Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Drahcir
Registered

Angry Just a suggestion for the " [ ] " keys...

Great product.

Understand it's still in beta so it can only improve. Especially the fins and mouths that need a littl bit of work to give a more natural feeling.

My suggestion is to assigne new keys, that are not "keyboard language dependant" for adding/removing plants.

I use a french keyboard (I live in Quebec) and normally to type the "[ ]" I have to maintain the right ALT key while taping the [] keys .... but it does'nt work with this beta. Even when I switch to english keyboard.... it reverts to french when I launch GA. The only way to have it work is to set the english keyboard as my default language.

Is it possible to reassign this fonction to other keys that are not affected by keyboard language?

I don't know if people using other languages have the same probl.

Thanks

Ric
Drahcir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Thanks for the feedback, I did not know this problem. We will change this. This is odd since there is another product we work with that is very popular in France, and uses the "[" and "]" for almost everything.

Can you be so kind as to send me a pointer to a keyboard image on the Web that looks lust like your keyboard, and also make some suggestions for which keys this should be?

Thanks.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
Ormus
Registered

heaps of keyboard layouts:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/r...keyboards.aspx

Suggestion: Stick to letters and numbers (and avoid Y and Z). My pick would be 'O' and 'P'...

My website about my best vacation ever. http://connections.loben.net
Ormus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Very cool, thanks. M$ has tons of stuff, but normally really hard to find.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
Ormus
Registered

Originally posted by Reichart
Very cool, thanks. M$ has tons of stuff, but normally really hard to find.
Not only hard to find but also hard to understand (just look at some sections of the DirectX SDK...)
Glad I could help you...

Old 04-22-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Cool? Yes. But correct? In the Netherlands we switched from the Dutch layout to US-international at least 10 years ago. That definition of course still exists, but don't expect anyone to use it here.
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
  Ronald Zaalberg, Creator of Fish Picker
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #7
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

And, not just hard to find, but inaccurate

P.S. Hey, our first sale for Goldfish was to someone in Den Haag (although they wrote The Hague).

It really annoys me when America or France changes the spelling of a country to fit thier idea. Just leave it. Munich and München are a good example.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morgan had a suggestion that a single key could be used to just cycle between the plants. – Not that we're running out of keys or anything, just one less key to remember...

At first I was annoyed with stuff like München/Munich or why not Göteborg/Gothenburg too, but now I can't see the difference between those and referring to France as Frankreich in Germany, I mean Deutschland. When we're okay with local names for countries, why not cities aswell?

/Tiny Nationalities
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Cycling between plants is cool with one key. We are looking into some interesting ideas regarding plant placement.

In the coming month, we will lock down a singel key for this. And shift the key to go the other direction, and Ctrl the key for Force to 0, for example. We are playing with this.

95% of people never use shortcuts. Which is why the other 5% of us suffer. But we are teh most vocal. I use shortcuts for almost everything.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:44 PM   #10
Mollusc
Registered

I'd go with the one key option to cycle through all the different plant options. It's much easier to remember.

You've stumbled over my pet hate as well. I really would like to know who makes the decision (and who has the right) to localise the names of countries, cities or even people to suit their own requirements.

But I suppose I shouldn't get too stressed about it as even multilingual countries like Switzerland can't agree on a standard and end up with three different names for the country and many of the cities.
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:23 AM   #11
IXNAY
Green Frog

The plantsoption doesn't work on a german keybord too, I would like to see the tank with full of plants, can somebody post a picture of that?
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
Ormus
Registered

Originally posted by IXNAY
The plantsoption doesn't work on a german keybord too, I would like to see the tank with full of plants, can somebody post a picture of that?
It does work, even on german keyboards. 'Exit on Mouse' option off, change number of plants with shortcuts, 'Exit on Mouse' on again.

Old 04-23-2003, 04:17 AM   #13
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I count 7 keystrokes from full plants to none.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ga.jpg (10.9 KB, 232 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 05:14 AM   #14
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Mollusc
. . . You've stumbled over my pet hate as well. I really would like to know who makes the decision (and who has the right) to localise the names of countries, cities or even people to suit their own requirements.

But I suppose I shouldn't get too stressed about it as even multilingual countries like Switzerland can't agree on a standard and end up with three different names for the country and many of the cities.
Some languages don't have the right sounds for other countries names. – ot the correct letters! I challenge anyone speaking English to pronounce a town like Skepplanda correctly. (the sk sounds a bit like the German ch – only flatter )

Tiny Tounge Trouble
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:04 AM   #15
raven
Perculiar Clownfish

Originally posted by Reichart
P.S. Hey, our first sale for Goldfish was to someone in Den Haag (although they wrote The Hague).

It really annoys me when America or France changes the spelling of a country to fit thier idea. Just leave it. Munich and München are a good example.
I guess that would be me, do I win anything ;-)

And I think Tiny has a point, our 'G' seems to be impossible to pronounce. It's like clearing your throat but without the mucus
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:05 AM   #16
Ormus
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Some languages don't have the right sounds for other countries names. – ot the correct letters! I challenge anyone speaking English to pronounce a town like Skepplanda correctly. (the sk sounds a bit like the German ch – only flatter )

Tiny Tounge Trouble
Isn't that some furniture from Ikea? Just kidding, it's just that every scandinavian word sounds like it's sold there...

Old 04-23-2003, 08:39 AM   #17
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I won't even go into my travels there. I was looking for a train headed to Göteburg, which to me looks like Goatburg, not Yettaborry which is the way it should be pronounced.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:46 AM   #18
cjmaddy
Registered

What can you expect from a country whose cars have their lights on in broad daylight!

Last edited by cjmaddy; 04-23-2003 at 01:13 PM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:04 AM   #19
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

My Korean/English keyboard doesn't even have those keys "[ ]"

note: I just had to copy and past them right there.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #20
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Look like the “[“ and “]” are a really bad choice. We will change this in the next build. Which will be in a week or so.

Some of my favorite people are from the Nederland. What is really interesting about Dutch is that it is much more like English than people realize. With German, it “looks” a little like English, but it is very much different. But Dutch does not look like English, but in fact if you try to sound it out, it is very close.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows