Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 07-30-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
Paphitis
Registered

Starfish on Glass

In the twenty or so days that I have had the Marine Aquarium running as a screensaver or as an app I have seen the starfish on the glass only ONCE despite having that option checked in the preferences. It was great to see the underside with all it's quivering tentacles. Is it possible to get it to do this more often, or is configured to perform this trick only every two weeks
Paphitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 08:41 PM   #2
Socrates
Sage

Re: Starfish on Glass

Originally posted by Paphitis
In the twenty or so days that I have had the Marine Aquarium running as a screensaver or as an app I have seen the starfish on the glass only ONCE despite having that option checked in the preferences. It was great to see the underside with all it's quivering tentacles. Is it possible to get it to do this more often, or is configured to perform this trick only every two weeks
It is only possible for it to go on or off the glass when the backlights are up and the front lights are down.

So get it up there, then set your foreground lights to stay on.

It is also supposed to remember where it last was when you stop and restart.

If any of that isn't true in the Mac Beta, then either they redesigned the function or there is some minor bug. Also on Windows, you cn edit the Registry to determine th position, I don't know what the Mac equivalent is.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:57 AM   #3
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
well....why not try out Mountainmaster's fish picker programe? it includes 10 starfish on glass positions to choose from...and u get the instant result..
Thread about this great Tweaker:https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&postid=16817
Download link:http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Mountainmaster's program doesn't work real well on Macintoshes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:16 PM   #5
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
oops sorry, I didn't notice its a Macintoshes version here talking about.....man...so embarrassed
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 11:50 PM   #6
mrtew
Registered

I wish there was a checkbox to KEEP the starfish on the glass. Either that or have it remember where it was last. I spend five minutes getting him up there and the second the screensaver goes away and comes back he has fallen off. It kinda bugs me seeing him sitting there on the sand in the same place all the time.
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 03:07 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Not sure why your starfish isn't remembering position. It does on mine.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 08-04-2002, 10:28 AM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Does the starfish forget its position in the Mac version?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
Paphitis
Registered

Reply to Jim Sachs

Since I started this thread, I guess it is appropriate for me to reply to Jim Sachs inquiry. This, of course, may only apply to the Mac version. It seems the starfish doesn't climb on the glass unless the screensaver has been running continuously quite a while, usually more than ten minutes. It will stay on the glass through several light cycles if the screensaver is undisturbed, but if I access the computer for even a second and then return to the screensaver mode, the starfish is back on the sand. When I first made the complaint, I suspect I wasn't patient enough to wait for starfish to do his glass climb. I was just wondering if there were way to induce him to do it more often, or, optionally, to always leave him on the glass.
Paphitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 11:27 AM   #10
ValleyGuy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Does the starfish forget its position in the Mac version?
Yes, it forgets its position on the mac version. Maybe an alternative to remembering position (or in addition to that) might be a sub-preference under the current "Starfish allowed on glass" such as "Start starfish on glass" which would pick a random starting position.
ValleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:38 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Windoze version remembers the Starfish's position between sessions.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #12
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The Mac version doesn't save the starfish position. This was an oversight which wasn't noticed soon enough to get in the release. I'm sure we'll get to it eventually. Right now we're kind of busy on OS 9.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 02:10 AM   #13
Unregistered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
I'm sure we'll get to it eventually. Right now we're kind of busy on OS 9.
You didn't get the message? OS 9 is dead!
We don't forsee any issues with OS 10.2 do we?
Old 08-05-2002, 02:59 AM   #14
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

We've done a little bit of testing on Jaguar without any incident. I don't think there will be any problems. I run it on the Jaguar equipped 17" iMac at the Apple store when I go there.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:45 AM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've gotten a couple of e-mails from people running OS 8.6 begging for a version of the Aquarium.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 AM   #16
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Originally posted by Unregistered

Yes, we got the message. Then we considered the source...
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #17
Unregistered

Yeah, Steve Jobs asked all developers to stop developing for OS9. He wants to get everyone running OSX so the Mac community won't get as fractured as the Windows folks. Sadly I don't think everyone will move to OSX anytime soon as he keeps charging $130 for upgrades, but still, don't let the OS9 version distract you from keeping that little starfish in his place! :-]
Old 08-14-2002, 02:12 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It would help if Quark Xpress and Strata3D ran with some stability on OS X, never mind being carbonized.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:20 PM   #19
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

I keep reading about stuff being "carbonized for OS X." I'm getting the vague idea that it means being ported or recompiled or rewritten or *something* in order to be an OS X native program. But why the term "carbonized"? What does it mean in this context exactly?
BlueWinterWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:13 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

In order for a program to run in the protected memory space of Mac OS X, and in order to display and use all the user interface functionality, support for Mac OS X printing, etc. etc. etc. developers must rewrite 8-12% of their software in a process called "carbonizing" (yes, like Hans Solo!).

Photoshop 7, Premiere 6.5, Adobe InDesign 2, Microsoft Office X, Illustrator 10, etc. are all examples of carbonized applications which run as smoothly on Mac OS X as they do on Windows 2000 (aka near-perfect).

Quark Xpress and Strata3D are examples of programs (each costs $600-1000) which the developers have not yet carbonized. As a result, they run in a compatibility mode on Mac OS X which is not particularly stable. They actually run worse than they do on a clean-booted Mac OS 9.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive