Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-05-2016, 03:23 AM   #1
Jeremy
Registered

Goldfish Aquarium 2 and Windows 10

Hi -

Since the installation on my PC of Windows 10, a week ago, Goldfish Aquarium 2 is problematic for the first time since getting it years ago. With Windows 10 on my PC it's as if I zoomed into the tank and the perimeter on all four sides of the tank is not seen; including very little gravel is showing. Please see the screenshot. I tried different Anamorphic settings below 1.0000, but that reduced the upper and lower sides of the tank only, crunching it vertically. All other screensavers display normally.

Is there anything you suggest doing about this issue?

Regards,

Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldfish2.jpg (941.3 KB, 37 views)
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy; 01-06-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
Jeremy
Registered

In the registry I found the following values but I don't want to experiment changing them.
Would you please let me know if I should change them and to what? Thanks:

MonRatio0

MonRatioWide0

Screen0

ScreenBtMode0

ScreenBitModeWide0

ScreenWide0
Jeremy
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Jeremy
Registered

Hello???

Would someone at least please let me know if it's possible to adjust Goldfish 2 or should I just dump it with Windows 10?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 02-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I am under the impression that the Goldfish SS belongs to Prolific. And.. as with all things belonging to Prolific.. support is the last thing on their list.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Jeremy
Registered

I believe you're right Ralph. Prolific has lost one customer at a time to the point that they really have ceased to exist. I wonder why?
Jeremy
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jeremy:
I believe you're right Ralph. Prolific has lost one customer at a time to the point that they really have ceased to exist. I wonder why?  
I think you are being kind to suggest they lose one customer at a time.. As to the "why".. I have my opinions.. but this is a family friendly website so will reserve my thoughts.

The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Jeremy
Registered

I'm guessing of course, but I believe Prolific would need to let me know what numbers are added into the registry for MonRatio0, so that the aquarium zooms out from where it is now. The interesting fact is, none of the other screensavers are affected as Goldfish 2 is - as I said, in Windows 10 it's as if I zoomed into Goldfish 2, as in the attachment in my other post.

Come on Prolific - This is not a big to do for you.
Jeremy
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Ralph:
.... As to the "why".. I have my opinions.. but this is a family friendly website so will reserve my thoughts.  
I'm finding it hard to reserve my thoughts, - but I'll try!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

At the best of times, Prolific did not really focus on any one thing. It was completely scatterbrained and everything got about 30% effort. Add a messy divorce and you have what you have now -- silence.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Jeremy
Registered

Thanks for your reply, feldon34, and sorry for the troubles at Prolific, especially the "messy divorce." Still, I would like to know how I can zoom out of Goldfish Aquarium 2 and have a normal view of it as I had with all other operating systems.

In the meantime, good luck to the fellow at Prolific.
Jeremy
Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #11
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Does Jim's Serene Screen show properly? There has been some discussion on the forum (and suggestions) as to zooming problems with Windows 10 and Serene Screen. Perhaps.. searching the forum for Windows 10 issues might give you some help

Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
Jeremy
Registered

Originally posted by Ralph:
Does Jim's Serene Screen show properly? There has been some discussion on the forum (and suggestions) as to zooming problems with Windows 10 and Serene Screen. Perhaps.. searching the forum for Windows 10 issues might give you some help  
Thanks Ralph:

Jim's SereneScreen Aquarium as well as all the other screensavers display properly, as they always have. A zoomed-in effect is just a problem that Goldfish Aquarium2 has in Win 10. I'll look into your suggestion as soon as possible. Thanks again.
Jeremy
Old 02-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
Jeremy
Registered

Hi Ralph:

Ever since I read your post I've been searching the forum for anything about "Windows 10," "zoom," etc, but I can't find anything. According to the search engine (that really does not work) everything contains those words that I searched for, but they're not in any of the posts, except in my own post.
I would greatly appreciate you posting a link to any post you saw that contains a zoom problem. Thanks.

PS - To the Admins:
Perhaps It's time to upgrade this forum's software to one whose search engine gives results of only what is searched for.
Otherwise it's completely useless.
Jeremy
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"10" is too short. No search term can be shorter than 3 characters.

And you want me to upgrade the forum software, at a cost of $250 plus dozens of hours of work, for 19 users?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
cjmaddy
Registered

The SereneScreen search function has always worked fine for me.

It's worked as an invaluable link with the past on many occasions, - but then I don't use Windows 10....

That could be your problem?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

Marine Aquarium doesn't have a 'zoom' feature. That's Eric Daniels' Goldfish program. I'll be seeing him on Sunday as he passes through my town on his way to Portland. I'll ask him about this feature.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #17
Jeremy
Registered

To Feldon34:

I don't mean my post to turn into a debate, but according to figures shown on this forum, it boasts "Registered Members: 3,971" and now "Browsing Forum: 49." However, you say only 19 members of those are active members. Who's correct, you or the figures displayed? Also, from what you say, does it mean that out of all the sales at SereneScreen, money is not allotted to maintain a forum to serve as support for the SereneScreen Aquarium community? That I find extremely odd.

Regarding Prolific, by what is shown on the SereneScreen website, Prolific is part of SereneScreen, Is it not? I sent a question to the SereneScreen website over a month ago specifically about this problem but I didn't even get a response.

As for the search words, I agree with you, "10" is too short a word to search for, but I did search for "windows" and "zoom," and those words displayed so many results where "windows" and "zoom" were not even mentioned. It should have displayed results only where those words do appear. I'm not sure, but maybe the search engine can be additionally configured to display more accurate results?

To Jim Sachs:

When you speak with Eric Daniels would you please ask if anything can be done about "zooming" out of "Goldfish2" in Windows 10? I love that goldfish aquarium as much as I love your "Marine Aquarium." I keep an auto screensaver changer installed that alternates the two.

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #18
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by feldon34:
And you want me to upgrade the forum software, at a cost of $250 plus dozens of hours of work, for 19 users?  
Are we really down to 19 users..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

Jeremy - Yes, I'll ask Eric about that feature when I see him on Monday.

Regarding your other questions -
It's true that Marine Aquarium is one of the most popular programs of all time, and it has made a lot of money for a lot of people - a little for Prolific, some for me, a lot for distributors, and a huge amount for Microsoft. It's been 14 years, which has got to be some kind of record for a program that was only expected to last a few months. Sales have dwindled to practically nothing, and for the past few years I've been living on royalties from Mindspark, while trying to build my house (www.castleonthecheap.blogspot.com).

Morgan (feldon34) created this Forum, and has always owned and maintained it. In happier times, I sent a monthly stipend to help offset his costs, but after my ability to do that ended, he has maintained the Forum entirely on his own dime. He has upgraded the software more than once and the Search feature actually does work a lot better now than it used to.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
while trying to build my house (www.castleonthecheap.blogspot.com).  
Some of us.. are missing your progress reports on the house

AND.. a big to Morgan for continuing to keep the forum running..

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows