Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #821
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

We have been through this question before on the boards - on second thought there probably aren't that many topics we haven't discussed before. The search function works wonders.

It happens very very infrequently on lcd's, I mean you really have to be working at it to get it to happen; but to cure "burn-in" ( which isn't really burn in, its more like stuck pixels ) throw up a bright white image and leave it for a few days. That should fix the problem.

Ed is correct on plasma - they suffer from burn in much worse than lcd.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #822
jleslie
Engineer

I think some people in some parts of the world will still have CRTs (including the USA, especially for the accurate colour response) and some people will display the aquarium on a plasma. Also regardless of whether it's called a screen-saver or not it is reasonable to take some measures to avoid burn-in on a program that people might leave running for extended periods of time... tho (i) if they leave it paused it's kinda down to them (actually, personally I'd nudge it a little bit, in software, every 30 mins) and (ii) if they have a display so wide it can't scroll then they should be expert enough to understand the issues.
I also would like it if we could get past telling people to shut up...
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #823
cjmaddy
Registered

I agree.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #824
JohnWho
Registered

Originally posted by ESHIREY:
WOW. I haven't heard of the burn in on LCD'S.  
Honestly, ESHIREY, if I hadn't seen it myself I'd be very skeptical of anyone saying it, too.

Can't say either way whether the PC repair shop where I saw them tried the "bright white image and leave it for a few days" trick.
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #825
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

All this fuss about "burn in". On my screen and I will bet a box of doughnuts on 99% of other Window users is a very stationary set of pixels. Bottom left and identified with a big letters Start. It would seem to me that "IF" burn in was a serious a problem then the task bar would show up like a flag. And I do not see one in spite of that area being 100% static and refreshed in most cases only when shutting the computer off.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #826
henemly
asdf

That's a good point. I been using (and now too) crt's for 20 years.
The taskbar area never shows any 'burn-in'.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #827
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Also with the task bar I agree but some people like my self have all my icons and task bar hidden.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #828
JohnWho
Registered

Yep, and when one's screen saver does come on, it refreshes that area as well.

Also, if you run any program "full screen", it covers the "start" button.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #829
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Yep, and when one's screen saver does come on, it refreshes that area as well.

Also, if you run any program "full screen", it covers the "start" button.  
All true, one can also have the task bar on "auto hide" .But I suspect the vast majority of Window users do none of those things... ever. And frankly probably would not recognize a burn in either.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #830
Angalador
Registered

Burn In

I have used the same LCD monitor for over a year and a half. My computer is ON most of the time. Sometimes I'll remember to turn the screen saver on, but usually I don't because I sleep restlessly and will often wake, and check the progress of what ever I am doing on the computer and it is easier to leave the SCR off so I can just roll over.. look at my monitor, grunt, and go back to sleep. (When I do have it on.. those fish just rock! I have been known to just lay half drowsing on my bed, watching the aquarium... I totally love Marine Aquarium).

So for a year and a half my monitor has basically been running non stop. I see no burn in anywhere on it. Not the task bar, not the icons, not even my back ground image that is of one of my digital manipulations.

If others are experiencing Burn-In...

Anyway from my experience, no issues. What others might experience who knows. Not all comps are built the same, and not all settings are identical. You need to consider that for some, their settings will be much different than others and it may be the settings that starts the burn-in for LCD's...

My sister has her bright and gamma at what I consider to be nearly overpowering.. but she can't read the computer otherwise (vision problems).. I expect her new LCD will eventually experience something like burn-in because of it.

~A
Angalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #831
twkatadin
Registered

Plasma Burn in

Just as a side note, burn in on Plasmas is greatly exaggerated / overblown. It's a very common myth that plasmas are horrible in that regard. Yes, plasmas can get burn in, while LCDs 99% of the time can't, however, you have to be really trying to get it to happen. Now, I can't speak for using it as a computer monitor, but I've had a Panasonic plasma for 7 years, and I watch lots of movies and play video games. I've had some marathon gaming session with friends, 8 or 10 hours at a time. I've never seen even the ghost of image retention or burn in. And with modern TVs it's even more rare. Just walk through your local store and look at the display models that have the same image on them all day long (some store do this as opposed to playing demo videos, or the demos have a logo that is always in the same place). I've never seen one burned in. Most sets that get burn in are defective. Image retention is slightly more common, but can be erased in a few minutes or hours.
twkatadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #832
jlsmmc
Registered

LCD's do not suffer from "burn in" as such....they suffer, in some case from "persistence"... that is the image or shadow of an image will remain on the screen until a user uses another image to "over write" the first..

I had this issue with an earlier version of MA...i had persistant "shadows" of the crystal area and some other items on the screen.....then again these were on early versions of LCD screens.

with new plasma screens there is a "shifting" of pixels that can be turned on...this helps to eliminate persistent images.....looks goofy on straight text items as the screen shifts side to side every few seconds, but on a movie or screen saver...oooppppsss..."virtual aquarium"...it should work fine...

...j.
jlsmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #833
Air
Registered

Hello, help with why the version 3, there is no automatic switching on and off the aquarium lighting?
Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #834
Jim Sachs
Developer

It is planned.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #835
balazslaci
Registered

Power Options

When I apply the Marine Aquarium screensaver, the Power Options of my computer is disabled: after the presetted time the screen turns off, but the computer is not entering into stand by. Because I often leave the computer and sometimes come back after hours, it would be nice if it could enter on stand by. Have this problem a solution?
Thank you
balazslaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #836
Wizwad
Only me...

I just downloaded the latest beta onto my latest resurrected PC with top quality GeForce 7600GS graphics card and I think it's brilliant. I've been sitting with my nose pressed up against the monitor for the last 1/2 hour. It's getting embarrassing.

I love the background colours, I love the fade out / fade in of the 'logos', I love the option for different colours on the calendar.

Now just waiting for that oil rig. Oh, wait...
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #837
JohnWho
Registered

Another MA3 sighting:

On the "big screen" at a PC Users Group meeting.

The current "11f" up there for all to see.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #838
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's about the nicest venue for a user group meeting that I've ever seen.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #839
JohnWho
Registered

We are fortunate to be able to use that auditorium for our meetings.

MA looked most excellent on the projector's screen. The picture I took is slightly fuzzy but at least it captures the venue somewhat.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #840
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Looks good to me John. I am assuming that you are the one that managed to get that up there?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows