Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Eddy'sEddy
Ms. Pat

Cool History of Versions for Serene Screen

Is there a current list of all the versions and their dates created located somewhere on the forum? Back in February 2000 on serenescreen.com there was a list, starting with the first early versions of 8-24-00 thru Version 1.1 in 2-200.
Eddy'sEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/
and click on News Archive.

I really should put the initial release of the Aquarium even tho I wasn't around for that.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Eddy'sEddy
Ms. Pat

Thanks for answering my question. I first bought the Aquarium, Version 99D, back in October, 2000. I first saw the aquarium on all the display computers at an Office Depot in my area.. A sales clerk was nice enough to give me the info I needed to find the aquarium online and purchase it. I also have been with your forum since the beginning. I have enjoyed it very much and have learned a lot. I am a reader not a talker. Thanks again!!
Eddy'sEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
Dave Snotear
Registered

Hey Morgan...It,s been a while since I posted anything but I,ve been keeping up with the FORUM...The earliset versions I can find on my computer are aquarium999 dated 08-25-2000 and Aquarium99A dated 08-30-2000.They then continue on through MAquarium-V2-MD dated 05-24-2004.I also have a large number of HTML documents from www.fish-byte.com dated as far back as November 24,2000.Hoping to soon be receiving an email with a new keycode.Keep up your good work and don't let all this whining get to you.It happens almost every time there is an update.Later.
Dave Snotear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

You realize of course that Morgan has absolutely nothing to do with handing out Key Codes. Posting a message like this in the Forum really does nothing. Prolific employees are way too swamped to read the Forum, with the occasional exception of Edgar (looking for bugs), and Jim R. (making announcements). Even if Auden, the Customer-Support guy were to read your message, how would he go about looking up your case file? He would need your personal info (order number, old Key Code, real name, SOMETHING!) to query the database. A web alias just won't do it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:40 AM   #6
Dave Snotear
Registered

Whoa there Jim.All I was doing was entering some information into this thread and making a comment to Morgan that I was patiently waiting to hear from Prolific.If they don't contact me in a few days I will then make an attempt to contact them.I know that neither Morgan or for that matter you issue keycodes and it was not my intention to attempt to get one in this manner.Take a deep breath and relax.I'm one of the most easygoing people you'll ever meet and don't wish to make a trying situation like issuing new keycodes to some very impatient people any more difficult than it already is.Have a nice weekend.

Furthermore I am not ignorant of the procedures to update this program and would not attempt to handle my business in the manner you describe in your post.
Thanks for your time.
Jim Clarke
Dave Snotear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

I think Jim took your post in the wrong context maybe??
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I was going to ask Jim Sachs who he was typing to because it didn't seem to me that it could be aimed toward Jim Clarke.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sorry, Jim Clarke. I did take it the wrong way, but we get hundreds of such messages that are for real, though usually filled with profanity. Those usually get passed on to Reichart, who has an unusual way of dealing with them. He actually counts the number of times each profane word is used, and replies using the same number (minus one, so that he can't be accused of escalation). Irate customers are usually taken aback, "Hey, you can't talk to me like that!" Ha, ha - Reichart finds it very therapeutic, but I wouldn't.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

When are you having a holiday, Jim? ...
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Socrates
Sage

the oldest verson I personally I have is 99D dated 12-1-2000. I do't keep old download files for too many things, but this one is obviously very different from most things.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
cjmaddy
Registered

I thought I was the only hoarder of things like that! - My earliest is Aquarium99L.exe 13/09/01 (9-13-2001) ... You must be older than me!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Socrates:
I think Jim (Sachs) took your post in the wrong context maybe??  
Jim Clarke started with "Morgan..." and then talked about the update, and to 'not worry about whining', etc.. I'm just a journalist covering another stumble by Prolific. Don't kill the messenger.

Jim Clarke's comments, as on-point as they may be, are best addressed to Jim Sachs or Prolific.

I have lots of archived betas of the Aquarium including an aborted attempt at a teenage Queen Angel. There's a pic around here somewhere (you didn't miss much, the current one is simply the best). And of course the first betas of the Lionfish which routinely teleported through the coral until Jim gutted and rewrote the collision avoidance code.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #14
Wizwad
Only me...

the Lionfish which routinely teleported through the coral until Jim gutted and rewrote the ... code
I read that and first thought and then thought about it and wondered - is that why, when we click on 'wireframe', that we don't see the fish's internal organs - they've been gutted?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #15
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

A little trip down memory lane; 3Dfiles.com is where I first heard about it in September 2000, I think it was version .99D or so. Been hooked ever since.

http://web.archive.org/web/200010182...aquarium.shtml
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

The link didn't work for me. Are you sure you got it right?

/Tiny 404
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

hmmm... works for me for some reason...

basically it's just this page, but a little earlier.
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #18
cjmaddy
Registered

Re: A little trip down memory lane ...

Originally posted by Lostboy:
A little trip down memory lane; 3Dfiles.com is where I first heard about it in September 2000, I think it was version .99D or so. Been hooked ever since.

http://web.archive.org/web/200010182...aquarium.shtml  
Wow! - Date Added: 09/01/00, Downloaded: 249754 Times, .... And that was then!!!

I can't imagine what the total downloads must be by now! - I guess you could call it a success!

..... And rightly so!

ps, - I like the company name, - 'Sachs Enterprises'
Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

2-3 million easy.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

In 2000, it held the record for the quickest program to reach a million downloads from 3DFiles alone. Versions of the program are hosted on many more sites now. I'd guess total downloads are in the 20-30 million range, but it could be ten times that. Of course, an incredibly small fraction end up purchasing. Most are happy with the free demo. The one thing that really surprises me is that sales are amazingly STEADY. It's like selling life insurance - everyone has their own wildly different personal story, but with a large enough pool the Law of Big Numbers takes over, and you can count on the outcome.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive