Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #521
Jim Sachs
Developer

That would mean moving every pixel of the background - an incredible resource hog. Frame rates would plummet and processor use would skyrocket.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #522
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Actually, rippling effects on the background can be done very cheaply with GPU effects. If there is one thing a graphics card can do incredibly fast, it's move pixels around (on the order of billions of pixels per second even on older GeForce cards).

A particle system could be used to create squares of random sizes which displace the background by a few pixels The direction that those particles flow determines the direction of your water current.

Games have been doing heat rippling off hot pavement or off a fire source for years now and I believe it is done in the GPU.

I am not even saying MA3 should have this feature, only that it is certainly possible without a huge "CPU tax" by bitblitting sections of the background in random directions by 1-2 pixels or a fraction of a pixel and then blurring the result.

Probably a low priority thing though...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #523
rctneil
Registered

to be honest, just an option to have that would be a good thing for those people who use multi monitors and cannot have the scrolling then that would eliminate the possibility of screen burn from the background!
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #524
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by rctneil:
to be honest, just an option to have that would be a good thing for those people who use multi monitors and cannot have the scrolling then that would eliminate the possibility of screen burn from the background!  
I have substantial doubt that we could find anybody with multiple CRT monitors or multiple Plasma monitors. And LCD monitors don't have a screen burn problem.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #525
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by Dale:
And LCD monitors don't have a screen burn problem.  
Technically true. With LCD's, it's called "screen persistence" and is caused by a different mechanism.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/moni.../LCDBurnIn.htm

As it so happens, I have two identical Viewsonic 19" monitors, one of which displays this problem and the other one does not. Overall, the problem is not as serious as CRT burn-in since it can be corrected relatively easily but it is definitely annoying.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #526
michalos
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
That would mean moving every pixel of the background - an incredible resource hog. Frame rates would plummet and processor use would skyrocket.  
yes , but a dual or quad core processor and a vga under 8800gt can have the necessary power to display this . And it can be this option "off" by default , but the user can use this if the hardware is enough powerful to do this.

Mod Note: Had to strip out all the MS Word codes.
michalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #527
Dreamster
Banned

Listening to Music!

Ahhhh... Finally! Jim, I now hear music from a playlist. Finally got around to a fresh install of WinXP and music now plays.

When are those clams coming? I'm getting hungry
Dreamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #528
bigbass22
Registered

Hi Jim
As a (very) amateur artist I know it's important to be given credit for your work. I distinctly remember you signing your name in version 2.6 in the lower left hand corner (in the gravel) of the tank. However in version 3.0 there is no signature. How come? If anybody deserves credit for this awesome effort it's you.
bigbass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #529
Jim Sachs
Developer

It will be there, I just haven't had time to put it in yet. Can you imagine the outcry if I announced that the clam animation would be delayed while I worked on my signature?
Jim Sachs
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #530
Scott Cooney
Registered

Just wanted to say Jim you have done a great deal of improvement over previuos versions of MA. Glad to back at the forum its been a few years. Now I have a better computer your work on this project is awesome! Noticed the fish seem to look as if they are searching for food. It would be cool if they could pick a piece of gravel from the bottom and spit it out. Great job!, It just keeps getting better, and better. No problems.
Scott Cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #531
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Scott,

Welcome to the forums and I know Jim is hoping to do fish pecking at coral, etc. The next thing we should be seeing is the clams opening and closing I hope.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #532
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

to the forums.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #533
nreimer
Registered

I've been away from the forum for quite some time and come back to find a new version coming soon. Very exciting. I took a quick look and all I can say is AWESOME. Jim, thank you for your dedication, hard work, and always standing by your principles to produce a realistic and beautiful work of art.
nreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #534
Producer-Magic
Registered

Long time newbie

Have been a fan of this screen saver for many years and given it to many friends. I look forward to the finished version of 3.
Producer-Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #535
dondragon62
Registered

The finishing touch I would like is the engraved clock then of course as Tatoo would say "The Clams The Clams" then on to the fish packages.
dondragon62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #536
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's on the list.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #537
rctneil
Registered

How are the Clams progressing Jim?, Any updates on the "fake" look you mentioned?
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #538
Jim Sachs
Developer

We have a Clams Progress thread, but I'll say here that I've made a lot of progress over the last couple of days. They are still pretty ragged, but not looking too bad. Shouldn't be long now.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #539
Wizwad
Only me...

I'm guessing - no later than, say, October, then?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #540
henemly
asdf

I'd guess closer, maybe 2 to 4 weeks.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows