Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #41
feldon34
Forum Administrator

DirecTV-10 (a satellite) was launched in July 2007. It added capacity for 100 national HD channels.

Cable's solution for adding capacity is packet switching. This means that if you have two TVs in your house and one is watching Disney and the other is watching HBO, then the only channels that would be coming into your home would be Disney and HBO. With normal cable TV, all the channels are coming into your home all the time. With packet switching, your TVs (or using a cable box) actually send a request for the channels they want to watch and those are the only ones that are sent from the headend to your house.

This sounds logical and great, until you start thinking about TiVo and other video recorders that want to record 2 channels simultaneously (I know, how can someone watch that much TV, but remember that TV networks routinely pit popular shows against each other, forcing you to watch one or the other -- TiVo with dual tuners fixes that). The cable industry has fought tooth and nail against TiVo and against opening up their standards.

or

You might have heard of CableCard. It was something that the cable industry was forced to do to allow us to watch digital cable without having to rent one of those prehistoric, klunky, slow, buggy, advertising-laden cable boxes. CableCard shrinks down the relevant guts of a cable box down into something the size of a credit card. With a CableCard, you can watch all the channels provided by your cable company on your TV, your TiVo, or (eventually) your PC without having to use a cable box. BUT, the CableCard standard did not include provisions for the packet switching above.

So TiVo is once again out-of-luck in packet switching neighborhoods, even after spending millions designing the TiVo Series 3 (with 2 cablecard slots), lobbying the FCC and their own marketing campaigns to get CableCard ratified.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #42
drfish
the Doc

The cable card concept is further crippled by only being avalible to OEMs... I can't build a HTPC with cable cards so it's worthless to me.

I'm surprised you haven't comment in the HTPC thread, my last post was a screen shot of my system recording 5 shows at once, three SD from my three PVR-150s and two in HD from my HDHomeRun (QAM). Very cool stuff.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #43
Enigma
Registered

16 Highscores

Actually, Tivo has announced an SDV dongle that will allow this on the Series 3 and Tivo HD. It should be out sometime this year.
?
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #44
feldon34
Forum Administrator

drfish,

I did not realize you were recording 5 shows simultaneously. Wow!

Enigma,

Awesome. Forgot it was called SDV.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #45
drfish
the Doc

Jeesh Morgan, call me doc...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #46
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #47
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Hey Guys at Prolific,

I just got an e-mail from YouTube. It seems that I used the song "Stray Cat Strut" without permission, however the copyright owner, UMG, has allowed me to continue using it as long as they can place advertisements on the video's watch page. What would you like me to do? Would you like me to change the music or just leave it as is?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #48
Jim Sachs
Developer

The video's watch page? Meaning the YouTube page? Wouldn't that be up to YouTube?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #49
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I don't know. I'm just reiterating what was in the e-mail, but it makes a little sense. By allowing YouTube users to use their songs, UMG can place advertisements on those pages, maybe even for free or just paying very little. In return, YouTube doesn't have to pull millions of videos off the air.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #50
Mith
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Ha, ha - I've never seen a cat more disinterested in the Aquarium.  
I think there may have been a little mouse behind the screens... hehe
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #51
sophie_uk
Registered

Cat Video Contest

Hey guys, is this contest still going on? I've found a lot of posts about it, but none of them are recent. Ditto the Serenescreen news page. I have some video footage of my little cat patting the screen, but will have to go to some trouble converting the digital video files from Quicktime to AVI before I can edit the film, so I'd like to be sure the competition is going ahead before I bother!

Sophie
sophie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #52
Jim Sachs
Developer

If the video is any good, I'll get you a free Key Code.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #53
sophie_uk
Registered

That's a lovely offer, Jim - however,I bought the full version practically as soon as I clapped eyes on it - I absolutely love it, and even now, months later, will just start it and gaze at the fish for a few minutes to relax and enjoy all the lovely colours and light effects. I've loved all the recent work you've been doing, and can't wait for the next surprise.

Anyway, back to the cat video. I'm having trouble with it because it was taken on my Panasonic Lumix camera, and is in Quicktime format. Windows Movie Maker won't accept it for editing unless it's been converted, and none of the pieces of free conversion software I've found have actually worked! It's too long at the moment, and would need to have the credits put on it, to qualify for the competition.

Of course, the forum members are most welcome to see the video as it is (I guess I could post it on here?) but I must admit I was lured by the thought of $100!! I want to know if that's still on the cards, so I know how much trouble to go to!
sophie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows