Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #441
Jim Sachs
Developer

Actually, I'm already using commas as the search criteria. I've made a lot of progress in the last couple of hours. I'm now able to read any filename and put the duration into a spinbox for modification. Now I just need to get it back out of the spinbox, convert it back into ASCII, and re-insert it into the text string.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #442
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I wouldn't need to, since it wouldn't be in human-readable form. The array could just be stored as-is, like the fishset list. No need for complex parsers.  
And if it got corrupted by a crash? Or if somebody used regedit?

Just because something is not "human-readable" - doesn't eliminate the need for checking input for reasonableness.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #443
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
And if it got corrupted by a crash? Or if somebody used regedit?

Just because something is not "human-readable" - doesn't eliminate the need for checking input for reasonableness.  
I would rather Jim not waste time trying to make the Playlist file format "bulletproof".

Editing the Playlist file is an UNSUPPORTED way of modifying the playlist. The supported, documented way is through the Settings panel.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #444
Jim Sachs
Developer

I would guess that most programs can be crashed by entering bogus data into their Registry. That's why Windows doesn't come with an icon for Regedit on the desktop.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #445
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

If it was me , I would create a backup of the playlist data each time the program was run as a hidden file in the same folder as the original file - simply overwrite the same file every run . So if the user messed up the original file with sloppy editing , it could be restored to a ' last known good configuration ' state . Check for corruption in the main file before it is loaded so that the backup isn't overwritten with bad data , and don't save changes after a crash , and it *should* be okay . Just my 2c .
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #446
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
I would rather Jim not waste time trying to make the Playlist file format "bulletproof".

Editing the Playlist file is an UNSUPPORTED way of modifying the playlist. The supported, documented way is through the Settings panel.  
In theory here, I completely agree. [I was just attempting to point out that modifying the registry is equally "unsupported" - and remembering that we have been encouraged elsewhere in this forum to do things to the registry]

There is a balance here between the importance of Jim's work on the features, versus how robust the program is.

As a professional, however, I always encourage folks to check ALL inputs.

But I suspect that Jim is concerned about the workload on Prolific's technical support staff, responding to customer problems. The more "bulletproof" he makes it, the less user "babysitting" is going to be required.

Jim's in the best place to make that decision, of course.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #447
Jim Sachs
Developer

Butters - if I knew how to make a file hidden, I'd just make the original hidden.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #448
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Just purchased the upgrade and I must say, it's superb. Will updates be offered automatically up to the final version?
Sorry if that information is elsewhere. I'm a bit pressed for time, just thought I'd throw some well-earned compliments in your direction Jim.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #449
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, updates are free through the "final" version of MA3 (and probably a bit past).
Jim Sachs
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #450
Ex_Brit
Geordie

I guess I have to go looking for them periodically? Or is there a newsletter? I think I subscribed to Prolific & Serene Screen News...can't quite remember actually.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #451
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ex_Brit:
I guess I have to go looking for them periodically? Or is there a newsletter? I think I subscribed to Prolific & Serene Screen News...can't quite remember actually.  
Follow this link and choose notification by e-mail.

You will receive an e-mail every time there is a new version of the Aquarium to try out.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #452
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Trust me to overlook the obvious. Thanks Jim.

By the way, she works fine in Windows 7 too.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #453
Dale
Banned

Butters - if I knew how to make a file hidden, I'd just make the original hidden.  
How "hidden" do you need it to be?

Is it sufficient to have it hidden from the "casual" computer user? (One who has not changed Folder Options)?

Or more obscure than that? Or "totally hidden"?

There are ways to do each of those things (with advantages and disadvantages).
Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #454
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Somebody at Prolific should be able to help you with that.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #455
Jim Sachs
Developer

Dale - hidden enough to stop further complaints on the subject from you.

Patrick - I've just about used up my credits at Prolific.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #456
Dale
Banned

Dale - hidden enough to stop further complaints on the subject from you.  
Sorry, I was willing to try to help with your request, if that was possible.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #457
Jim Sachs
Developer

And what level of invisiblility would satisfy you that the users wouldn't be messing with the file?
Jim Sachs
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #458
timelord
Time is relative.

Jim, awesome job on this program. I downloaded and installed on Vao Laptop with duo core and video card memory of 1750mb. I am running at 1200 x 900 on widescreen in full screen mode. I am only getting 30FPS for frame rate. I have latest video driver. Is this normal for running at this resolution you think?
Thanks
Richard
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #459
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Timelord - might you be a Doctor Who fan ?

30fps does sound wrong . I get up to 83fps (1200x800) on my Compaq single core laptop with Radeon 200M graphics . This is without AA or AF of course . With AA on the frame rate does drop rapidly . What graphics chip do you have , and what do you have your sleep set to ? If you have Vista 64 ultimate , there have been hiccups .
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #460
Dale
Banned

And what level of invisiblility would satisfy you that the users wouldn't be messing with the file?  
Jim, I think you mistook my intentions.

I was just expressing a professional opinion that, for maximum program robustness, all inputs should be checked. Even if "there's no way it can be wrong". That's universally considered "good practice", and almost universally ignored in many circumstances.

Please note that I accepted your judgment, as the developer of this application, that having information in the registry was a sufficient amount of protection. And I accepted your judgment that you needed to do a lot of work because the file is visible and editable.

Please note that I agreed with Morgan that we "would rather Jim not waste time trying to make the Playlist file format "bulletproof".

Please note that I also said: "There is a balance here between the importance of Jim's work on the features, versus how robust the program is."

In fact, if I had been writing this program, I would have consciously deferred input-checking until later, and put it on the "to do" list, and moved on. You chose to do more input checking than that, and of course I accept that judgment.

Then you said: "if I knew how to make a file hidden, I'd just make the original hidden. "

So, because I know a bit about the subject, and because you asked, I thought I would offer to help.

Since there are several ways (with advantages and disadvantages) of making a file hidden, I asked for more details about "how hidden" you wanted the file to be. Of necessity, that is your judgment, not mine.

I believe you mistook that for a criticism or a "complaints on the subject".

That wasn't what I intended. It was an honest effort to answer "if I knew how to make a file hidden..."
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows