Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 10-18-2002, 12:29 AM   #1
Rob Hahn

Can't launch application

I'm a registered user of Aquarium and it works fine on my DP 1GHz machine, but when I try & launch the app on my DP 1.25 Mac, nothing happens.

The application zooms open but it just 'returns' to the app icon and the Aquarium isn't launched.

Any ideas what I can do? I left this message to tech support but no one has emailed me back an answer, so I thought I'd try here.

-Rob
Old 10-18-2002, 09:13 AM   #2
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi Rob,

The problem has to do with permissions (I think). Users have reported that they can open the application with a different user name with no problem.

Please get v1.1.3 and see if that solves the problem for you.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
Rob Hahn

Thanks Jim. I tried to find 1.1.3, but all I can find is 1.1.2. Am I looking in the wrong place?

-Rob
Old 10-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
Unregistered

Dead Application

When I first got the program it ran fine. But after setting it up as a screensaver, the regular application will not launch. Screensaver works fine.

I tried trashing everything including all preference files, and reinstalling, entered the keycode again, and still the application will not launch.

I tried removing the screensaver program from my screensaver library, still the application will not launch.

I am running version 1.1.2 which is the latest available for the Mac X.

Any suggestions
Old 10-22-2002, 05:37 PM   #5
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

v1.1.3 should be on SereneScreen shortly. For those not having this particular problem don't bother downloading it. There is one TINY optmization which you won't notice. There aren't actually any other code changes. v1.1.3 is a non-event if you aren't having this problem described above. I just kicked it out when I found that rebuilding the current code fixed the problem for everyone who had seen this problem to date.

People who contact me directly will get a pointer to my copy until it is posted in the official place. My DSL line can't handle everyone downloading this just to try it out.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 11-03-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
Unregistered

Unhappy Still having app launch problems on OS X

I just bought Marine Aquarium today, which is about two weeks after the program was supposedly updated, and the app won't launch on my Jag machine. Bummer.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
Unregistered

Big Grin No Launch in OS X, not a permissions issue

By the way, I don't think its a permissions issue. I just went to the app icon, clicked get info, and checked the permissions. I am the administrator and root user, and I have no permissions issues with any other apps, or any files. I had hoped to be able to have this thing playing in the background somehow, like on my desktop, as I work. If I can't do that, I'd like to get my money back. Although, I'd rather use it, because its visuals are really pretty stunning.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:06 AM   #8
Unregistered

Great Support response--Thanks

No more problems. The app launches just fine in v.1.1.3. And I really appreciate the quick response time. Nice work. I've already impressed my wife with this software and encouraged her to spread the word at work (10,000 employees). I hope you get a lot of sales for nice software, and to reward you for paying attention to complaints.

Two suggestions.

First, Sometimes, when MA is running in the background, the sound cuts out, even though I have a nice video card running Quartz Extreme and a pro audio card with its own DSP's. I run audio software that doesn't have this kind of glitch, so I don't think its an OS X issue, or an audio card issue.

Second, is there a way you could design this thing as actually becoming part of the desktop? That way, I could see my mounted volumes over the acquarium and just leave it running all the time? Is there a way to do that now?

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:17 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There is no official way to run the Mac aquarium in the background, but if your browse the Mac OS forum, there's several unofficial ways to do it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:01 PM   #10
frisket342
Registered

I am experiencing same problem, zoom rectangles but application won't launch. Screen saver does work (when copied to appropriate library folder). When will 1.1.3 be available?
frisket342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 04:27 PM   #11
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Prolific has been reorganizing the server. Leave feedback at the OrderNDev web site and I'll walk you through getting 1.1.3 the temporary way.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 12-09-2002, 11:26 PM   #12
stress
Registered

Hi,
I'm new to MA and I'm sure I will just love it if I can get it to run!!
I have an IMAC 400DV with 512 ram. I just converted to Jaguar X.2.2
The program runs for a few seconds then it freezes...I can't do anything except restart the computer...
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Thanks,
stress
stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:15 PM   #13
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The iMac DV 400's have a driver bug which Apple hasn't fixed yet. Unfortunately, there isn't a workaround. Game developers have also been on Apple to fix it for a number of years. They repro'd the bug before we shipped in July, but we haven't heard back from that after that.

I'm VERY sorry.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 12-10-2002, 06:15 PM   #14
stress
Registered

Thanks for your reply....and 1.1.3 wouldn't work either???
stress
Old 12-10-2002, 07:33 PM   #15
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

No, I'm sorry, v1.1.3 won't help this problem. "No workaround" means we are toast until Apple gets to it.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 12-26-2002, 11:27 PM   #16
Unregistered

Smile

I have 400 iMac DV as well and v1.1.2 is working fine. I had the same problem until switched color "millions to thousands" and checked "economize video memory" in the configure section.
Hope that will help.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:50 PM   #17
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Thanks for the info. We had theorized that thousands and economize MIGHT help, but I don't recall ever getting a verification. Please note that because it worked for the above person DOESN'T mean that it will work for all iMac 400 DVs. It MAY work for others.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 12-31-2002, 09:16 AM   #18
Unregistered

Won't run on TiBook?

I have a 667mhz TiBook (PowerBook G4), the DVI version. OS X 10.2.3, 512mb memory.

When I attempt to run the demo version of Marine Aquarium nothing happens. It doesn't load.

The OS 9 demo version works fine on my G4 tower (QuickSilver).

Any ideas?

Mark
Old 12-31-2002, 12:59 PM   #19
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Try downloading the 1.1.3 version from the Order N Development web site <http://www.orderndev.com> and see if it solves the problem. Please let us know whether or not it works for you.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:57 PM   #20
stress
Registered

Hi All,

About a month ago I posted in this thread that I couldn't load or run MA, the screen would freeze. Since then, Apple has come out with an OS X.2.3 update... Apple had assured me that this update would address the problem the IMAC 400DV had with MA and certain Screen Effects...and I'm happy to report that it did!! All's Well With The World, Again!
Happy New Year, everyone....
stress
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive