Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 06-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
Unregistered

Something interrupting MA, disabling screensaver...

I have a G3 B/W 350mhz running OS 9.2.2 Whenever I leave my office for a while, or come back in the morning, the screensaver is off. It is as if something is interrupting the screensaver, but I've yet to witness anything in person.

I did turn off any hard drive indexing that might be occuring, as well as turning off the filesaver functions from Norton Utilities, just to see if that was doing it, but it still is quitting (i.e. waking up from the screensaver) at some point and I am curious as to what is causing this.

The MA application is still running in the background and is visible in the finder menu, but I have to select it and manually open a new MA file and close the window before any of the hot key or automatic screensaver functions will work.

I would love for this thing to stay on indefinantely, as long as I don't wake it up myself.

Help?

-JR
Old 06-03-2003, 08:08 AM   #2
Michael Babin
Mac Development

So you have the screen saver functionality enabled, set the delay time for the screen saver to kick in (to what value, btw?), and have defined one or more hot corners, correct? And the screen saver starts up correctly after the proper amount of idle time has passed (or you put the cursor in a hot corner), correct? Then you see the screen saver start up, you leave the office for a lengthy period, and come back to find the screen saver not running, correct? Does this last part happen always, often, some times, or rarely? At this point, the screen saver will not start up after the appropriate idle time has passed or with the cursor in a hot corner unless you create a new aquarium window (Cmd-N) and close it, correct? If I've mischaracterized any part of your situation with the statements above, please correct me.

What version of MA are you using (MA 1.1, MA 2, MA Time)?

Steps to try:
1. Select the Mac OS 9.x All set of extensions in the Extensions Manager, reboot, and try to reproduce the problem in this environment.
2. When you come back to the machine and it is in that state where the screen saver won't start up, try just moving the mouse or hitting any key (instead of creating a new aquarium window and closing it). See if the screen saver will start up at that point (via idle time or hot corner).
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Unregistered

..."So you have the screen saver functionality enabled, set the delay time for the screen saver to kick in (to what value, btw?), and have defined one or more hot corners, correct? And the screen saver starts up correctly after the proper amount of idle time has passed (or you put the cursor in a hot corner), correct? Then you see the screen saver start up, you leave the office for a lengthy period, and come back to find the screen saver not running, correct? Does this last part happen always, often, some times, or rarely? At this point, the screen saver will not start up after the appropriate idle time has passed or with the cursor in a hot corner unless you create a new aquarium window (Cmd-N) and close it, correct? If I've mischaracterized any part of your situation with the statements above, please correct me."...

The above is correct as you describe it. There is no exception to this situation. Whenever left for a certain amount of time, the screen saver quits. Not sure what that amount of time is either, maybe as short as a couple of hours or less.

I am running MA 2.0.4--what I believe to be the latest version.

..."When you come back to the machine and it is in that state where the screen saver won't start up, try just moving the mouse or hitting any key (instead of creating a new aquarium window and closing it)"...

I have tried everything once I return to the machine and find the screensaver has quit. Even selecting it in the finder and bringing it to the "front". The only way I have found to reactivate it (without completely quiting the program and restarting it) is to go the the file menu and create a new window manually, and then close it. Once I have done that, MA functions normally, including the hot keys and screensaver, etc.

I will try the base set of extensions for 9.2.2 as you have recommended and let you know what happens...

-JR
Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 AM   #4
John Blades
Registered

My problem is exactly the same as J.R.'s. I was trying out the Demo and assumed registration would correct this problem. But no luck -- the MA screensaver still quits after an hour or so and I have to create a new one. Like JR, I tried turning off the Norton Filesaver, but that didn't help. I'm also running A-Dock, which disappears along with the screensaver, reappearing only after I create a new MA. I'm hesitant to change my extensions settings until I find out from J.R. (or someone else) if this actually works. It is annoying to have to reset the screensaver every few hours, especially after having registered. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

John Blades
JDBlades@attbi.com
John Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive