Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-21-2002, 06:49 PM   #1
nicksteel
Registered

Am I the only one with installation problems?

I used "sachsremove", deleted 99L file, installed, registered and screen goes black for a moment flickers pixtels, then returns. I left all settings at default, including desktop resolution. 99L was working flawlessly.

When I check configuration, test does same thing.

PIII/750 Radeon 32DDR, DirectX8, Latest Drivers

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by nicksteel; 02-22-2002 at 06:28 AM.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:55 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

When did you get your new Key Code? If you got it in the first few hours last night, then you may have gotten one of the bad ones. If so, the problem is fixed so you can go to the site and get a good one now.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #3
albrt
Registered

Big Grin same problem here

Boy, I thought I was the only one..Mine even went to a worse problem...I never got a email as of late last night so I went to the serene screen site and requested one and I got one..Things seemed to run fine last night..Booted up tonight and oh my god..It behaved just like the other memember but then my pc was really screwed up..whenever i clicked "my computer" instead of seeing my drives, all that came up was the device manager..same with the my document, only the properties part. I was shocked and dismayed..I uninstalled version 1.1..i run win xp pro so i was able to restore my system..Last night I asked the forum how to get rid of the 99L version..Could this have caused the problem? having both of the versions on my system?? help please. i just got my notify from feldon a few min. ago..Maybe I had gotten a bug or something...any ideas??
albrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:15 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Aquarium will either run or not, depending if it has a valid Key Code. Those other problems would have to be unrelated.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:28 PM   #5
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

nicksteel,

Try disabling Exit on Mouse Move. It seems to be a little too sensitive on some systems (including mine).
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
albrt
Registered

re: bad install

Jim, I really hate to disagree with you but I don't agree. I have been running the aquarium since last August on the same os and same pc. It run last night but only breifly then when it tried to come on, i had sound then back to desktop with the screensaver , just sound..as i said I was told to just throw the fish.scr in recycle so i did that thinking it would help.. that is when the other problems started. My machine is:

Dell 1.1ghz PIII
Ati Radeon DDR 32mb video card
512 sd ram
Old 02-21-2002, 07:40 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Albrt,

There is something corrupted in your registry or system.
The Aquarium is merely revealing this problem.
I'm sure if you try to install other programs, you will get similar problems.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:49 PM   #8
asprague
Regal Angel

Mountainmaster,
If I recall correctly, the problem of the "too sensitive" mouse was eliminated many months ago in one of the lettered updates.
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
albrt
Registered

Feldon, I am not sure you are right but I understand why you would tell me this..XP is pretty good at repairing anything that goes wrong so for the sake of agrument I will run a repair on it tomorrow to see what happens before I even consider reinstalling the aquarium.. I bought the screensaver in August because I felt it was the best I had seen..I still beleive it is good and will do everything I can to keep it running..Maybe it just needs to get used to being on my system..If i get the 1.1 to work; do I have to keep the 99L? If not should i use the serene screen removal tool that profilic sent me a couple months ago?? thank you for your thoughts.........a fan of the aquarium
Old 02-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #10
Alan5758
Registered

Exclamation

If some people are having trouble with installation of the new upgrade; may I suggest:

1. Disabling any virus and unnecessary programs running in the background. (this can be ver important)

2. Uninstall the previous version.

3. Defragment your harddrive if not done in a few days.

4. Try reinstallation of upgrade. It work for me after a couple of attempts. Most virus programs can be quite annoying when kept running in the background. They don't like the changing of the files. I hope this will work for anybody out there still having trouble upgrading. My main mistake I think was not disabling the virus program.
Alan5758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #11
asprague
Regal Angel

Alan5758 is correct that an antivirus program running in the background can cause serious problems.

However, in fairness to Prolific/Jim/etc., it should be noted that the installation wizard specifies turning off anti-virus programs as follows:

"SereneScreen Aquarium asks that you disable any Virus scanning software before continuing installation.

"This is not required, but it may ensure a proper and complete installation.

"SereneScreen Aquarium requires DirectX 6.0 or greater in order to function properly. If you do not have DirectX 6.0, you should download and install DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/directX/."
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 07:42 AM   #12
albrt
Registered

How do we uninstall the previous version correctly???
Old 02-22-2002, 07:59 AM   #13
Alan5758
Registered

Thumbs Up

All I did was go to the start button on taskbar then programs, then serene aquarium and press the uninstall. It may depend on your version of Windows. I'm using Windows XP for Home.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:09 AM   #14
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

albrt,

When uninstalling the previous versions, I also always run Morgan's registry cleaner just to be on the safe side. There is also a small program that will check your registry for you to make sure that everything is as it should be. Then install the newer version.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:17 AM   #15
Alan5758
Registered

Thumbs Up

Asprague wrote:

However, in fairness to Prolific/Jim/etc., it should be noted that the installation wizard specifies turning off anti-virus programs as follows: .....

This is correct, but how many people really think about this when they have been anxiously waiting for such a great program. I myself forgot to disable my virus program (I usually remember this 99.9% of the time).
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive