Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 03:33 AM   #1
chrisb
Registered

DSL modem wont reconnect asfter SS ??

Hi my 1st time here, I've had the SS for a while now. I've just signed up for DSL & recieved my Alcatel 330 Speedtouch modem. The problem is (& it took me a while to work out it was the SS !) after 3-4 hours of the SS being on, I cant reconnect to the internet, it just shows "error 650 cant get dialtone". If I reboot or unplug the Usb for the modem & plug back in all ok. I've found that if I turn off the SS the problem dissapears. I love my Screensaver........ can u help ??

Thanks in advance

Chris
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Socrates
Sage

The first thing to say is, I hope you are not using "Enternet" for a dialer. Assuming you are not....

I try to avoid using USB for anything lik LAN or DSL, etc.

Lots of USB devices "Drop out" of existence randomly under the strangest circumstances and have to be unplugged and plugged in or have their driver disabled and enabled, etc.

I've been seeing this problem more and more, but have not seen the SS cause it.

As an example, I have a USB printer adapter. It will randomly just dissapear once every two weeks. I somtimes do race control at an R/C Track, and the AMB box that receives the transponder signals sometimes randomly disappears. A customer has a steering wheel that will arbitrairly need to be unlugged and plugged back in to work. The list goes on and on.

I don't know if this is your problem. Just something I have been seeing for a while now. Does the modem have an Ethernet port also? Might try that setup.

You also might want to tell us more about your DSL setup... like what dialer and ISP.... so people will compare it to their own experience.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If it's that Enternet 300 software, replace it with RasPPPoE or some other software from www.dslreports. Enternet makes your computer unstable and causes lots of problems.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:07 AM   #4
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by feldon23
Enternet makes your computer unstable and causes lots of problems.

Even when it's running fine, and not messing up other things, it will just randomly shoose not to connect. Sometimes you have to reboot to make it come alive again. It is the worst peice of software I have ever seen an ISP distribute... right after every version of America Online
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:47 AM   #5
chrisb
Registered

Thanks for the advice guys, here the extra info you wanted

1) No I'm not using Enternet
2) No I don't have an Ethernet port
3) Modem is an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 connecting to PIPEX using a standard PPP DUN Connection.

I'm going to try another screensaver and see if that gives the same problem, I'll try & find an appropriate one that will push the machine & let u know, unless anyone has anymore advice.
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive