Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-26-2002, 06:07 AM   #1
codgio
Registered

1 Highscore

New XP Problems

I say new because I've been running XP for a while now, and I've only started noticing this recently.

The problem is that the aquarium screensaver sometime kicks in while I'm working. I don't mean that I pause while I'm doing something and the saver kicks in then (I have it set to start up after only a couple of minutes of inactivity), but that I can actually be typing or using the mouse when it kicks in.

This wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't seem to start up properly and I end up with just a blank screen or sometimes just a blank section of the screen and I have to CRTL-ALT-DEL and shut it down from there.

While writing this I realise I havn't tried to see if this is just the aquarium or if it hapens with other savers as well. I guess I'll try and find out. Also I'll try and take note of what applications I'm running when it happens.

Anyone else noticed any similar probs.
Remember what the doormouse said...
codgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 06:34 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Thats a new one. I haven't heard anyone else saying that the SS just kicks in at various times, even when working.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

This is some kind of Windows problem. The program can't just launch itself, it has to be launched by Windows or by double-clicking the icon.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
codgio
Registered

1 Highscore

Jim,

I'd pretty much come to that conclusion before I finished writing my post, but I thought I'd post it anyway to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar before.

When I think about it, I can only recall it happening when Ive been using office....
Old 03-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #5
jhwpbm
Registered

I've seen the same thing here. I'll exit a bunch of apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and see "SereneScreen" minimized on the taskbar. . .can't imagine how it happens.
jhwpbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 10:43 PM   #6
Shinsa
Registered

maybe something to do with the OFFICE shortcut bar? I've seen lots of problems with it in the past, and always removed it. Also always removed the FastFind bloatware. Removing fastfind increased my cpmouters speed by about 30% or more. Very noticable.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 03-29-2002, 08:44 AM   #7
jhwpbm
Registered

Actually, I use neither the shortcut bar nor Fast Find (agree with your conclusions there and always disable both on all systems I build). I've begun to notice I quite often find SereneScreen minimized and I've been working the whole time (only using as a screensaver, no windowed use). It will continue running until I actually right-click the icon and choose "Close". Odd.
jhwpbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 08:51 AM   #8
codgio
Registered

1 Highscore

I agree with you both on the shortcut bar and findfast. Both are disabled.

I quite often 'Un-hibernate' my laptop and find the aquarium minimised, from where I can either click on it to restart it or just close it down with no problems. I ought to add that the aquarium was running when I hit the hibernate button. It didn't magically startup while the computer was asleep.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive