Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-12-2002, 05:55 AM   #1
ficone67
Registered

probs with win2k

hello everybody

can somebody explain me why the ss works on my pc only with win98se and winxp very fine? with win2k I have only 2 fps. I installed everywhere the last video-driver and directx8.1. but no way.

win2k still the same problem.

in additional I tried it on my laptop where win2k is installed and it worked fine till I installed palm software. then I get the same slow framerate as at home.

somebody can explain me how can I fix that?
greetz

ficone67@gmx.ch
ficone67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:29 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Simplest solution first: Are you sure you're running Windows with 16 bit color depth (aka "High Color"). A 32 (or 24) bit depth ("True Color") slows it down a lot.

If you're already running under 16 bit this most likely is a driver issue. Quite a few cards actually aren't too fond of the latest driver versions. What videocard are you using?

About the Palm thing, I haven't got a clue (if it isn't the same 16/32 thing as stated above) but hopefully someone else comes up with an answer.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What video chipset does the laptop have?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
ficone67
Registered

hello

the laptop has S3 Savage/ IX IBM. the prob is, that before I installed the palm software everything went fine. At home I have an Nvidia TNT2 32MB video card with all the last drivers, but only with win2k it doesn't work (win98se and winxp all ok). Also there is no palm software installed. Could it be that the last directx doesn't work good with special video cards??
It seems that's a specific problem on win2k.

Both video cards are running with 16bit and also the hardware acceleration is on the max.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:32 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

A short while ago we had a heated discussion on the board regarding drivers, TNT2's and nVidia's driver improvments. Could you try and install an older version, preferably (sp?)v6.47 for Win2k/XP which I believe Feldon uses for his TNT Riva card under Win2k.

The latest nVidia driver versions are more optimized for GeForce 3's and the likes of those. Give it a try and see what happens...

/Tiny

Did you guys know Invidia is latin for one of the seven deadly sins, namely envy...
Old 02-13-2002, 01:04 AM   #6
ficone67
Registered

hi Tiny

many thx for the tips. I`ll try it. But the main problem for me is still the one with laptop. I'm still trying to unterstand why at the beginning all went fine and then after the palm software installation--nada.
any ideas?
Old 02-13-2002, 02:03 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by ficone67
hi Tiny

many thx for the tips. I`ll try it. But the main problem for me is still the one with laptop. I'm still trying to unterstand why at the beginning all went fine and then after the palm software installation--nada.
any ideas?
Is it a USB palm? If it is, what IRQ are your USB controller and video on?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 04:16 AM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Soc's idea sounds goo to me, but if it isn't that. - Have you tried (temporarily) removing the Palm software to see if the system acts normal again. Also, are the problems limited to the aquarium or do other 3D applications cop out too?

/Tiny Tip
Old 02-13-2002, 04:22 AM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I run the Palm software on my computer at the office and it hasn't made any difference in running the aquarium. My sync with the hand held is through a USB port. The Palm software doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:28 AM   #10
ficone67
Registered

@tiny
I can not deinstall this software because the administrator did some adjustments to synchronise with lotus notes and I guess I can fix it by myself. Unfortunately I have no other 3D application installed.

@ Socrates

Yes, it's with USB connection. I checked the irq's but it's seems that the video card is integrated in motherboard...no irq

@Jav400
YOur palm runs with win2k?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:37 AM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

If you want to try a small 3D app there's a demo made in Deutchsland called The Product. It's only 68 kB (!) in size but pack quite a punch!

/Tiny Demo
Old 02-14-2002, 03:51 PM   #12
ficone67
Registered

hi Tiny

finally at home it works fine. it was really the driver. the direct3d device was not available.
now I have only to find an older driver version for the laptop.

many thx for your tip and all the people here who tried to help me too.

greetz

ficone67
Old 02-15-2002, 10:27 PM   #13
Shinsa
Registered

Thumbs Down

HOLY COW! What a demo packed into 65K! I would have thought it to be several MBs! How'd they do the sound?!?! I thought a first is was MIDI, but it doesn't play through my MIDI device on my sound card. It comes through as a WAVE.

Reminds me very much of the DEMOS I used to get from a team of Apple IIgs hackers, FTA, in France (Free Tools Association). BOY! They could make some AWESOME demos. This was back in the late 80's! Those guys did stuff with an APPLE II that could not be duplicated on any PC at the time. Even had Amiga users saying WOW!

The guys that made this ".Product" demo seem to be made of the same silicon as the FTA group in France!

TOO COOL! If you havn't seen it, ITS A MUST SEE!! (and it only takes about 10 seconds to download with a dial up!!)
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Last edited by Shinsa; 02-15-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Shinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:40 PM   #14
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Shinsa,

After that glowing recommendation from you, I just had to look and see what all the fuss was about. I agree!!
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:55 PM   #15
Shinsa
Registered

I'm still wondering how they packed it. I read how they used a mathmatical code to create the textures, but isn't that what happens when you compress a BMP anyway? I know there are better compressions than others.

I'm wondering if it is something like the .FIF format (Fractal Image File). Where a BMP is compressed using FRACTAL math.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."