Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-23-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Can't stop MA 2.01 from flickering

My Marine Aquarium v2.01 flickers every 30 seconds or so, otherwise it works fine. I am using an ATI Radeon 9200SE video card on an Intel D865GBF PC with Windows XP Home SP2 (3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDRAM). Screen resolution is 1024X768 32bit. My video drivers are up to date. I have tried rolling them back. The refresh rate is set to 62 next setting down is 58 - still flickers.
Is there something that I'm missing here?
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Is there anything else running that could be making it take a slight hit every 30 seconds? Email, live updates for antivirus programs, anything like that?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:11 AM   #3
Wizwad
Only me...

Running the 'Search' function in WinXP seems to give this result as well as it refreshes it's results every now and again. Very annoying.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:12 AM   #4
Ex_Brit
Geordie

The only running processes are Seti/Boinc (Seti @ Home) and Incredimail.
Seti/Boinc runs silently and only accesses the internet when downloading/uploading data (approx every 3-4 hours).
The Incredimail client accesses the web every minute to check for mail (per my settings).
I'm wondering if the Service Pack 2 has any bearing on this as I don't recall any such problems with SP1.
Normally the only time the SSVR flickers is if my McAfee Viruscan is running.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Seti/Boinc as well as the Incredimail client may be taking away some CPU
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Originally posted by patscarr
Seti/Boinc as well as the Incredimail client may be taking away some CPU
I have twin processors so Seti/Boinc uses 50% of my total CPU. I used to run Seti Classic which used 100% of my total CPU and the SSVR worked fine even then.
Hmmmmmm - gremlins, gnomes, elves?????? LOL
No bugs in system either, I constantly check for those.
Oh - I forgot, I don't have a cat, so the fish aren't getting scared.......
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Screen savers have about the lowest priority of anything as far as computers go. If you have something running in the background it can steal clock cycles very easily. Especially since you have something running that needs 50% to start with.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:05 AM   #8
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Originally posted by Jav400
Screen savers have about the lowest priority of anything as far as computers go. If you have something running in the background it can steal clock cycles very easily. Especially since you have something running that needs 50% to start with.
I guess I'll just have to put up with it then. Thanks for the help. But as I said, the old Seti client used 100% of my CPU 100% of the time and MA worked fine! Plus I have numerous ScrSVRS that are "busy" and they all work fine.
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Last edited by Ex_Brit; 08-23-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Peter -

Do you get the same 'hiccup' when you start the program manually? It has a slightly higher priority when run as a program instead of a screensaver.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:48 AM   #10
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Peter -

Do you get the same 'hiccup' when you start the program manually? It has a slightly higher priority when run as a program instead of a screensaver.
I think it is better when I preview now that you say that. I just found this tool, assuming I find out how to use it (!) do you think it would be useful? See: http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-40.shtml
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
Ex_Brit
Geordie

That tool didn't work at all. Problem persists. The Boinc client shouldn't interfere as it has a very low priority and works silently in the background. It hasn't affected any of my other ssvrs either. I'm wondering if this is an SP2 issue.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-29-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
Ex_Brit
Geordie

I did receive an interesting item from MSSupport because coincidentally their 3DWindows XP screensaver has ceased to function correctly. I wont post it here as it's 3 pages long, but it wasn't any help anyway.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #13
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

I have just installed XP2 and see the flickering on the MA2-MD at the bottom where the startmenu is at. Is this the flickering that you are getting?
If it is and I have duplicated the problem, there is a chance of fixing the it. I did noticed that pressing the "F" Key twice got rid of the flickering.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #14
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Originally posted by Edgar
I have just installed XP2 and see the flickering on the MA2-MD at the bottom where the startmenu is at. Is this the flickering that you are getting?
If it is and I have duplicated the problem, there is a chance of fixing the it. I did noticed that pressing the "F" Key twice got rid of the flickering.
The letter F key? I'll try it. My flickering is the whole screen just flickers off and on for a split second every so often. Most other SSVRS work OK except the Microsoft 3D Windows XP one which refuses to work at all since I got SP2. MS are working on that.
It was mentioned earlier that SSVRS get a low priority in the scheme of things, I wonder if there's a way of giving them a higher one?
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-29-2004, 05:15 PM   #15
Edgar

1 Highscore

I just turned off my firewall because it was interfering with my local network setup. Until I figure out how to use the firewall correctly and still have local file sharing working on my system, it will probably stay off.
Now I did test the MA2-MD again and the flickering was gone. Ex_Brit, can you test MA2 temporarily with the Firewall turned off and let me know if the flickering is still there?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 08-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #16
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Originally posted by Edgar
I just turned off my firewall because it was interfering with my local network setup. Until I figure out how to use the firewall correctly and still have local file sharing working on my system, it will probably stay off.
Now I did test the MA2-MD again and the flickering was gone. Ex_Brit, can you test MA2 temporarily with the Firewall turned off and let me know if the flickering is still there?
I don't use Windows Firewall. I turned off my McAfee Firewall Plus for 2 minutes (didn't dare do longer as I'm on an "always on" cable connection) and it flickered once during that period.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-30-2004, 08:41 AM   #17
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Well folks, I want to thank you for your help and suggestions. It turned out that although I thought my video drivers were up to date, they weren't. The MA appears to be working perfectly now.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #18
Edgar

1 Highscore

That is excellent news.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 08-30-2004, 09:39 AM   #19
Ex_Brit
Geordie

O.K! Now how about a whole school of neon tetras?? Just kidding
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive