Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-09-2001, 01:40 PM   #1
riz
Registered

Refresh rate halving my framerate?

I am experiencing a wierd problem that I have not seen anyone here mention. Basically at different refresh rates, I get very different frame rate results... for example:

Resolutions ranging between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200:
85hz = 42fps
75hz = 37fps
60hz = 60fps

I have tried this on Win2K and WinME... and I have two different PC's, AMD 1466, 512MB, Radeon 64mb Vivo and a PII 400, 384mb, Elsa Gladiac 511 MX400 64mb... I have tried the newest supported ATI drivers as well as the beta drivers.... and have tried the 12.41 and 21.81 nvidia drivers. I have all my drivers updated and DirectX 8.0a with video update... everything is up to date

I am aware of diabling vsync but on the Radeon card nothing changes... for some reason the refresh rate appears to be halving the fps which doesn't make any sense to me... I thought the refresh rate with vsync enabled would cap out at refresh rate but here it's capping out at half the refresh rate. Lastly, yes, I have used the DirectX override to achieve the different results but unless my cards are set at 60 refresh, that's the only way I can get 60fps which is what I deem as the minimum fps for realistic movement

Thanx for your input,
riz
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 12:37 PM   #2
riz
Registered

Re: Refresh rate halving my framerate?

Fine... no one else is experiencing this problem but...

- Can anyone speculate on why this would be happening?
- Does a higher refresh rate lower performance (FPS)??

My main box has more than enough horses to run this flawlessly at 1600x1200 so I see no excuse for getting low framerates on any refresh rate other than 60hz

Thanx,
riz
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 10:41 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

The program itself has no interest in the framerate. It just draws a frame, and when finished, draws the next one. There is no performance penalty for setting a high frame rate.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:04 AM   #4
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

That does seem to be a very weird problem. Unfortunately, I have not heard of a problem like this before and cannot offer a solution.

I was reading your post when I saw this,"I am aware of diabling vsync but on the Radeon card nothing changes". I just got done reading the article at Anandtech about the new Radeon 8500. When they ran Unreal Tournament, they experienced a problem. Here is a quote from them:

"We mentioned in our last review that ATI's drivers had a problem with UnrealTournament. The problem has not been solved in the latest driver build and basically results in vsync limited scores in spite of the fact that vsync is disabled in the drivers. This explains the poor performance of both the Radeon 8500 and 7500. ATI provided us with a fix for the solution by rebooting after disabling vsync but it did not work under Windows 2000."

This problem went away when they ran the UT demo in Windows98/ME.

I have no idea if this will help you or if the Radeon 64 uses the same drivers as the 7500 or 8500. I do realize that your problem does occur with the nVidia line of graphics cards. I just thought that it was kind of weird that you both had the same problem.

Once again, I am sorry that I could not provide a fix for you.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive