Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-18-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
jonjonbear
Registered

Won't run on my computer????

Hello Group..I downloaded the screensaver and paid for the registration and installed it on my athlon and it worked fine. I have a AMD K6-300 that runs all the time as a server so I figured it made more sense to run the saver on it so I installed it, but when I activate it the screensaver comes on, then I get these block patterns that flash across the screen sorta like a bench test and you can hardly see the aquarium behind it. I hit esc to get out and it stops but I have to reboot my system..This machine has a 4 meg video card, not sure what kind but probably "white box"..Am I sol on this machine?? It is running winME...Thanks...John
jonjonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The 4 MB video card is the problem. The Aquarium requires a fairly robust video card.

Try to track down a TnT Riva or TnT Riva 2, or even a GeForce video card. You can get an adequate video card starting around $30 used.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
jonjonbear
Registered

minimum reqirements?

Thanks for the reply, I figured it was the card but wanted to check..What would be the minimum card for decent results? This computer is basically used as a home automation server so it has to run all the time and I would like the beautiful aquarium displayed..That would probably be the only real video demand on the system..I have an envidia Geforce in my Athon for gaming but don't want to soup up this old one like that..I don't think this MB has a AGP slot either..Thanks in advance!! John
jonjonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 04:34 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

jonjonbear,

Check here for the latest pricing. http://www.pricewatch.com Look under Multimedia --> Video Cards. You can get a good GeForce card for around ~$30-$50 depending on what you would like to spend. Anything with 16 MB would work ok, 32MB or above would be fantastic.

At home I run a 64MB Elsa GF2 Ultra at 1600x1200, which is an expensinve card, and it looks awesome. At the office I run a 16MB TNT2 Ultra at 1280x1024 and get about ~60 fps or so.

Last edited by Jav400; 01-18-2002 at 04:39 PM.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
codgio
Registered

1 Highscore

I used to run the aquarium with reasonable performance with an 8Mb ATI graphics card.
Remember what the doormouse said...
codgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:05 PM   #6
HellBound
Registered

HOLY CR*P how the heck do u guys still ahve 8mb and 5mb video cards!!! You should atleast have a 32mb vid card noadays.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:25 PM   #7
Socrates
Sage

I ran it for like a year on an SiS 6360 card with 8MB (500MHz AMD). It got around 35 fps.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:36 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I have a 16mb TnT RiVa AGP.

For the people who say "dang, why don't you have something better", e-mail me and I'll give you my address so you can mail me a better card.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive