Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-09-2001, 08:13 PM   #1
Enigma
Registered

16 Highscores

Cool Size of aquarium

While at the "Rainforest Cafe" I saw several of the fish in Jim's screen saver in person for the first time. I was shocked at how big they actually were in real life.

How large of a monitor would you need for the fish in the aquarium to be life size?
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 09:18 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The fish represented here are juveniles, so that comes into play. But, if I recall correctly I think Jim said somewhere that this tank was representational of a 200 gallon tank. If thats the case those are about 6 feet wide.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 10:38 PM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

The fish are all juveniles. I have seen very small examples of most of these species - in some cases only an inch long with full adult coloration. The average fish in this tank is meant to be about 3 or 4 inches long.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 09:13 AM   #4
Louis
Registered

No choice of 1/2 current size ??

If there is a choice of 1/2 current size,
Regal Tang.... will be more lovely, is that right ?
Would you add this feature in the coming releases, JIM ??
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 11:40 PM   #5
David
Registered

I have often wondered about the size of the screensaver aquarium. Jim said that it is about 200 gallons with juvenile fish about 3 to 4 inches. So I decided to try and calculate it.

On my 17 inch monitor the fish average about 1 inch long, so 1 inch = about 3 ½ inches in real life. My monitor’s viewable area is 12.7 x 9.7 inches. Multiplying by 3.5 gives a view size of about 44.5 x 34 inches in real life. I estimate there are 5 inches of extra space on either side where 4 inch fish turn around with a bit of room to spare. In addition, I will add an extra 1 ½ inch on the top for air space and ½ inch on the bottom for more gravel. This makes internal dimensions of about 54.5 inches wide x 36 inches high. Add an inch on the two sides and bottom for glass and trim and we get external dimensions of something like 56.5” wide x 37” high.

I checked Oceanic’s web site, a premium aquarium manufacturer. Their standard 200 gallon tanks are 84.5 wide x 24.75 high x 24.5 inches deep overall. Proportions of aquariums differ. Some people prefer lower and deeper aquariums with lots of surface area to absorb oxygen. Others prefer a taller aquarium with a shallow depth providing a more showy aquarium.

The screensaver aquarium’s overall width to height ratio is 1.53 to 1. That’s different from the 3.41 to 1 ratio of Oceanic’s standard aquarium.

If we take a third off the length of Oceanic’s aquarium and add it to the height, we get 56.3 wide x 37.1 high x 24.5 inches deep, which is almost exactly the size I calculated above.

Estimation of the fish length was approximate, but I think the overall size of the screensaver aquarium is about 56.5 wide x 37 high x 24.5 inches deep. The viewable area would be something like 44.5 wide x 34 inches high.

David
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 12:02 AM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Somebody's got WAY too much free time
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 04:03 PM   #7
Lightfeather

Wow. That was amazing. *boggles at the concept*
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive