Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-16-2001, 02:32 PM   #41

Re: .99K Released!!

I was told that the aquarium must be run in 16bit mode and not 32bit.
Well, for 99k i tried 32bit and my frame rate increase from 85 to 95-100, is the v99k include this upgrade so that it fit all resolution?
Old 05-17-2001, 02:36 AM   #42
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Sure .99K is not switching to 16-bit when it runs?

Hit S and read the top.

1024x768x16 HAL means 16 bit.

I don't think .99K has any 32-bit support, that's reserved for DX8. Could be wrong.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 04:00 AM   #43
Nut110
Registered

Amazing how Jroztan make it run on 32 bit mode

HOW HOW HOW????
I'm also amazed...
R u sure it's not the very big 32 bit window mode ???

^_^
Nut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 10:25 AM   #44

Serious, Mine is 800x600x32, not 16 bit.
Im using a MSI geforce mx 32sdram currently.
PII 300mhz. But i do have some pc boosting utilities im running at the same time. Just curios why mine can run at such a high fps.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:37 AM   #45
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Why running at 800x600? That's sort of a crippled resolution. The Aquarium is tailored for 1024x768 or better.

Is that a GeForce 2 MX 32mb or GeForce MX? If it's GeForce 2 then 100fps sounds right. GeForce 3 is getting over 300fps.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-17-2001, 11:42 PM   #46

to correct, mine is geforce 2 mx. anyway, i dont lijke to run at a higher res because my monitor is just 15" and everything will look darn small if i put at a hiher res. (i'll have squint my eyes at that time )
Old 05-17-2001, 11:48 PM   #47
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Aquarium still fills the screen at higher resolutions. Everything is the same size, just clearer.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 07:30 AM   #48
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jroz, you should run the Aquarium at 1024x768 even if you use your computer at 800x600.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:30 PM   #49
thebard
Copperband Butterfly

Re: Version K is out

Better late than never,h/drive failure meant I couldn't enjoy 99K until now[& I'll NEVER again lose my keycode,sorry!] V99K stunning & I always think each one couldn't get any better.fps increased to 85,don't know why, doesn't look any different from old 60fps but who's complaining,not me.
Colours & b/ground awesome,thanks Mr.Sachs. I'm a bit out of date with forum,thought I'd read that choosing"Random" meant no duplication - which I still get[duplication], did I read wrong -again, not a complaint, I don't use the random feature
thebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 02:35 PM   #50
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The random feature doesn't duplicate. Use it.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:23 PM   #51
thebard
Copperband Butterfly

Of course you're right. Of course I hadn't checked the other little box - blush!
thebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 10:52 AM   #52
hooters
Percula Clown

Re: .99K Released!! Random Duplication Option

Hmm - well I have to add in here seeing this came up again .
I have mentioned this in another thread but didnt get a response to it lol.
Here's the thing...... we learned a bit back that if u hit the space bar 2 times u can get the fish to change without restarting the tank right ?, right!!
well I have the box checked and it shouldnt duplicate a fish right?,Wrong!!
I can hit it 2X say 5 times in a row and u can bet ur bottom dollar theres gonna be 1 or more fish repeat itself over in that 5 times,
so to me that's duplicating and it's not working like well ide say it should.
theres what 18 fish , in 5 cycles it shouldnt be repeating a single fish once , untill it shows all 18 fish first
let the flame begin - no seriously- try it I'm not dillusional on this
I cant spell or type worth a hill of beans, but; no duplication should mean just that . and here it dont.. well not exactly .....
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 10:59 AM   #53
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: .99K Released!! Random Duplication Option

In this case "No duplication" just means that no two fish on the screen will be the same. The program doesn't remember which random fish were on the screen the last time it's universe was created.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 12:31 PM   #54
hooters
Percula Clown

ok thnx Jim i new i wasnt going nuts ,hehe,
could this be added to the option at all ?? somewhere down the road
thnx again for the replyur explanation should clear up future questions .
Old 06-24-2001, 03:27 PM   #55
feldon34
Forum Administrator

hooters,

How in the world do you expect Jim to do this "no random duplication" thing?

And if Jim rewrites it the way you describe, if you have all 7 slots random, then after 3 times pressing SPACE-SPACE, guess what, you've ran out of fish, in fact you run out after 2 times cause there aren't 21 fish yet!

What is Jim supposed to do then?

I think it's PERFECT the way it is.
Old 06-24-2001, 04:52 PM   #56
ajlaban
Registered

Re: .99K Released!! Duplication

Is duplication really such a bad thing? Particularly if a fish replicates only from screen to screen and not in the same screen? I do not use the random setting and instead periodically change a few fish. Actually I usually have the settings choosing at least 2 to 3 clown perculas. My wish is to have a way to exclude certain fish from the pool and I think that ability, in some fashion or other, has been added to the wishlist for Jim's consideration.

I want to make it clear that I have no dissatisfaction with any of Jim's handiwork. He has rendered every fish he added excellently well. Its just that if we had our own aquariums we would choose the varies types to add according to our own esthetic predilections. The great advantage Jim's Aquarium has over a real one is that those predilections are not limited by real world incompatibilities.
Passed away August 27, 2008.
ajlaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 05:03 PM   #57
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: .99K Released!! Duplication

Excluding certain fish and having multiple changeable tanks (I still think 4 is a nice round number), with preset fish we've selected ourselves is a great idea and if it's not written clearly on the wishlist, I can change the verbiage if that'll help.

Sorry if I snapped at you, a bit stressed out today.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:51 PM   #58
hooters
Percula Clown

eh feldon theres 7 slots, set 1 to randon ;thats leaving 11 fish left to cycle. U can still do what i said_and it will kick out the same fish as a predifined one as a random one more then once before it goes through each of the remaining 11 .
anyway say what ya like it's ur forum lol
I guess when it comes or if it comes the ability to exclude a certain fish may solve it anyway lol .
NOW THATS FUNNNNY. U SHOULD GET THAT FUNNY THING RIGHT . have a good day .
Old 06-24-2001, 08:58 PM   #59
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

hooters,
The confusion is in the fact that you are counting all the fish and every time that you "recycle" the tank as random. That is the mistake. The "No Repeat on Random" function applies to "only" each time that the tank is generated. If you set the switch to on and have 5 random slots, then none of the 5 slots will generate the same fish. If you regenerate the tank, then none of the fish in the next cycle will be the same, but it has nothing to do with the time before that.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 11:25 PM   #60

Random "duplication" of fish

The responses to the query on fish that "duplicate" when randomly recycled are correct. But just for all of you who were wondering, if all 7 fish are set to random, you will be delighted to see 31,824 different combinations of the 18 fish. HOWEVER, on average there will be 2.7 fish that are the same from one randon tank to the next (only 1% of the time no duplication; 10.4% 1 dup; 31% 2 dup; 34% 3 dup; 19% 4 dup; 4% 5 dup; 0.3% 6 dup; hardly ever with all 7 duplicated).

All you statistics fans are welcome to check the numbers; it's a whole lot more tedious than I thought, and I think I dropped a combination or two somewhere. When 99L appears, someone else will have to redo the numbers.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive