the screen saver.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
Unregistered

Michael,

You're a GOD!!! Thanks for the advice. I've been a Mac user long enough that you'd think I'd try the rebuilding of the desktop. It seems like 99.9% of all Mac problems can be fixed with that little gem of advice.

Looks like all is well now. Including the hot corner thing.

Thanks a million--love the software!!!!!

-JR
Old 05-31-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Glad to hear that cleared up the problems you were experiencing. If you have any further problems, questions, or suggestions, please let us know here or via the feedback page on our web site.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive