Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
David
Registered

Fish Settings Problem

I was very glad to see the new Beta, and have been enjoying it very much. I have dual monitors so I was particularly delighted to see different scenes on each monitor, and scrolling as well!

With Beta 3 I am still having problems selecting new fish sets. In Fish Settings I select New Set, type in a name and then proceed to change the selected fish from the previous set. (The previous set is still highlighted in blue and the new set is white.) I press OK. When I go back to the Fish Settings both the previous set and the new set have the same settings as I set the new set to. All the other sets remain as they were. Apparently the previous set is still selected and receives the settings of the new set.

AMD Phenom X4 9550, 2GB Memory, ATI 4850 Graphics Card, Dual Monitors, Windows XP Pro
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

When you change settings, it affects the current (highlighted) set. When you make a new set, it starts out as a copy of the current set, then becomes the new current set when you press Enter.

I just found that pressing Cancel does not revert to the previous settings as it should. That's a bug which I'll have to address.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'd love to see MA3 come with a set called < Default Set > that way when we are making changes, it is more obvious what exactly what we are doing (and what we're modifying).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
David
Registered

I just tried out Beta 4 and it still has the same problem.

When you make a new set and change fish, it not only changes the new set but also changes the previous set to the settings of the new set. For example start out with the default set of 14 random fish and create New Set 1 of 15 Yellow Tangs and press OK. Now the Default Set has 15 Yellow Tangs and New Set 1 has 15 Yellow tangs. Then Create New Set 2 with 10 CopperBand Butterflyfish and press OK. Now New Set 1 has 10 CopperBand Butterflyfish, New Set 2 has 10 CopperBand Butterflyfish and Default Set has 15 Yellow Tangs.

It seems as you press New Set and select new fish you are still using and writing to the variables of the previous set. Whether you press OK or Cancel it still writes back to the previous set.

When you press New Set it should create a completely new set of variables that has nothing to do with the previous set. I would think it best if these variables were all set to 0 fish, but in any case they shouldn’t write back to the previous set.

I tried selecting New Set, changing fish and then pressing Cancel and it seemed to lock up several times.

I tried pressing New Set without entering a name, changing fish and then pressing OK. The blank new set wasn’t listed but the previous set had the new settings.

The logic of the Fish Settings section obviously needs to be improved.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
G600
Registered

Press Enter after naming a new set and the problem is solved.
Pressing Cancel still doesn't revert to the previous settings and sometimes I get the "Microsoft has encountered a problem" message.

Intel(R)Celeron(TM) 1400MHz, 512MB Memory, GeForce 4Ti 4200 with AGP 8x, Windows XP
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, Cancel is still broken. Everything else seems to be working here, since my latest update. Granted, the FishPicker interface still needs some revisions, but I just had to get some way of choosing fish into the program.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows