Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Thumbs Up Aquarium Bugs

We are in the process of making a comprehensive list of everything in the Aquarium that could be considered a bug.

If it's not listed here, it won't be worked on!

Here's my list so far...

<li>1.0-1.1.2 installer reports the Aquarium disk space requirement as 160kb. It should report 1.6MB.

<li>The Aquarium is minimized to the taskbar by certain applications such as e-mail clients and ZoneAlarm.

<li>The Aquarium crashes Eudora Pro 5.1 on my Windows 2000 system with nVidia 12.41 drivers. (the latest drivers are not compatible with QuickBASIC ).

<li>The Aquarium uses 100% of the CPU or whatever % CPU idle is available. This increases the temperature of the faster CPUs like Athlons and Pentium 4s as much as 12 degrees. On an Athlon system, the Aquarium should not need more than 3% of the CPU to render ~60 frames per second and send to the video card.

<li>On some Windows 2000 systems, pressing the Ctrl key is considered a "mouse movement".

<li>On selected systems, the Aquarium's sound initialization procedure disables sound from any other application. This is probably limited to the earlier half-duplex sound cards. The behavior of the "0" setting for the volume in the Aquarium should be that the sound is not even initialized. Note that turning on the sound in the Aquarium may require the Aquarium to "soft reboot".

<li>In the Screen Saver "Preview", it is impossible to bring up the About box by pressing A.

I realize that my Eudora problem might be a bug in Eudora or would be fixed with newer drivers. But the others I listed are bonafide bugs.

Please post anything you can think of.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 05-21-2002 at 11:48 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
olyar15
Registered

The only bug I seem to be having is "Limit frame rate to 60" actually limits frame rate to 50. Not a big deal, since I leave Vsync on and that limits frame rate to monitor refresh. That is the only "bug" I have encountered.
Charles
olyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 06:26 AM   #3
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

The monitor doesn’t shut off with the Power Saver. I have it set at 2 hours, but have tested it for many different times.

Intel P3 1GHz
Win XP home
Asus GeForce3 ti200
512 RAM
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

The "Royal Gramma left fin is glowing in the dark" bug is still available.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:11 AM   #5
IXNAY
Green Frog

I have no bugs but it's runing slow:
30fps at 400MHz, 256RAM, TNT2 and Direct X8
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's the TNT2.

What resolution are you running?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-23-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

IXNAY,

That could be about right, depending on what resolution you are running. I have a TNT2 video card on my office system that runs the aquarium, and I am in that range running at 1600x1200, at least I think thats what it is, I'll have to look tomorrow. The strain is mainly on your video card, your processor doesn't carry the load.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:41 PM   #8
memilm
Registered

Win98 SE german with Voodoo3 2000 Card.

Screensaver with desktop-link started, Alt-Tab, the screensaver is disapearing somewhere ... with Alt-Tab I can't bring it back on screen, no trayicon or task in task-list.
By trying to start it again from desktop-link nothing happens, I must logoff or reboot my machine to start it again.
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 04:51 PM   #9
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Alt-Tab, the screensaver is disapearing somewhere
Yes this happens to me also under Windows Me. The aquarium seems to use Alt-Tab as an internal shortcut: "minimize to nowhere". The reason that you can't use Alt-Tab after that is because the aquarium is still running and the task key Alt-Tab should always be disabled by a screensaver when it runs. I suspect this to be a Win95/98/Me bug, since the whole task keys thing works differently under Win2K/XP.

memilm,
You can download my tool "Task Keys Reviver", so you don't have to reboot when this happens again.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/keys.zip
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 08:09 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The reason that you can't use Alt-Tab after that is because the aquarium is still running and the task key Alt-Tab should always be disabled by a screensaver when it runs.
Actually, screen savers should not disable Alt-Tab unless they have been triggered due to a system event, such as 5-10 minutes of elapsed time (whatever you have it set to).

Otherwise, Alt-Tab should be passed to the OS normally.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:51 AM   #11
IXNAY
Green Frog

1024x768, but I don't know why, now I have about 50fps. Maybe somebody switched on the turbo on my PC
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:50 PM   #12
nreimer
Registered

I use Eudora 5.1 with Windows 2000. No problems with the aquarium crashing. I have an 16 MB ATI Rage card on my Dell system.
nreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:47 AM   #13
Axle
Registered

Originally posted by Lostboy
The monitor doesn’t shut off with the Power Saver. I have it set at 2 hours, but have tested it for many different times.
Same problem for me.

Also screensaver comes on while using the DivX Player 2.0 Alpha- while watching the movie causing both to crash (and the bubble sound stays until both tasks are ended). Results in a blank wallpaper (icons remain however).

Athlon 650 MHz
Voodoo 3 2000
256 SDRAM
Axle Foley
Avid User of SereneScreen Aquarium
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:43 AM   #14
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

In this case the DivX Player should prevent the start of a screensaver.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:25 PM   #15
Quango
Registered

DISAPPEARING FISHTANK :-)

I did a search for nortons antivirus and it came up with nothing so i'll post here and see what you think.

On my win2k system if the aquarium screen saver is running and nortons antivirus then starts up, the fishtank disappears but the tank noises remain, and the fishtank cannot be returned to, or re-run from the icon.
I either have to kill the process, or if it is not bothering me much, i just ignore it and keep working, and it eventually stops??

I have only noticed this recently as i have scheduled my virus scan for lunchtime, and have been taking lunches earlier than usual ro screen saver kicks in first then virus scan.

No big deal, just thought i'd mention it.
Quango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I also run Norton, but can restart the SS from a minimized position.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:39 AM   #17
gjw
Registered

Smile Monitor sleep-mode bug

I've looked through quite a few of the messages and there seems to be fixes for most everything except the monitor sleep-mode bug.
Just wondered if this one was officially recognized yet.

I'm using version 1.1 on a Pentium-4 under WinXP.

The disable monitor sleep mode box is not checked but I've tried various time periods and the sleep mode never kicks in.

I was also wondering about the CTRL-S and CTRL-T fixes.
On my computer (all 3 computers actually) pressing the CTRL key alone (no mouse movement) is enough to interrupt any screen saver running so how can any CTRL-key combination be used with Aquarium?

Thanks all.
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:39 AM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This is, in itself, a bug.

Which I have reported in the "Aquarium bugs" thread.

The solution to the Ctrl key is to press SPACE and turn off "Exit on Mouse Move".

I am moving this thread under the "Aquarium bugs" topic.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:34 AM   #19
albrt
Registered

I have had the problem (bug) with the Aquarium minimizing to the taskbar when I get a new mail notification since the 1.0 came out to the point that I get frustrated and don't use the aquarium whenever I am away from my desk..Is there a fix for this yet??
thank you......
albrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 09:47 PM   #20
qbus
Registered

star fish

well i dont know if it is a common bug but i have had the star fish fly off the screen once.. it was the backround light up and forground light down
qbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive