Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 03-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
FishTacoAfficionado

Thousands of colors

Why does the readme file say to reduce display settings to "thousands of colors" before installing marine aquarium 2.0 when it runs great on millions of colors? That just hampers my mac's graphical capabilities just for the sake of a screen saver. Apps like photoshop and stuff need millions of colors do they not?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The readme has you change to thousands first just to be careful. Like telling you to turn off security software. It is to reduce the number of things that can go wrong. Each step isn't necessarily important for a given computer.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
iGreg
Registered

Ah, so what you are saying is that we should use Thousands only in relation to the installation? After the installation, it is ok to switch back to Millions of colors, and leave it there (presuming it works ok in millions). I see.

P.S. I had the same question as FishTaco, but this thread seems to have answered my question.
iGreg
iMac G3 500 MHz, 384MB RAM.
iBookSE 466 MHz, 320MB RAM.
OS 10.2.6.
iGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Correct. There's no inherent problem in running with millions of colors, other than the increased demands on your video card. This increased demand may reduce the performance of MA, perhaps dramatically if the amount of video RAM needed by the system and MA exceeds the amount available on your video card. It's best when first installing and trying the application to set your display preferences to use thousands of colors so you can measure the best potential performance of the application (thus, the note in the readme).
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What are the odds of the Aquarium screen saver being able to change the bit depth/resolution of Mac OS before running?

The PC version's ability to do this has saved the sanity of many a Photoshop user.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:53 PM   #6
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Changing bit depth has been an issue with the Classic environment. I may investigate it again.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Detect the presence of Classic environment. Or ask everyone to dump Quark and go Adobe InDesign. I mean that's the only reason people are still using Classic right?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-15-2003, 12:32 AM   #8
Lainey
Registered

* Or ask everyone to dump Quark and go Adobe InDesign. I mean that's the only reason people are still using Classic right?*

Oh, too funny...

...but unfortunately, yes...Quark is the reason...
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #9
»¨Ύν

Angry I am just a Chinese little girl

I am a Chinese girl, my English is so poor that many things I cannot understand, but I really like this net ,and I have a luky chance to come here , and I don't know how to show this words so I choose reply , I really want to make many friends abroad ,and ,,that is all..
thank you!
Old 05-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ookay.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 PM   #11
Surfer

You can set your computer to thousands and easily change back and forth from thousands to millions by putting the monitors menu item in your menu bar. That way, you can leave your computer on thousands and then just switch over to millions when you want to use photoshop. Thousands is more than adequate for all other general computer and web use. You cannot see any difference. Also, you will get a higher frame rate at thousands, especially if you are using 1024x768 resolution and have a slower video card.

P.S. Quark is ready now!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

MA for Mac should change video modes automatically as the PC version does.

Now to wait for the bugs to shake out of Quark.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive