Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-23-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
Craig Ralston
Registered

Cool Jerky fish

I started out with the 1.1 version and recently upgraded to 2.0. My aquarium worked wonderfully well with 1.1 until I updated my Windows software and then had to go back to a System Restore point. Ever since then, the fish are jerky, etc. I upgraded to 2.0 to see if that would somehow solve my problem. It didn't help. I am pretty sure it is my display driver somehow. I went into the hardware configuration and there was NO LISTING on my computer for "display adapters". It seems that this may be my problem. What should I do? I don't know how or where to download a driver.
Craig Ralston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
midranger4
Registered

Download and install AIDA32 from the following link :

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

Once installed run the program and go to the REPORT menu and start the Report wizard. You want to run a system summary only report in plain text and cut and paste the results into a post here.

From there we should be able to begin to direct you to the drivers that will correct your problem.

NOTE : Before posting please remove your IP address which will be reported by AIDA. You need only cut and paste the top of the report (System Summary area) as their is no need for the debug info at this time.

If we need additional info not supplied by the general system summary we will walk you through obtaining such information.

EDIT :

HMMMMM....how rude. AIDA32 allows a copy but won't place the text into clipboard for pasting.

You can save the report to a file and email it me if you are so inclined.

Simply PM me or ask an admin for my email address if you want me to give it a look.
midranger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #3
midranger4
Registered

Re: Jerky fish

Originally posted by Craig Ralston
I started out with the 1.1 version and recently upgraded to 2.0. My aquarium worked wonderfully well with 1.1 until I updated my Windows software and then had to go back to a System Restore point. Ever since then, the fish are jerky, etc. I upgraded to 2.0 to see if that would somehow solve my problem. It didn't help. I am pretty sure it is my display driver somehow. I went into the hardware configuration and there was NO LISTING on my computer for "display adapters". It seems that this may be my problem. What should I do? I don't know how or where to download a driver.
Do you know what video chipset or card you have (specifically)??
midranger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Craig,

Without going to all the trouble of downloading and running software on a system that is already giving you trouble, can you tell us what verision of Windows you are using and what kind of video card you have installed? Also do you have any programs that are TSR's. Which means Terminate and Stay Resident. Something like a virus scanner or so on.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
klyntun

Set your FPS to about 50. It may not correct the problem, but it's a good easy place to start (worked for me when I experienced similar problems).
Old 12-26-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
Craig Ralston
Registered

Question Jerky Fish

I tried changing the FPS to a lower rate and it made very minimal difference.

I am running Windows XP Home version and have no other problems with videos. I tried to see what kind of driver and/or video card I have and couldn't figure it out.

The computer is an Intel Pentium 4 2.0 ghz. It was custom made for me for primarilly business use not games, although they work well, generally.

The motherboard is an ASUS p4s333vm.

The invoice lists Pci 56k v.90 fax/modem, cdrw mitsumi 321040, Pci 3d sound card /w wavetable and Ddr pc-2100 256mb ram as well as other things i.e. floppy drive, etc.

Does any of this information help?

I am reluctant to download the AIDA 32 thing mentioned as I don't know what it is.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
klyntun

Since you have XP, it's easy to discover what video card you have.
Click on Start>Run, then type in dxdiag and click ok. On the resulting screen, click on Display. It will list your video card. Then let these computer gurus know.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There's no requirement to download any software to see what your computer is doing (or not doing).

Your Asus P4S333-VM motherboard comes with a built-in 3D video chipset. While not remotely as powerful as a standalone video board (These start at $35), they can often run the Aquarium acceptably.

Can you look on the back of your computer and see where the monitor cable (VGA) is plugged into the computer?

Is it plugged into one of the colorful up-and-down plugs where you plug your printer, keyboard, or mouse? Or is it on one of the horizontal silver slats below that?

If it's plugged in on the side, then you are using the built-in video.

Make sure you have the latest version of the SiS video driver for this motherboard.[Download your driver for XP here] | Asus' P4S333 website

If your monitor is plugged into one of the silver slats below that, then you have a separate video card. If this seems the case, post back here and we'll go from there.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #9
Craig Ralston
Registered

Question Jerky Fish

Well, now I know why a video card was not shown. Yes, the monitor plugs into an outlet of the motherboard. I downloaded the recommended driver but how do I open it or otherwise use it. I restarted my computer to see if it was an automatic type of thing but the fish are still jerky so it must need to be opened or installed or something. What do I do?
Old 12-26-2003, 08:21 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's quite unfortunate that Asus has not provided an installer.

<ol><li>You'll have to extract the ZIP file to somewhere convenient on your hard drive or perhaps a temporary folder on the desktop.
<li>Then you must right-click on a free part of the Desktop and choose Properties.
<li>In the window that appears, click the Settings tab at the top right.
<li>Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner.
<li>Click the Adapter tab at the top.
<li>Click Properties.
<li>Click the Driver tab at the top.
<li>Click Update Driver... at the bottom.
<li>In the window that appears, 'Welcome to the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard', click Next.
<li>Make sure 'Search for a suitable driver for my device (recommended)' is checked and click Next.
<li>Make sure 'Specify a location' is checked and click Next.
<li>Click the Browse button in the lower right corner of the window that appears.
<li>Now you need to tell Windows XP where to find the driver for this device.
<li>Locate the folder you just unZIPped your driver to.
<li>Click Open or Select and hopefully you should be presented with a message either that Windows has found a new driver for this device and will now install it or it will prompt you to select which video driver to use (SiS 961 I think).
<li>Click Next until it prompts you to Restart your computer.</ol>
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive