Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 06-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Surfer

What is the maximum amount of fish I could use with my system before degradation?

Here are my machine stats:

iMac 500mhz G3
640mb RAM
ATI Rage 128 Pro video card with 8mb video memory
1024x768 resolution at Thousands of colors.

It runs beautifully in TESTFISH mode with just three fish (either with or without the Z-buffer, it looks the same, GREAT, can't tell any difference).

I have not bought this product yet, was just wondering if I do, what is the maximum number of fish I could use? 4 or 5? Or only 3? before it degrades to less than how good it looks now using just three fish in the TEST mode.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

That card might be considered in the "barely acceptable" category. Visually, the look of the aquarium doesn't degrade with a weaker card - it just slows down. If you are getting 30 frames per second with 3 fish, you might get 20 fps with 7 fish. (I haven't researched these numbers for your card.) Many people consider 20 fps to be perfectly reasonable, but the Forum fans are accustomed to frame rates of 60 or higher, so this is a tough crowd to please.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
Surfer

Well you will be surprised! I get an average of 52fps with Z-buffer on and 59fps with Z buffer off (at 3 fish) on this system! :-)
Old 06-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
Surfer

(oops posted to soon)

So, the ATI Rage 128 Pro with 8mb is better than you expected. :-)

Surfer
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive