Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 04-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
Mediaman_12
Registered

Big Grin Marine Aquarium 2.0 + 10.2.5 = Kernal Panic

I am surprised that this hasn't been posted yet?
Yesterday there was a OSX update from Apple.
I noticed that the screensaver had swapped from Marine Aquarium to Flurry (the default), so I went to the Control Panel to switch it back. I clicked Marine Aquarium in the list and, bang! I see (for the first time) the OSX Kernal Panic screen (you must restart etc. in a variety of languages).
I restart and try again to make sure it's not a fluke, same again.
Is this a (new) bug, has anyone else had this (since the 10.2.5 update), or is it just me?

Spec: OSX 10.2.5, Twin 1GHz G4, 512Mb RAM.
Mediaman_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:58 AM   #2
mrtew
Registered

I think it's just you. My screensaver and program are fine after the 10.2.5 update. I'd remove any preferences that say prolific or marine or aquarium from your ~/Library/Preferences folder and try again. Bad prefs are the new bane of OSX I think... almost every problem can be solved by chucking preferences.... although a kernal panic is a pretty sever one to be caused by that.
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
msanta

Unhappy Kernel Panic

I get the same kernel panic after I wake up the screen saver or the computer is sleeping. This happens with Mac OS 10.2.6. I have 1.5GB of RAM with a Nvidia T4 128MB VRAM. Screen resolution of 1056x792 and millions of colors. This happens when the screen saver has been on for more than an hour or the computer is sleeping. I would love to use the Time MA but it's not working for me, what's odd if that MA version 2.0.4 doesn't give kernel panics.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:48 AM   #4
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about the kernel panics you have been experiencing.

In theory, it should be impossible for any application (or application plug-in, which is essentially what a Mac OS X screen saver module is) to cause a kernel panic, no matter how badly behaved the application (or plug-in). The worst problem that you should encounter is an "Application unexpectedly quit" problem. In practice, there are bugs in the OS and/or drivers that can cause kernel panics. These bugs tend to be intermittent, although they may be regularly reproducible on certain system configurations.

Please report the details to us (www.orderndev.com, via our feedback page) with as much detail on your configuration and the steps to reproduce as possible. I'd recommend also reporting the problem to Apple.

I take it from your report that this kernel panic is only triggered with MA Time, not MA 2, is this correct? Have you changed/updated the drivers for your video card or are you using the ones that came with your system?
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
msanta

Exclamation

Aren't the drivers for the Nvidia cards integrated with the Operating System? If I am running 10.2.6, should I be running the latest driverr for the Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti?
Old 05-30-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
tilapia
Registered

Question Latest Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti drivers with Mac 10.2.6

Card Type : NVDA,GeForce4Ti |
| Card Name : NVDA,Parent |
| Card Model : GeForce4 Ti 4600 |
| Vendor ID : 10de |
| Device ID : 250 |
| ROM# : 1105 |
| Revision : a3

This is what I have...Is this the latest driver?
tilapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
Michael Babin
Mac Development

You may or may not have the latest driver installed. If the card you are using came with your machine (from Apple) and you are using the driver provided by the latest system update, 10.2.6 (haven't installed a different driver), then you should be fine (as in, you have the latest driver available and recommended for your system, not that such a driver is guaranteed to be bug-free). The reason I brought this up was we just had a report of a problem (performance, not kernel panics) from a user with an ATI card who had updated his drivers using something released by ATI. When he went back and re-installed 10.2.6, the performance problem went away.

Apple has an article in their AppleCare Knowledge Base about NVidia GeForce 4 (MX or Ti) cards attached to an LCD display and problems when waking the computer from sleep (<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25434>). Doesn't mention kernel panics, but it's worth checking out.

One other general troubleshooting tip: try disconnecting all unneeded external devices (e.g., USB hub, external hard drive, Firewire devices, etc) and see if the problem still occurs.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:07 PM   #8
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Here's a link to a good article in the discussion forums on Apple's support site covering good steps to help track down and eliminate kernel panics.

<http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...d3.8@.3bbb4a38>
Old 05-30-2003, 10:10 PM   #9
tilapia
Registered

Embarassed

Thanks for the information provided, I'll definitely will try disconnecting my USB and Firewire devices as well as a SCSI device, maybe I have too many connected...Thanks
tilapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Apple has admitted to creating a lot of kernel panics with errors in the USB code. 10.2.5 was not a high point in Apple's history.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive