Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 03-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
FishTacoAfficionado

Big Grin Widescreen Bug on version 2.0.1!!!

A great update. I love the new interface with the fish facts and most of all, I love the new fish especially the blue ring angelfish.

But with more fish comes the wish of more fish on screen at once but arghh!!! It seems that version 2.0 took away my eighth fish!

I have a widescreen 17" iMac at 1440x900 and with version 1.1, I was allowed eight fish on screen. This new version 2.0 doesn't seem to recognize my 17" iMac's display as widescreen and it won't allow me to choose an eighth fish. That parameter is greyed out. Did anybody else catch this bug?

Hoping for a fix soon.....? Please. I want my eighth fish that was taken away from me.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

It's not a bug! - Have patience, - I understand the wide version will be along shortly!

Woops! - Just realized this thread is for those strange Muc computers, sorry! - same applies though! - (I think!)

Last edited by cjmaddy; 03-23-2003 at 07:00 PM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Unregistered

widescreen version?

wachu talkinabout willis?

The widescreen version is already built-in the screensaver as it was in version 1.1. It's simply activated based on the presence of hardware.

I have a widescreen display and version 2.0 simply doesn't recognize it as such. Therefore, I call it a BUG.

Speaking of bugs... not really a bug, but this new version still doesn't address the "oversight" (as mentioned by the mac porting team in previous threads) of not being able to remember or at least have the option of remembering where the starfish was on the glass once it finally makes it up there. Hard to believe this can't be done in OS X.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
mrtew
Registered

The widescreen bug was already announced and debunked on this forum. It just looks like you can't get the 8th fish in the control panel but there really are 8 spots there to select fish. And all eight fish do appear in the tank. Now if that starfish doesn't get a grip I am going to lose mine!
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
FishTacoAfficionado

Embarassed

Oh duh.

I'm stupid. I should count before I complain.

You're right, there are 8 fish there! And there are 8 spots to fill in the preferences tab. It was just a bit confusing since a greyed-out area annoucing that the 8 fish is for widescreen only made me think that was an empty and unaccesible parameter.

Nevermind.

Starfish definitely needs to stay put though.

Mabe version 3.0 in 2007?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:28 PM   #6
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

What is this about the starfish?
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Originally posted by FishTacoAfficionado
Mabe version 3.0 in 2007?
We went from version 0 to version 2 in a year on the Mac, simultaneously released with the PC version. I can't make any promises about when 3 will release as the schedule isn't in my hands, but surely there isn't a problem that the product on the Mac isn't maintained, that we don't fix bugs we find, is there?
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-23-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
What is this about the starfish?

You know.... you wait forever for the starfish to jump up on the glass and then next time you run MA he is back there lying on the sand..... he never has moved more than an inch in my year of running the Aquarium. On the windows version doesn't he stay up on the glass beween quits/restarts and roam all over the glass?
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
FishTacoAfficionado

Yup. As mr. tew said, the starfish fall back on the sand to their "start" position when you exit the screensaver. In the windows version, the last position of the starfish is remembered and the next time the screen saver is activated, you don't have to wait forever for it to crawl back up the glass (if it ever decides to that day) because it continues from where it left off.

The starfish is such a slow moving creature that it needs to be able to start where it left off. Or at least give us an option to do so in the preferences tab. After waiting a long time for the darn thing to finally make it up the glass, it is absolutely disheartening to find out that the little retard fell back to the same start position it always begins its journey from everytime I interrupt and reactivate the screen saver.

Last summer, there was thread here about this and someone from order N dev responded by saying it was an "oversight" and that it would be addressed in the next version. Well, version 1.1.2 was released around this past December and nothing changed with the starfish. So I assumed that maybe the person meant the next MAJOR version. So here we are with the newly released 2.0 and while I love the new interface, the new fish, and the fact that it was a free update, the starfish thing still hasn't been addressed. Please, can this even be done in OSX? Is there some sort of system software limitation due to nature of how screen savers are handled in OSX which lead the developers to a brick wall?

btw, that 2007 comment for version 3.0 was a joke. Fun sarcasm not intended to insult the developers. I know how far marine aquarium OSX has gone in the such a short time and I appreciate the great work that's been done.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:04 AM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I need to put some kind of message...

"WARNING: This is the Mac forum. PC advisors, know your surroundings. "
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:37 AM   #11
cjmaddy
Registered

Point taken Morgan, ........ with apologies!

Would a different background colour for Mac be out of the question? ..... Just a thought!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:27 AM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tangerine or lime then, I suppose

iTurtle
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-24-2003, 09:41 AM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ooh. Too bright. Let me tweak that a bit.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Fixed.

Last edited by feldon34; 03-24-2003 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:48 AM   #16
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

There is code in the aquarium to preserve the starfish position when the application is terminated. Use the application to get the starfish to a happy starting position for you. The screen saver follows a slightly different path through identical code, so this is my oversight.

For now, use the application to get the starfish on the glass. Close the application. Launch the application to verify he is still on the glass, then use the screen saver.

Sorry. Fix probably won't be in v2.0.3 as I have a deadline on that and not enough time to look into it.

Thanks for finding this for me.

Take care.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development

Last edited by JimO'Connor; 03-24-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:04 PM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Comments on the new color scheme?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #18
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

very tasteful.
;^)
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-24-2003, 12:36 PM   #19
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Since this thread started out asking where the 8th fish had gone, and multiple people had made this mistake, that means I should change something in the UI to make it clear. The label was meant to explain why the last fish didn't show up on 4:3 tanks, and it doesn't appear to be doing that well.

What would you suggest? It needs to fit in the space we have -- no fair suggesting things which require we change the size of the dialog much. :^)
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 03-24-2003, 01:14 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The dialog in question...

Last edited by feldon34; 03-24-2003 at 06:02 PM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive