Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
sonichouse
Registered

Cool Where is the fake desktop thread

I was following with some interest the efforts to force the SS to the desktop background.

The thread has gone from my view of topics, has it been deleted ?

This thread is located at:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...4&goto=newpost
Old 02-12-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
Bob
Registered

Big Grin

Darrell is gone and he will be missed.

I'm not sure how current you were before the thread was pulled, but here is my view of what happened.

Darrell posted that he had worked all weekend and had not been able to get icons to show on top of the aquarium with his helper app running. He went on to say that he did get a skinned version working and posted a screen shot of the skinned aquarium with a wood grained frame.

Jim posted a one word critique -- "Horrible" or something to that effect.

At that point Darrell took his ball and went home. He asked for his helper app not to be distributed and for the thread to be deleted. Apparently Feldon did as Darrell asked.

I was in the middle of reading the last post when the thread was deleted.

Personally I think Darrell over reacted. If he had read this forum a little longer he would know that Jim was very protective of the aquarium and probably worded his criticism too harshly.

If you read the thread from the beginning you know that at first Darrell wasn't going to write his app due to some negitive emails. Then later he got upset and pulled the app. (I don't recall right now why.) And now, with Jim's criticism he is gone again.

I know Darrell from the Stardock newsgroups where he was producing some really great plugins for DesktopX. I don't know what happened there, but just like here he had his apps pulled and dissapeared from the group.

I wish he was a little tougher and not prone to getting mad and leaving. He is a very talented programer.

That being said ---

Now that we know that the screen saver can be used as wallpaper lets hope that Jim, Prolific or some really talented programer on this forum can reproduce Darrell's work and provide the same functionality.

Any takers?

Bob Frank
Old 02-12-2002, 01:37 PM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

I can guarantee that neither I nor Prolific will be doing anything to encourage the plastering of icons, decals, or graffiti on top of the Aquarium. I was depressed all day after seeing those screenshots.

A neat taskbar below the Aquarium window is about as much as I would be willing to accept.

Darrell does seem to be a very talented programmer, and I hope he will use his abilities for good and not evil
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-12-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:10 PM   #4
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
I can guarantee that neither I nor Prolific will be doing anything to encourage the plastering of icons, decals, or graffiti on top of the Aquarium. I was depressed all day after seeing those screenshots.
So it was my screenshots that you thought were horrid? I'm sorry you feel this way.

I really love the aquarium and look forward to your other screen savers. I enjoy having the fish swim out from behind my open application window while I'm working. I like having icons available to open new programs.

I guess you would have really hated seeing a screenshot of the aquarium running behind open application windows.

Darrell's app along with DesktopX allowed me to run the aquarium full time instead of only as a screen saver. This was great.

I thought it was very clear that Darrell was working on a way to use the aquarium as desktop wall paper. I'm surprised to hear that you disapproved so strongly.

Darrell, if you're still around I appologize for posting those pictures and causing you more problems. Why don't you come back to the Stardock groups where you are appreciated?

Bob Frank

Last edited by Bob; 02-12-2002 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:17 PM   #5
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Darrell does seem to be a very talented programmer, and I hope he will use his abilities for good and not evil
I find it strange and harsh to use the term "evil" for what Darell was doing. Jim, I understand why you disaprove the skin idea (I liked it more without the skin too) but please try not being too harsh towards fans who support your work so much. His application was fantastic the way I see it.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:25 PM   #6
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by pipeta

Jim, I understand why you disaprove the skin idea (I liked it more without the skin too) but please try not being too harsh towards fans who support your work so much. His application was fantastic the way I see it.
If you read Jim's post he seems more upset by the icons running on top of the aquarium in my screen shots than by Darrell's skinning version. He also complained about decals and graffiti, of which there was none.

Bob Frank
Old 02-12-2002, 02:33 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah, the skinning version was fine, but the icons plastered all over the screen greatly depressed me. Like seeing your beautiful child covered with tattoos.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-12-2002 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:38 PM   #8
Bob
Registered

Once again, Jim, I'm sorry you feel this way and I appologize for making you feel bad.

I agree that tha aquarium looks best running full screen with nothing else on the computer. But, I can't get much work done with it in that mode.

Let me give you an real life example of why I don't think it is so terrible to run the aquarium as wallpaper under icons and aplications.

I sometimes use a picture of my wife as wallpaper on the desktop, especially when she's out of town. Now, just like the aquarium she looks a lot better with out any thing else on the desktop. But, I get tremendous pleasure seeing her peeking out at me from behind the icons, or poping up into view when I close a running application.

The same goes for the aquarium. It's beautiful full screen, but in order to use it and work at the same time I need to let it run behind icons and open application windows. I really enjoy seeing the fish swimming around behind the open windows.

Obviously we are never going to agree.

It's only 1's and 0's after all.

Bob Frank
Old 02-12-2002, 05:51 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

I respect your point of view - it's certainly a valid one, but of course could never share it. It's just asking too much for the creater of any artwork to happily agree to its modification. I remained silent at the beginning, hoping the thread would just fizzle out, but the screeshots were just too much for me.

I am probably in the minority here, but I also find the network logos in the corner of the TV screen extremely intrusive.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-12-2002 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #10
Darrell L
Registered

Perfect timing Jim.

Last post folks. Just dropping by to have my say in the matter after feldon was kind enough to do as I requested.

I think what Jim fails to realize is that he has crossed a line (actually a couple; but child-like reactions from adults I'm used to.)

Jim, when you decided to make your "art" commercial, you lost control of it. It is no longer yours. It is mine, and it is Bob's, and it is anyone else's from whom you received good money in payment. You have prostituted your work. So deal with the consequences like a man and stop whining everytime someone comes along with an idea of how to make it better from their perspective. Who are you to say what one can and cannot have on their desktop? If you feel so strongly about such things why make it available to the public? Addtionally, if you were really so concerned about such things as you have mentioned then why did you not put a restricted-use clause in your shrink wrap license? At least that way I would have known enough not to waste my $20 bucks on something which has found its way to the recycle bin.

In addition, I think the behaviour exhibited by you and your "supporters" in the "Skinnin Fishes!!!" thread is indicative of the closed-mindedness prevalent on this forum. Here was a youngster who wanted nothing more than to say "great app" in his own way and then ask a simple question concerning customization of the fish. And what did he get for his trouble? A bunch of anal-retentive, closed-minded twits, masquerading as adults, chiming in to make fun of him as if they were all out on the grade school playground taunting the latest "newbie." Made you feel big? Made me sick.

Bob, I have not made my issues with Stardock public, but let me just say in passing that the term "birds of a feather" applies there as well.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:48 PM   #11
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Unhappy

Damn Darrell L , You need to take a chill pill . I made a comment in that "Skinnin Fishes!!!" thread and I don't like what you have to say about that . Sounds to me like YOUR the one that needs to grow up .I tried your program for about 10 min's then took it off . I liked the idea you were going for but it didn't work on my system . I have 3 monitors on my system and when I went to use your program it went into my other monitor and only gave me about 15 fps . I could not get it to stop going into the right monitor . But you didn't see me coming in here bitching about it . So if you can't take what people say ........ then maybe you shouldn't post here . This IS a friendly forum .
Old 02-12-2002, 07:04 PM   #12
Conga 33L
yay yay yayyyy

/me thinks a GROUP HUG's in order.
The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching train.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:05 PM   #13
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Angry

I second that .
Old 02-12-2002, 07:16 PM   #14
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Wshirey, what has Darrel's proggy not working on your 3 monitor setup got to do with anything?

Darrell, I wasn't to impressed with the form the "Skinnin' Fishes"-topic took, but who's the one whining right now?
At least that way I would have known enough not to waste my $20 bucks on something which has found its way to the recycle bin.
In what way is your hard-earned money wasted? The only way I can see that you've wasted it is if you didn't intend to use it as it was and just wanted to modify it, expecting nothing but praise for it. If I'm missing the point, please enlighten me (I know you said it was your last post, but that has happened twice so far...)

This massive whining you talk about actually boils down to a single "Horrendous" which made you pack your bags and leave with your nose up in the air. Isn't Jim entitled to an opinion just as much as you are?
Old 02-12-2002, 08:45 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

Darrell-
The idea that I should have no control over how my artwork is used or even be allowed to express a one-word opinion is preposterous. The fact that I sell it does not give everybody the right to do anything they want to it -- that's what copyright is all about.

If you see nothing of value in the Aquarium, contact Support and I will authorize them to refund your money and remove you from the database.

As long as the gauntlet has been thrown down...Here is my position and pledge:

I am on a lifelong campaign to oppose the "junking up" of the world. I will always do my very best to provide as clean and pure an artistic vision as is humanly possible. The Aquarium and other SereneScreen programs have 3 purposes:

1. To see if a world that has seemingly abandoned quality would even RECOGNIZE it anymore. I'm happy to report an overwhelming yes.

2. To provide a sanctuary from graffiti, boom boxes, gangsta-rap, drugs, and everything else that makes life ugly. Even if you are into that stuff, wouldn't it be nice if there was just ONE PLACE in the world where you could get away from it for a while?

3. To raise $5 million in order to start making a movie which will further these goals. I'm pretty old, so I'm on a time limit here. That's why I have limited the SereneScreen programs to 4. If someone comes along who is willing and capable of continuing the vision, I might be willing to authorize more programs under the SereneScreen banner.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-12-2002 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:12 PM   #16
Bob
Registered

I respect your point of view - it's certainly a valid one, but of course could never share it. It's just asking too much for the creater of any artwork to happily agree to its modification. I remained silent at the beginning, hoping the thread would just fizzle out, but the screeshots were just too much for me.

I am probably in the minority here, but I also find the network logos in the corner of the TV screen extremely intrusive.
The respect is mutual. I now understand the difference in our views.

However there are many artists that produce desktop wallpaper who are very happy to have their artwork displayed on computer screens with icons and application windows partly covering them. So, there are artists who don't mind this kind of "modification."

Considering your usual quick responses to including treasure chests and mermaids that fact that you were silent did leave the impression that Darrell's project was OK with you.

Like you I don't like the on screen network logos, but then some artists put their names in the bottom left corner of their art work, too. ;-)

By the way, what are you going to do when your movie plays on network TV and the logo is there?

Bob Frank
Old 02-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's the beauty of producing an indy film with no outside financing - total control over where and when it plays.

As far as remaining silent, you're probably right. I should have weighed in sooner. I've been working 20 hours a day trying to get the new version out, and just gave the thread a cursory glance until the screenshots caught my attention.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-12-2002, 10:31 PM   #18
Bob
Registered

I regret posting those screen shots. They've been removed and hopefully will never see the light of day again.

Well Jim, it looks like we've beaten this dead horse into ... fish food long enough. Get back to work. ;-) Everyone's waiting for the lion fish and 3d background.

Bob Frank
Old 02-13-2002, 01:11 AM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

Still workn' here. Another all-nighter.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-15-2002, 11:04 AM   #20
Bob
Registered

Darrell if you see this would you please contact me by email?

My address is bobfrank7@home.com

This address will only be good until the 25th of this month.

Thanks,

Bob Frank
Closed Thread
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive