Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-21-2002, 05:31 PM   #481
Swede
Registered

Cool Mandarine fish...

Hi Jim! I'm impressed with your work in presenting this wonderful world for us. No fishes or corals gets captured or harvested to be transported half across the globe. You make this hobby attainable for all, and at the same time you save a life or two.

I had in my aquarium the mandarine fish, and I read somewhere on this site that this fish might be introduced in the serenescreen later. I wonder how the fish will behave, when you give him life.

My mandarine hovered quite close to the rocks snapping for shrimps, propelling himself upp and down the rockwall. He was rarely seen swimming in the open waters... He was my favourite and I would like to see a similare behaviour in your mandarine. Will that even be possible?!

An other thing is about the water surface of the aquarium... or added depth. In a real tank we are quite limited, but here in this world of wonders... maybe? Reflections and real depth could give a more real look to the aquarium, something all aquarists strive for... A piece of nature in your livingroom.
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 02-22-2002 at 06:46 AM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:33 AM   #482
bslenter
Registered

Exclamation suggestions

Thanks for the lionfish Jim, it is a wonderful addition to my prized tank (er, computer screen).

My top wishlist item for the next release is the coral shrimp. I have one in my real aquarium and it is quite amazing. They are so striking with their red and white bands, super-long antennae, and huge claws. They look threatening yet extremely delicate. However I imagine it would be a huge challenge to code. How do you reproduce all those tiny legs and long, thin antennae.

I'm sure this one is on hold until the 3-d background, because he'll need rocks to climb on, caves to hang upside-down inside, and corals to pick food out of. And he'll take some real good 3-d trickery to code
bslenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:53 AM   #483
Jim Sachs
Developer

The current plan is to finish the 3D background, then get started on the first of 2 "creature-packs". The coral shrimp should be one of the first critters I create.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #484
peter piscis
Carpe Piscis

Angry window and saver both? Bubble noise always?

Now that the aquarium is even more indispensable, I wish I could have it running both in a window when I'm at work, and as a screensaver when I'm not. Or separate programs for each function? Failing that, is there a way to keep even just the bubble sound running when the screensaver is not active? (the "Bubble Sound program", available from your friends at SereneScreen at just a modest cost).

Just a wish - if it weren't so great, it would be easier not to keep thinking of these things.
peter piscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:15 PM   #485
bslenter
Registered

Can't wait!

Great news, Jim. I can't wait to see the shrimp. I'll gladly pay whatever the creature pack costs, I'm sure it will be well worth it (and you deserve something for all this effort). I've spent a lot of time observing my coral shrimp, so I could describe some of it's behaviors if that would help. One neat thing he does is reach up with his little front legs, grab the base of his antennae, then runs his claws along the full length of the antennae to clean off food that collects on them and eat it (bending those long antennae down in the process). Hard to describe - you have to see it. I can also get him to crawl up my arm (under water of course) and clean my fingers with his little claws - very cool.

Those of you who haven't seen a coral shrimp before will like it a lot - there's a picture of one on the wishlist.

Anyway, that's a ways off...you still have the 3D background to hassle with.
bslenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:47 PM   #486
Jim Sachs
Developer

Peter - I don't quite get what you are asking. Why can't you just run it as a window when you are working? Or minimize it and just listen to the bubble sound?
Jim Sachs
Old 02-22-2002, 07:50 PM   #487
peter piscis
Carpe Piscis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Why can't you just run it as a window when you are working? Or minimize it and just listen to the bubble sound?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, sorry to be confusing. I do exactly both of those. But as a window I run it small (not enough room on the screen for work otherwise), and I never have the time/memory to manually switch it to full screen when I leave the PC to do other things. It would be peaceful (Serene) to have it automatically come up full screen while I'm busy with non-PC work. Or, if that is not possible, I could be happy with just the sound while I'm working on the PC, if I could have the full screen saver otherwise. At present (I think)you cannot have two copies of the SS running, one as a window, and another as a SS. I hope that helps.....
Old 02-22-2002, 08:01 PM   #488
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, it's true that only one copy can run at a time. I had to put that in to eliminate the problem of the screensaver version coming up when the Desktop version was already running. This caused a resource fight, and crashed a lot of machines.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-22-2002, 09:10 PM   #489
peter piscis
Carpe Piscis

Jim, could the desktop copy watch for the screensaver version and disable itself when the latter awakes? Or otherwise be aware of each other... Just an idea to put aside for those dull programming moments... Thanks!
Old 02-23-2002, 02:51 AM   #490
Jim Sachs
Developer

Uh, I guess it could. Which of these buttons do I push to make it do that?
Jim Sachs
Old 02-23-2002, 06:25 AM   #491
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Make any windowed aquarium change to full screen when the screensaver is activated by windows.
The biggest problem is that when I run the screensaver as a window and leave the computer the screensaver doesn't start after the 25 minutes I set it to. It's one problem that should be fixed.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #492
qbus
Registered

Hmmm i dont rember seeing this so i will ask a tomatom clown fish. that is the deep red clow with one white strip.. 2 if it is young

also i cant wait for the sea horse but wont they need kelp to hold onto.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tomaclwn.gif (8.9 KB, 386 views)
qbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:54 AM   #493
Hemigod
Registered

Are there plans for any background Plants? Like those long thin green plants that slowly sway back and forth. That would add a nice touch. And that doesnt see too hard to implement =)

just wondering.
Thanks!
Hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:05 PM   #494
Lightfeather

Do you mean kelp? I think kelp might be two big for a 200-gallon tank.

But it sure looks really good at Monterey Bay Aquarium!
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:17 PM   #495
feldon34
Forum Administrator

qbus,

I've got a really good picture of a Tomato Clown somewhere. I'll post it if I find it. Of course if Jim is going to add a 2nd Clown, then he probably would feel obligated to provide another anemone just for that Clown and of course each species of Clownfish prefers different anemonae (sp?).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:47 PM   #496
Jim Sachs
Developer

There will be things swaying when I get the 3D background done, but it's difficult to find anything in a saltwater environment which would match freshwater plants. There are some "macro-algae that I'm looking into.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-01-2002, 06:30 AM   #497
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Anything like this in your mind, Jim? (Caulerpa cupressoides) :

This one looks also nice (Caulerpa taxifolia) :

Last edited by Yellow Tang; 03-01-2002 at 06:33 AM.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #498
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

What do you think about adding these?

Pachycerianthus fimbriatus (I find very interesting to watch)

Cucumber (a bit weird, kind of ugly, but variety is the spice of life)

Sand Dollars

Spotted Scorpionfish

Comments please
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:51 PM   #499
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

I was just doing some browsing here and found a couple guys I couldn’t resist to add to the wishlist.

Calliostoma annulatum (jewelled top snail)

Kelletia kelletii (Kellet's whelk)

Strongylocentrotus purpuratus (purple sea urchin)
I know this one’s been mentioned before, but I’d like to add my vote for it too.
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 07:28 PM   #500
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, I've been considering just about all those.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows