Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-10-2002, 05:44 AM   #1
Cobra
Registered

Question Desktop Dreamscape

Jim,

the 3d animated desktop ss-aquarium some users have been asking for should be possible. Something technically similar can be found here:

http://desktopdreamscapes.com

Beside... when will your great work be published in germany and who will publish it?

Greetz
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Prolific is talking to a German publisher, but nothing is definite yet.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:06 AM   #3
just some guy
Banned

Thanks

THANKS

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:46 AM.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:13 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I am not often impressed by screen savers or 3D programs in general.

Holy s***!

That is incredible. I am definitely going to buy DesktopDreamScapes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:30 AM   #5
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

just some guy,
Another link for you: http://www.3danimatedwallpaper.com/

They say "Plays most screen savers on the desktop", but alas not the aquarium. It might however work with the XP version, because that one uses the preview mode (small monitor in the display settings) which is required for this program to display it on the desktop. I believe I have seen similar programs that also required the preview mode.

Jim,
I know some time ago you had not figured out how to get the preview mode working in directx 6. It seems not figuring this out is a good way to prevent people from running the aquarium on their desktops.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #6
just some guy
Banned

(deleted)

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:46 AM.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

Thumbs Down

Holy smokes.

Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:36 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 05-11-2002 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Morgan - He might have been referring to your comment about not wasting time on the desktop because it is almost never seen anyway. I share your view on this -- once the first app of the morning is launched it's goodbye desktop for 16-20 hours 'til shutdown.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 03:53 AM   #10
Swede
Registered

This 3D desktop was really cool!
But... I don't know if it's just on my computer; all of those live desktops takes up too big part of the system resources. The startmenu gets slower, aplications twitch, and now and then the live background halts for a moment... (when you open a menu or something.)

If they all worked without disturbing my system, it would be great to have a live desktop, but I have yet to find one... And I agree with Jim; they are really cool to see... but how often do you just sit there and watch it?!

I am about THIS CLOSE to banning you from the forum.
Morgan, threats written publicly here on the forum doesn't look especially nice... Maybe a private message directly to the person you have an argument with, would be more apropriate? Just a thought. It's not fun to read...

and Just some guy, you said you were gonna drop the subject; please do... sometimes you can't convince people to change their opinion... Just let it be.
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 06:13 AM   #11
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Swede
did u read the FAQ of Desktop Dreamscapes ?
I don't notice any slow done on my system but only the Desktop Dreamscapes itslef frezz or become choppy and this is intentional and I don't mind that, the program is same as SETI@Home which receive idle clock of CPU.
here's the quote from its FAQ

- Does Desktop Dreamscapes slow my machine down?

Desktop Dreamscapes is designed not to interfere with or slow down your normal use of your computer. It runs as an idle process, using only CPU time that would otherwise be wasted. It also monitors and releases video resources when another application or game needs use of the video card.

- Sometimes it's running when another application is doing something, will this slow my computer down?

Often times another application will perform a non-CPU intensive task, like loading data from the hard drive. Since the CPU would normally sit idle during this time, Desktop Dreamscapes keeps running, but this does not affect the performance of the other application.

- Desktop Dreamscapes sometimes pauses for several seconds.

This is intentional. Desktop Dreamscapes monitors system activity and will pause and/or release video resources when it detects that another application may soon want them.
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 07:17 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Swede,

Morgan, threats written publicly here on the forum doesn't look especially nice... Maybe a private message directly to the person you have an argument with, would be more apropriate? Just a thought. It's not fun to read...
He has been asked on numerous occassions, both in public and in private, by Morgan and myself. But there comes a point in time where enough is enough.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:07 AM   #13
IXNAY
Green Frog

Kills my PC if I run it
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:50 AM   #14
Swede
Registered

James,

Desktop Dreamscapes is designed not to interfere with or slow down your normal use of your computer. It runs as an idle process, using only CPU time that would otherwise be wasted. It also monitors and releases video resources when another application or game needs use of the video card.
What is most anoying, is the irratic mouse pointer I get. It's like it skips every second pixel, instead of moving smothly across the screen. Also, when I move open windows around, it leaves traces, and studders. When I use programs like AutoCad and Photoshop I need a pointer that doesn't jiggle.

Call me perfectionist, but I don't wan't my system to suffer in performance, when I have programs running in the background.

-"Interfere, and get uninstalled really fast!"

Maybe it's just my grafx card, but I tried different settings on it without any improvement. So soon I will unistall it for the second time. hehe
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 10:46 AM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

> I've deleted my comments above <

On most forums, these problems are taken care of in private. Then you have someone who comes out and says it's some conspiracy or censorship or something. I want people to see what's going on publicly.

I know I run an uncharacteristic forum. So far it's served the SereneScreen community pretty well, BUT, I am always open to suggestions. Several fans here on the forum helped me decide on changes to the website, for example. And I have added/changed things on the forum at people's request.

Last edited by feldon34; 05-11-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:02 PM   #16
apollo
Registered

It looks like "just some guy" deleted most, if not all of his former posts. Does this mean he is gone, never to return????
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:05 AM   #17
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Apollo, so it seems. Whether he's gone from here or not, only Tim (Just Some Guy) himself knows. Hopefully he's not, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see, right?

/T²
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:22 AM   #18
apollo
Registered

Yeah, Tiny I guess your right..time will tell.. I hope??? Did you notice that their is another person on this forum with the name"some guy"...he doesn't visit here very often but I have seen him on the boards a couple of times..If "just some guy" is gone then we will still be left with "some guy" Sorry if that seems like a bad joke...
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 09:09 AM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Not particularly funny. Actually, when some guy joined, I was going to suggest a different name since we already have just some guy. *sigh*

I don't want the guy not to post. I just want him to take the requests for a desktop version of the Aquarium off the forum. We enjoy all the privileges of being the "official" SereneScreen forum and fan website.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:59 AM   #20
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
let me pull back the topic....
I bought DD yesterday and installed all other 6 more scenes...
wa..they looks so great....
and I can localized it myslef by changing the words in the lang.csv file under DD's folder....so cool.....
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive