Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
funkysumo
Registered

Plasma Burn-in Issues

About a month ago I installed an NEC 42" Plasma screen at work. I ran the Marine Aquarium screen saver for about two weeks in the mode that cycles from day to night. I was surprised to see image burn-in from the coral and gravel (which do not move). None of the fish were burned in because of their constant motion.

Do you think that the 3D background could resolve some of these issues? Perhaps some kind of shrimp or crab could be included that would move around and over the stationary objects. Could this also help prevent burn-in?

I've heard that burn-in is a particular problem with plasma screens, but as they drop in price, more and more people will be using them as a great saltwater fish tank alternative!
funkysumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Plasma screens do indeed suffer from burn in as you have found out. LCD's do not, and are a better choice for the money IMO. As far as the 3D background it is planned to be about 2 times as wide as your screen and have a scrolling option. I am hopeing that this will alleviate any burn in problems.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

LCDs over 32" are just too darn expensive. The Biggest LCD: Samsung's LT-P468W 46" is 10 grand!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

The 3D background will have the ability to scroll back and forth.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I have no idea why they want so much for that one. Sony makes a 70" one thats been out for at least 5 years now and should have all the bugs worked out of it. I've personally looked at these and the picture is awesome. Sony says the retail is 6,999.00, but even Crutchfield sells it for 5,999.00 now, and you can find it at other places for down around 4,200.00 or 4,300.00 plus freight. If I was going to buy one right now this would be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony70.jpg (77.0 KB, 80 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Probably the same reason a BMW usually cost more than a sililarily sized Chevy...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Enigma
Registered

16 Highscores

The Sony 70" is an LCD rear projection TV, which uses a far smaller LCD panel to produce the image. The image from the LCD panel is projected on to a much larger viewing surface. The Samsung looks like it is one HUGE panel that is direct view, not a projection. Direct view will typically give you a better picture quality than a projection monitor.

I would still opt for the Sony projection unit for the money. Even if the Samsung has a better picture quality, I would never spend that much for a television.
?
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive