Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-15-2002, 09:21 AM   #1
teac
Registered

Cool PCHealth Scheduler

The PCHealth Scheduler in Windows don't start if Aquarium is enabled.

By default, the scheduler start after 4-5 min. if the PC is idle, and again after 9 min. It run twise in 24 hour.The Aquarium is set to start after 12 minutes.

Why is that?
teac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
teac
Registered

No response.. maybe my english typing isn't good enought?

I'm using Windows ME, and since this Scheduled Task is _build_in in the OS, I dont want to disable it for ever.

I purchased the Aquarium1.1 after only wieving the demo. 5 minutes, because it was the best screensaver I ever have seen..

I dont think I'm the onlyone have notice this error, bug, orwhatever?

Even sent mail to SSA-support, have not respone to my mail..

*AOpen MB*
*Duron 950*
*GF2-400-64MB*
*Apacer 512MBRAM*
Old 12-17-2002, 06:56 PM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

Anybody else out there using WinME who has experience with this?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
Socrates
Sage

Are we talking about Task Scheduler?

If so, I never had a problem with scheduled tasks running on ME because of SSA.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 09:18 PM   #5
55MHz
Registered

If i may ask, what do you use Task Scheduler for?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-your ad could be here-
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
55MHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 09:28 PM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I used to set mine to do virus updates and complete scans in the middle of the night when I didn't have to be bothered with it.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 11:25 PM   #7
Socrates
Sage

On win9x machines you mostly use it to schedule Disk Scaning and Defragmenting. On Win9x, the Critical Update thing relies on this (or did they change that). Can schedule any program and do cool stuff like come out of sleep to do it, etc.

On Win2K servers, I often use it to stagger services that can conflict on startup.

Every program that runs things on a interval SHOULD use task scheduler to run the program only when the apporpriate time comes instead of staying resident in memory eternally.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:00 AM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Teac's question is regarding interference with the automatic startup time for the PCHealth scheduler. Does anyone have any personal experience with this problem? I don't see any way that a screensaver which is set to come on at 12 minutes can affect any timer which is set to come on at 4 minutes. There is no part of the program that is even in memory until it is time to launch it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:34 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Teac,
Your English works out just fine. People weren't too sure about your problem, that's all.

Guys,
Task Scheduler and PC Health Scheduler aren't the same thing. The latter is a built in thingy that gathers information about your Windows for "System Restore" and such. (It's extra messy on a Brand PC like Dell or Compaq) After what I've read on the net it seems like a major nuiscance (runs every ten minutes and interfers with for instance CD burning). It's a major resource hog, but can't be disabled (it runs even when "System Restore" is unchecked). This really is kinda weird – Most people want to remove PC Health Scheduler and now it's the other way around. Hmmm...

More reading here:
http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...forum/295.html
and here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=PC...ftngp03&rnum=1

/Tiny Health
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:44 AM   #10
teac
Registered

Hi, thanx for all feedback.

Yes, as Mr. Sachs say, I have set the the time for Aquarium to come on after 12 min. or higher.

Somebody ask what this task do, and why I use it. But as Tiny T. point out, it is build_in in OS.

I can also tell you that I experience the same kind of problem with an other program/application some time ago. It was socalled "desktop dancers" from MP3dancer.com This program go on when you launch some sound to your speakers.

Can it be some kind of soundcard issue? hmm

I will give SSA a second chance, and let it be enabled in my system for several days, and see if PCHealth scheduler win the battle. :-)
Old 12-18-2002, 12:26 PM   #11
teac
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Teac,
Your English works out just fine. People weren't too sure about your problem, that's all.

Guys,
Task Scheduler and PC Health Scheduler aren't the same thing. The latter is a built in thingy that gathers information about your Windows for "System Restore" and such. (It's extra messy on a Brand PC like Dell or Compaq) After what I've read on the net it seems like a major nuiscance (runs every ten minutes and interfers with for instance CD burning). It's a major resource hog, but can't be disabled (it runs even when "System Restore" is unchecked). This really is kinda weird – Most people want to remove PC Health Scheduler and now it's the other way around. Hmmm...

More reading here:
http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...forum/295.html
and here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=PC...ftngp03&rnum=1

/Tiny Health
Interesting links, Tiny. New info.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:16 PM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

It seems like I only complain on the programs you use, Teac, but have you run Lavasoft Ad-Aware after installing those dancers? A little bird whispered in my ear that those were full of spyware and other junk. Might want to check it out. I don't think it's got anything to do with the sound-card (Could be wrong of course). If you choose a different screen-saver than the Aquarium, does PC Health kick back into action? If you remove the Aquarium completely? (Including using the registry cleaner (right-click and choose save)) Keep at it and we'll crack this one...

/Tiny Trouble-shooting
Old 12-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #13
lasermail
Registered

PC Health / Restore points are heavily dependant on available hard drive space, I vaguely recall that certain conditions can cause the feature can disable itself? By chance is your free hard drive space getting low? Have you had any Windows error messages recently?
lasermail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #14
teac
Registered

Hi Tiny, it almost a year since I have those desktop-dancers on my screen. (and I have the registered no_nude version). I never recognized any spyware or things like that. I would guess it's maybe a problem with "Virtual Girls", from the same webpage (mp3dancer.com). Even have formatted my computer two times or so, since.

Tiny T. ask; ""If you choose a different screen-saver than the Aquarium, does PC Health kick back into action?""

Yes, they does. (they allow PCH. in the first place to run after 8 min. of idle.)

From the link you post(groups.google);

""[Pchschd.exe ]..This program simply
checks when run to see if your system is currently idle, if not it then
simply checks again in 10 minutes. If however the system is idle and has
been for the last few minutes it launches winmgmt.exe which collects details
of the current system configuration after which pchschd is set to check
again in six hours. ""

And, Jim Sachs; ""..There is no part of the program (Aquarium) that is even in memory until it is time to launch it.""

Maybe my system needs to be 110% idle. ;-)
Old 12-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #15
teac
Registered

Originally posted by lasermail
PC Health / Restore points are heavily dependant on available hard drive space, I vaguely recall that certain conditions can cause the feature can disable itself? By chance is your free hard drive space getting low? Have you had any Windows error messages recently?
Have a 20 GB harddrive, 15 GB free space.

In my view it would be nice if PC H. disabled itself. :-)
Old 12-18-2002, 08:13 PM   #16
teac
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
If you remove the Aquarium completely?

/Tiny Trouble-shooting
It's no need to remove Aquarium completely, just disable it in >screen >properties >no screensaver., and re-boot the computer. Then PC Health run the task as it should.

Last edited by teac; 12-18-2002 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:19 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Just curious, ...... is this (PC Health) doing a similar sort of job to 'GoBack' ?

I swear by GoBack, it's right at the top of my must have list, - never causes any problems at all. I would recommend it to anyone, - it's an absolute life saver!

If it is similar, why do most people want to remove it ? ...... just curious!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:09 AM   #18
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

N67, try the upper link in my first post in this thread.

Tiny Linking
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #19
lasermail
Registered

Thumbs Up In my view it would be nice if PC H. disabled itself. :-)

There's a freebie utility that enables you to close/kill/protect running programs (and this includes applications that run hidden in the background)

Using this you disable PC.H as it suits you?

>>http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/
lasermail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:51 PM   #20
teac
Registered

There is no running app. to kill, it never start!

If I ever going to disable this PC Health app., I will do it from >controlpanel>scheduled task, and also uncheck the entry in >MSConfig >startup.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive