Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 02-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #61
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

This year, next year, I doubt either.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #62
Jim Sachs
Developer

There is absolutely no benefit for me to guess when it will be released.

Here's an analogy: Say you are in Aspen, Colorado. That's your starting point. Now pick a coordinate 100 miles away. Someplace no one has ever been before. That's your destination. How long will it take you to get there? It's impossible to say - there are too many unknowns. Is there a road leading anywhere near there? If so, could someone give you a ride partway? Or will you have to scramble on foot over virtually impassable mountains with no map or compass? The only answer is "Somewhere between a few hours and never".

Anyone who is planning their life around the release date should find something else to do.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:14 AM   #63
cjmaddy
Registered

That's what I call conclusive!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #64
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Hanywella:
With all my respect to you Jim ..

and i want 2 ask you again ..
WHEN the NEW MARINE AQUARIUM WILL be relased .. just 2 naw ..
if it will not relased in this year say 2 me (It will released the next year) in 2006  
Ask all you want, but no release date is even in sight or estimation at this point. Jim's first estimates on release date were 2002 and then 2003. So at this point, it happens when it happens.

Realize that Jim is not using existing technology but having to create something new to do animated corals and fish animation the way he wants to. And he's developing it in a vacuum, without the help or hints of anyone else. Do I think this is a good strategy? No, but it's Jim's project.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #65
Vish
Registered

San Bernardino's Pet World

Jim

San Bernardino has some really good pet store. Pet World specifically has awesome collection of salt water tanks. I think you might want to try this guy out. May be he will allow you to take some pictures.

There is one in Redlands too, Daryls Pet Store. He also has some good tank setup. You might want to try him too. The owner name is Lez.

Then there is one in Sierra Ave when you go west on I-10, in Fontana. They also have a very good collection.

Let me know if you need their addresses and or phone numbers.

--Vish
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:09 AM   #66
Jim Sachs
Developer

Pet World was the first pet store I visited when I got the idea for the Aquarium. I did a lot of reasearch there, but they have not been very cooperative, in spite of the fact that I mentioned them on the website and in the first versions of the program.

Daryl's just never had much marine stock that I could use.

The owner of the place in Fontana was just downright unfriendly when I asked if I could take pictures there 4 years ago. This attitude seems to be the norm, though I've never understood why.

The good news is that yesterday I talked to the owner of Total Tropical Fish in Upland, and he is very cooperative. I'll be doing a photo-shoot there next week.

I'm also going to Chicago tomorrow, and will be looking at the Shedd Aquarium, Aquatic World, and any other aquarium stores I can find.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-20-2005, 03:11 AM   #67
drfish
the Doc

While you're in Chicago you should stop by EccoReef in Zeeland, it's only 3 hours away is by far the best saltwater fish shop in the Holland/Zeeland area...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #68
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

All marine fish store owners in the U.S. must know of your product, Jim, and while many must love your work, some probably don't like you very much because they feel you may be taking business away from them. Why pay thousands of dollars when you can only pay 20?

But while you're in Chicago, maybe you could make a quick stop over to Buffalo. The Fish Place, in North Tonawanda, NY, Phone: (716) 693-4411 is where I used to buy all my fish supplies. It's really huge and has a wonderful marine selection. I used to go there with my daughter to just look around like we were at the aquarium or zoo. Call ahead to be sure they will allow you to take pictures. I'd hate for you to go there and then they said no.

Established: 1986

Business Description: WESTERN NEW YORK'S ONLY REAL SPECIALTY SHOP. WE HAVE ONE OF THE LARGEST SELECTIONS OF FISH IN THE UNITED STATES. WE RECEIVE NEW SHIPMENTS OF FISH DAILY. FRESH WATER FISH, SALT WATER FISH, TROPICAL FISH.

Business Hours:
Monday: 12pm - 9
Tuesday: 12pm - 9
Wednesday: 12pm - 9
Thursday: 12pm - 9
Friday: 12pm - 9
Saturday: 10am - 6pm
Sunday: 11am - 5pm
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #69
Jim Sachs
Developer

Couln't make it to any aquarium stores (just missed Aquatic World by a couple of minutes).

But I did go to the Shedd Aquarium, and it's really a fabulous place. Probably the best public aquarium I've ever been to. I took a lot of pictures of reef tanks, and am going through them now.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 AM   #70
drfish
the Doc

Told ya! I'm pretty spoiled having Shedd as my "local" aquarium, I haven't seen anything better yet!
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #71
Rob
Registered

I went to Shedd when i was up in chicago, really cool place. Newport aquarium (newport kentucky, across from cincinnati) has a great aquarium also. You may try contacting the aquariums, there might be some interest in them providing photos for you to use and you providing them some credit for the photo's. Maybe even branded versions of the screen saver to sell at their shops.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 AM   #72
Quick Death
Registered

Cool

Jim -- any update on the Freshwater aquarium? Anymore screenshots or programming that you've done on this?
Quick Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #73
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Quick Death:
Jim -- any update on the Freshwater aquarium? Anymore screenshots or programming that you've done on this?  
The Freshwater aquarium is put on hold. Jim is currently working on two new fish for the Marine aquarium, then next thing is the 3D-background for the Marine Aquarium.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #74
Rich
this is me,and only me.

the marine aquarium update sounds great,but I can wait as long as it ttakes for the freshwater aquarium to be released,hey I have my own tanks that I can sit and watch if I want to.plus having marine aquarium 2 as my screensaver, I have all the fish I need..
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #75
cjmaddy
Registered

How refreshing to hear someone say that they are satisfied with what they have, instead of always asking for more!

/Tiny Oliver? ... (With apologies to TT.)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #76
Wizwad
Only me...

Please, Sir, ...

Actually, I'm quite happy, too. I have a variety of beautiful screen savers, not all by Jim or Prolific, but those from these last two are wonderful - and never make my pc/laptop freeze forcing a hard reboot!!!

So good work guys.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #77
klyntun

Ditto.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #78
Quick Death
Registered

Jim -- any update on the progress of FreshWater Aquarium?? Last I heard/saw was the treasure chest.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 AM   #79
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Freshwater Aquarium is on indefinite hold.

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #80
Quick Death
Registered

what a shame. it was MUCH prettier than MA imho. Oh well, maybe Jim will reconsider in the future
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium